Page 7 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2017, 2:04 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What sport and what awards?

Wheelchair basketball. I've only been to 'friendly' tournaments so far, but it's the World Cup next year so I'm hopeful to go to that.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:02 am

bunnyb wrote:
I couldn't do team sports but I was an above average swimmer. When I was young my Mum was approached about having me trained with a view to going to the olympics but she declined. She didn't feel I would have had time to be a kid.
I have also done equestrian sports up until recently. I loved riding and was good at it. It requires balance, strength, particularly core strength and coordination. I grew up riding so it always felt natural. I think it would be hard to start as an adult.

For a long time I was afraid to swim. After that I was afraid to dive. After that I was and continue to be afraid to dive off the three meter springboard

And when I was on the high school swim team four years it was just junior varsity.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

I began tennis lessons at the late age of 50 and have been taking lessons for two years. I am excited about my continuing improvements in every area, including my endurance. My instructor says that if I keep with it, I could one day enter senior tournaments. Meanwhile, I dream of watching an actual professional tournament, meeting Denis Istomin and writing his life story. I would also like to meet Nadal and Federer.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I began tennis lessons at the late age of 50 and have been taking lessons for two years. I am excited about my continuing improvements in every area, including my endurance. My instructor says that if I keep with it, I could one day enter senior tournaments. Meanwhile, I dream of watching an actual professional tournament, meeting Denis Istomin and writing his life story. I would also like to meet Nadal and Federer.

_________________________________________________________________________________

9th and 12th grades, played girls' team tennis. tennis team. public high school. played about 3 matches or so. it was fun. but kind of meaningless and not worth the effort.

drag around tennis racket all day long. get told off by the coach. whatever.

now what i do is just walk seven miles a day. five days a week. if someone bothers me, i avoid and ignore him. if he proceeds, then i take a videotape and tattle to 911. granted, plenty of precious lil "people" are smarter, faster, stronger, more attractive, richer, and more socially adept than me. (fine). but there is no socially awkward situation where they get to tell me off the way the tennis coach had the nerve to tell me off.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

I thought about becoming a professional tennis player.
It's totally possible, though the after/pre game new conferences they have would be a nightmare.
Even NT's find it irritating.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
I thought about becoming a professional tennis player.
It's totally possible, though the after/pre game new conferences they have would be a nightmare.
Even NT's find it irritating.

What competition did you win such that you could have gone pro

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:52 am

Autism doesn't stop college football player from his dreams

Quote:
Josh Bailey calls it “the dream.”

He started with the dream to play college football.

The junior from Michigan is getting his chance to play college football at Mount St. Joseph. The 6-6, 275-pound offensive tackle is raring to go when the Lions open their Division III season Saturday at Capital University in Columbus.

Bailey is outgoing, well-spoken and successful in school. He's on the dean’s list. But it wasn’t always like that.

“I know it may seem like to most people I don't have autism. But it was different at a really young age,” Bailey said.

“My ultimate dream is to show the world that kids with autism can do extraordinary things and to inspire people with autism to achieve their dreams,” Bailey said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:58 am

There's always someone who bucks the stereotype.

I'm terrible at anything involving speed, hand-eye coordination, and/or a ball.

Even after 20 years of smoking, I could be an epic hiker. I can carry heavy loads and walk for HOURS.

If I trained, I'm pretty sure I could be a weight lifter. 5'7", medium frame, 175 pounds, ZERO training other than working around the house-- I can still dead-lift and carry 90 pounds (a little more than half my body weight).

I never had an Olympic future or anything (terrible form) but at one point in time I was a strong enough swimmer to qualify for water rescue. I STILL have a damn good single-arm sidestroke, can swim using either only arms or only legs, can tread water while supporting someone else...

I'm too big and too unsure of myself now, but at one point in time I could climb trees like a monkey. A very slow, very cautious monkey. But a monkey none the less. My middle daughter inherited the climbing ability. Too bad she didn't get the caution.

It's not common, I don't think, because we tend to be so clumsy. But it's perfectly possible.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

I was pretty athletic when I was younger. I did solo sports and sports that required little eye-hand coordination. I did gymnastics, tennis (this one requires eye-hand coordination so I did not go to far in those classes), taekwondo and kendo. I also loved working out at the gym. I am good as long as I am mostly all by myself.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm

I walk a ton. I don't know if that counts as athletic.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

everybody can be athletic. i played sports as a kid and it was fun. it never got to the point where i would go it professionally, but if you really want to that good and become a famous sports figure, all you got to do is practice and get better at the game. even if you think you know everything there is about the sport, there's always something to learn.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

I was never into team sports, but I was very active as a child. I was very surprised when I could learn to play tennis.

Regarding press conferences, I think Denis Istomin is one of the best at handling them. He responds with a good sense of humor to the interviewers' dumbest questions. I would love to have Denis' grace under pressure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:19 am

No, everybody can not be a famous sports figure. Some people are just not genetically wired for it and clumsiness has been noted as a trait in Aspergers. But the idea that Autistics can never be great athletes is also nonsense. Playing a sport you like is good for you for a number of reasons even if you never become more than pedestrian at it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

I think anyone can be athletic no matter what you have.
Personally I did basketball, hockey, baseball and golf. Also I earned an Eagle scout award.
Currently trying to get into the Forest service.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

Have you never seen the Paralympics?

BBC: Radio 4

Losty
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

Might just be me but I was never competitive enough to play high level sport I won local football best fairest couple times, school athletics champion most years and long distance cross country running but I played sport because I enjoyed it winning and losing never really mattered to me. I see other people especially as I got older and winning was everything to them they train everyday running laps etc I could never motivated myself to do that if wasn't fun or interesting I didn't do it.