Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

HelloWorld314 wrote:

I politely disagree. I have classmates who have represented my country in international high school math/physics/computer science olympics in my university, and guess what...they all have high grades. Also, if you are truly intelligent, you don't even need to study to get good grades in a regular high school, they just come naturally from cramming for exams literally the day before the exams. I am not even that smart compared to some crazy smart people in my universities, yet I can just study the day before the exams and still manage to get good marks into my good university. Yes there are many university dropouts who are very successful, but they have successfully gotten into their universities in the first place and can finish their degrees if they want to. I mean sure if someone chooses not to pursue education after they already have a great plan in mind that is one thing, but failing high school even if the person is not really trying just tells me that the said person is not really intelligent unless they have extreme circumstances like major depression. Furthermore, CEOs and startup founders actually don't need as high an IQ as people in academia in my opinions. You can disagree of course, I have had one professor who has won gold medal at the international high school math olympic at age 15 but it is easy to tell that he would not make a good CEO.

Well, please pardon my cynicism, and good luck. We have lived in different circles, but myself and others feel disaffected by all the phonies around Academia. They almost destroyed Robert Persig, and Feynman busted all of Brazil for not actually teaching physics, just memory work. When I was in school, it took a lot more than cramming to get good grades. If I'd studied Architecture, they would have taught me to use central air conditioning and just let the electric heat come on on the shady side of a building. I wasn't going to pay for that even with the old government guaranteed loans on low tuition. Since then I've watched Sociobiology get shut down by campus politics. This week, the Universities of Saskatchewan announced a million dollar study into small nuclear reactors, starting with a thoroughly disproved premise. The math savants get syphoned off to analyse stocks, and the biologists learn to fake drug studies.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
Is it common to, despite having a high / very high IQ, have such skills in only certain areas? I perform highly in certain areas of science (but not equally in all parts of science) but when it comes to areas outside science and mathematics, I struggle a bit (most noticeably in Literature - I cannot read fiction at all and even struggle with watching films, although I am good with languages and I used to play the piano).

I sometimes feel "stupid" because I don't perform highly in all areas.

I can do such rapid mental arithmetic that I often produce an answer before I consciously try to do it. I can memorise huge amounts of information about medical / psychopharmacology topics. I can memorise a train map in under 15 minutes. I can also speed read efficiently.

I was asked questions about something I hadn't read about since I was in secondary school doing my A-Levels and I was stuck (I'm 25 now), because I feel that my memory and reasoning had decided to move that information into deletion zone. I felt stupid. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had an offical IQ test by an experienced educational psychologist. I have an IQ of 160, officially. I just feel it doesn't always "show" and that makes me a bit anxious.

Is this related to my autism?

I'm good at math/science/history and also writing but not grammar. I've got tested before and had a IQ of 160. and 173, in a Pattern recongizition one. I can read 160 wpm. My brother can read 8 wpm below me. Last time I was testing in this was in 6th grade though so it could be lower or higher now.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
And to get high grades in those said important classes, you just need to be smart, and it is a pure test of intelligence.

It is not a test of pure intelligence. If that were the case, any sufficiently smart person could join the class and do well, regardless of background. It's called "graduate school" for a reason: one needs undergraduate preparation in addition to cognitive skills.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
IMHO, intelligence and grades are not highly correlated, at least in North America. Finland does the world's best schools, without grades. My smartest friend couldn't afford to finish high school, and then never needed to. Many industry leaders are University dropouts. School success is mostly about learning useless, obsolete things from and demonstrating obedience to stupid people. There are, of course, a few very intelligent people in Academia, and probably a mild concentration of them there, but don't count on being able to out-shine the cheaters to meet them if you are hampered in communication, etc. Many dull people have been forced into University just to get jobs. This has lowered academic standards, but the crushing student loans produce loyal, powerless employees. The steady influence of capitalism has turned the Universities from their original focus on serving scholarship to serving Corporations now.
"If you want to get laid, go to College. If you want an education, go to the library."
- Frank Zappa

I politely disagree. I have classmates who have represented my country in international high school math/physics/computer science olympics in my university, and guess what...they all have high grades. Also, if you are truly intelligent, you don't even need to study to get good grades in a regular high school, they just come naturally from cramming for exams literally the day before the exams. I am not even that smart compared to some crazy smart people in my universities, yet I can just study the day before the exams and still manage to get good marks into my good university. Yes there are many university dropouts who are very successful, but they have successfully gotten into their universities in the first place and can finish their degrees if they want to. I mean sure if someone chooses not to pursue education after they already have a great plan in mind that is one thing, but failing high school even if the person is not really trying just tells me that the said person is not really intelligent unless they have extreme circumstances like major depression. Furthermore, CEOs and startup founders actually don't need as high an IQ as people in academia in my opinions. You can disagree of course, I have had one professor who has won gold medal at the international high school math olympic at age 15 but it is easy to tell that he would not make a good CEO.

My entire family except for my step mom never studied and got A-Bs consistently. My father has a very high IQ. He isn't autistic, neither is my Sister, nor step-mom. My brother who is also autistic. Isn't quite as intelligent. Though it could be communicational difference.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

starkid wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:
And to get high grades in those said important classes, you just need to be smart, and it is a pure test of intelligence.

It is not a test of pure intelligence. If that were the case, any sufficiently smart person could join the class and do well, regardless of background. It's called "graduate school" for a reason: one needs undergraduate preparation in addition to cognitive skills.

Excuse me for my inaccuracy. What I meant was that it is a pure test of intelligence given everyone has similar preparations and working habits. It really is. In the machine learning course and some abstract math theory courses, you need to be really smart to do well and hard work alone is just not enough. But honestly one can do well in high school science/math courses by just being smart.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Last edited by HelloWorld314 on 23 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2017, 10:04 pm

Dear_one wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:

Well, please pardon my cynicism, and good luck. We have lived in different circles, but myself and others feel disaffected by all the phonies around Academia. They almost destroyed Robert Persig, and Feynman busted all of Brazil for not actually teaching physics, just memory work. When I was in school, it took a lot more than cramming to get good grades. If I'd studied Architecture, they would have taught me to use central air conditioning and just let the electric heat come on on the shady side of a building. I wasn't going to pay for that even with the old government guaranteed loans on low tuition. Since then I've watched Sociobiology get shut down by campus politics. This week, the Universities of Saskatchewan announced a million dollar study into small nuclear reactors, starting with a thoroughly disproved premise. The math savants get syphoned off to analyse stocks, and the biologists learn to fake drug studies.

Again I respectfully disagree. There may be some phoines in Academia, but I can assure you that math/science professors in good universities are generally very good and smart people. The ones I have met are often honest to a fault and very morally upright. There may be exceptions, but those are exceptions.

Also to clarify: what I have said about getting good grades by just being smart only applies in high school, in universities it is of course a different story. But an inability to get good grades in math/science through cramming in high school just shows the person is not super intelligent to me.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 1:06 am

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Again I respectfully disagree. There may be some phoines in Academia, but I can assure you that math/science professors in good universities are generally very good and smart people. The ones I have met are often honest to a fault and very morally upright. There may be exceptions, but those are exceptions.

Also to clarify: what I have said about getting good grades by just being smart only applies in high school, in universities it is of course a different story. But an inability to get good grades in math/science through cramming in high school just shows the person is not super intelligent to me.

I'm sure there are some smart people in academia, and I hope you have found yourself among them. However, to me an inability to get all As in high school can easily coexist with high intelligence. One may simply not see any reason to learn various subjects, or already have a more advanced understanding of them. Grades depend on memory work, which is just a very narrow part of intelligence. Successful original research, not just getting a "me too" paper published, is my yardstick.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 4:08 am

Dear_one wrote:
However, to me an inability to get all As in high school can easily coexist with high intelligence. One may simply not see any reason to learn various subjects, or already have a more advanced understanding of them. Grades depend on memory work, which is just a very narrow part of intelligence.

This was certainly true for me in high school. I graduated with the second-lowest grades in my whole class--and the highest SAT scores.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2017, 6:34 pm

Dear_one wrote:
HelloWorld314 wrote:

I'm sure there are some smart people in academia, and I hope you have found yourself among them. However, to me an inability to get all As in high school can easily coexist with high intelligence. One may simply not see any reason to learn various subjects, or already have a more advanced understanding of them. Grades depend on memory work, which is just a very narrow part of intelligence. Successful original research, not just getting a "me too" paper published, is my yardstick.

Again, I didn't mean "all As in high school"...I meant getting As in math/science with a day of cramming beforehand. Of course, if the person is not even willing to cram that is a different story. Also grades in at least math/physics barely depend on memory work, they give you the formulas and all you need is understanding to apply them at least in modern high schools. I got an A in my first year university physics course by simply cramming the night before exams, of course it did not work for my psychology essay and it won't work for many other courses. Furthermore, I don't know how you define "high intelligence", I meant at least 1 in 100 intelligence. If a person is in the top 1% intellect club, I really don't see how they can't get As in high school math/physics/chemistry with a night of cramming and a formula sheet.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

When I went to school, we were not given enough information to deduce all our answers.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2017, 10:33 pm

I tend to trust measures of multiple intelligences more than whole IQ measures. Verbal, spatial and mathematical intelligences are distinct, imo. Aspies tend to score lower on social/emotional intelligence, as well as kinesthetic.

Hence why smart people can appear so "dumb" in certain situations. I can't remember the number of times people thought I was a moron until they got to know me. My regular IQ score is around 138-150, depending on which version of the test I take (and how much mental static I have going on at the time).

The classic IQ measure is geared significantly towards mathematical and spatial intelligence. There's some logical reasoning and comprehension measures in the test, but I don't most think people are "smart" at everything.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:21 am

i do not know. i have an high iq i was told.

everything just falls into place when you see things.

all that is necessary is to formulate a description that conveys it to the general masses.

if you can not do that then whatever...it's not really necessary to be altruistic