Page 2 of 13 [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2015, 10:53 am

Pride doesn't necessarily mean considering yourself to be better. It can just be the confidence and strength to live your life and be yourself in the face of oppression. We're here, we're autistic, get used to it.

Chezecaek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

You're twenty years old. Give it a few more years and you might change your attitude--I did. And how many of those things you listed apply to you? All of them, or just some of them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 7:09 pm

It's not a point of pride to be autistic--but it is not shameful, either.

One could accomplish positive things both BECAUSE OF, and DESPITE HAVING, autism.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 7:11 pm

Its not pride, its acceptance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 7:19 pm

It's pride in yourself, no matter what "condition" you might have, or not have.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 9:14 am

Wow i'm such an as*hole for writing this.

diminished57
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2015, 11:34 pm

I'm proud of my purely logical thinking, photographic memory, and my strategic thinking based from those concepts. I honestly view NT thinking as delusion.
Imagine a world where the rationality, that comes with A.S., existed. Logic would rule and would solve many of the world's know problems. Only an NT would keep making the same errors and starting hopeless conflicts.
You don't need to be proud, but you've got the ability to mend some of the world's horribleness.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:01 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
The main issue is that society is structured in the manner of an anarcho-capitalist corporatocracy being run in the format of a bunch of oligarchies.

Too many big words here. I'm getting a headache just looking at them.

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Also, this autism thing seems to be unique to mostly Western-cultures, but ends up being rare in places/cultures like that of Russia if there even is any of it there at all.

Why would it be rare in Russia? Some people have recently claimed that their President Vlad has Asperger's Syndrome, which, if true (I don't believe it is, by the way), would suggest it is quite common due to the statistical odds against one of these almost non-existent individuals rising to the top. Besides, Russia actually is a "Western culture" - originally settled by Vikings (the "Rus", hence the name Russia), with far closer cultural and historical ties to Europe than Asia.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:05 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself. There are many times when I myself think that my life would have been far better if I had not been "cursed", and wish that if Autism Speaks is sincere about "finding a cure" that they should just get on with it and find one. It's often hard (and horrible) to be this way, that's just the reality of it.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:09 pm

diminished57 wrote:
I'm proud of my purely logical thinking, photographic memory, and my strategic thinking based from those concepts. I honestly view NT thinking as delusion.
Imagine a world where the rationality, that comes with A.S., existed. Logic would rule and would solve many of the world's know problems. Only an NT would keep making the same errors and starting hopeless conflicts.
You don't need to be proud, but you've got the ability to mend some of the world's horribleness.

Yes, "NT thinking" really is largely delusional, but unfortunately since they are the ones who are in power and make the rules, those of us who value clear-thinking and logic would have to sell our souls and become like one of them in order to get ourselves into a position of influence where we could allow our clear perception and logic to have any measurable effect. :(

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 2:15 am

Lintar wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
The main issue is that society is structured in the manner of an anarcho-capitalist corporatocracy being run in the format of a bunch of oligarchies.

Too many big words here. I'm getting a headache just looking at them.

Oi ! Stop making « NT-sounding » statements ! Perhaps you would prefer I describe it by writing a few book-volumes instead within my thread-posts instead of compacting the situation into a few precise words as I did ?

Lintar wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Also, this autism thing seems to be unique to mostly Western-cultures, but ends up being rare in places/cultures like that of Russia if there even is any of it there at all.

Why would it be rare in Russia? Some people have recently claimed that their President Vlad has Asperger's Syndrome, which, if true (I don't believe it is, by the way), would suggest it is quite common due to the statistical odds against one of these almost non-existent individuals rising to the top. Besides, Russia actually is a "Western culture" - originally settled by Vikings (the "Rus", hence the name Russia), with far closer cultural and historical ties to Europe than Asia.

Perhaps a better description is that Russia is more « social » in the sense that people actually talk to each other whilst in America it's full of incredibly anti-social misfits who suspect you of being guilty of anything & every possible thing that they could possibly imagine until you are proven innocent (welcome to POLICE STATE USA).

You are automatically a criminal in the eyes of police if you refuse to fund or make payments into their criminal-racketeering system, you are regarded as a pedophile if you have no social-circles, you are considered to be a potential-threat to their society for even entertaining the idea that those NT's might just be pulling the wool over everyone's eyes in any number of various plots & conspiracies that they're perpetuating, etc. Now for more George Carlin...

Lintar wrote:
darkphantomx1 wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself. There are many times when I myself think that my life would have been far better if I had not been "cursed", and wish that if Autism Speaks is sincere about "finding a cure" that they should just get on with it and find one. It's often hard (and horrible) to be this way, that's just the reality of it.

NT is the real disease as far as I'm concerned. Willful-ignorance (intentional self-stupidity) over-powered. Just look at all of those Eckart Tolle fan-boys who genuinely believe in their « fast-food-spirituality » where they think that by simply believing that « evil doesn't exist » that « evil » (and corruption) would disappear entirely simply because you've indoctrinated & brain-washed your mind into believing that wickèdness doesn't actually exist but is somehow only a mind-created reality. I would say that ALL of the followers of Eckart Tolle & Oprah Winfrey & other « popular » sources are ALL NTs. Now take a good, very close & hard & careful look at that, then tell me that it's not more of « disease » than any so-called autisticism.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:03 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.

The better question would be "how can anyone be proud to be normal?", especially when the 'normal' people are the ones who like to condemn our kind, demonize us, and discard us as being less than human because we're not like them. How can 'normal' people live their lives every day, not feeling ashamed that people just like them are treating someone, somewhere, as less than human?
I can't speak for other people, but to me, my pride in my A.S. comes from knowing that I've lived the rough life, being treated like crap from these 'normal' people, and I've seen the true face of humanity because of it, and because of that I will never be like them.

The question should be "why shouldn't we be proud of who we are?", especially given the alternative. Maybe we're not the ones that are 'broken', the rest of society is what's broken because of how they treat people that are different.

xixou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2015, 2:38 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Don't believe all the statistics you see. Only 60% of autistic people work, but only 60% of total PEOPLE work. And these are US/UK numbers, keep in mind. If you live somewhere else, there aren't any numbers for how many total people and how many autistic people work. How do I know? I'm currently researching this and I've been looking very, very hard.

My guess is that the other negative information out there for autistic people is about the same-misleading. Sure lots of stuff sucks, but it sucks for other people too. There's tons of stuff that doesn't suck, but it doesn't get the same press that negative things get.

Autistic people as a population have a lot of traits that are gifts and can make them superior to other people. Autistic people tend to have better focus, error finding abilities in visual searches, abstract spatial thought, parallel perception, and are more honest than other people. So if you want a "cure" for your autism, you'll have to give up your superior abilities as well.

If anyone wants to do some reading, PM me and I'll email you the studies I got this information from.

Agree 200% ^^

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2015, 9:04 am

I am proud to be autistic, and would remain so even if I completely failed by NT standards

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:

No you're not. You're just asking yourself and us some difficult questions to which there aren't always definite answers. It's part of the process of acquiring vital self-knowledge, something else that people with AS are good at. How many NTs really know themselves? Probably not many.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 10:55 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:

No, you're not. I actually agree with you. I hate being autistic, and I wish like anything that I were NT. Autism has caused me so much pain, both emotional and physical, and has caused me to be emotionally stunted. Please don't feel like you have to love being autistic, since it's completely valid and okay to dislike it. It's a very difficult disorder to live with.