Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

sAMY
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2015, 6:35 pm

I will never be able to go to college and get a high paying job,I'll forever be forced into a life of poverty and goverment aid.

If I get fit I might be able to get a women to settle for me ,if I'm lucky.

Ill never get to live a normal and happy life.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 6:38 pm

...I'm sorry . :(

Aspialyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2015, 8:44 pm

I would not worry about it too much... things change, you are safe, what do YOU want to do?

sAMY

03 Jun 2015, 11:44 am

Aspialyan wrote:
I would not worry about it too much... things change, you are safe, what do YOU want to do?

That's the thing all I want is $2,500 take home pay a month and a girlfriend would be nice ,but I can't even achieve that.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

sAMY wrote:
Aspialyan wrote:

That's the thing all I want is $2,500 take home pay a month and a girlfriend would be nice ,but I can't even achieve that.

I think a lot of us would like that.

Thing is, I'm not sure why you assume you are unable to go into further education because of your intellectual disability. I have friends who are intellectually disabled who have gone into further education. However, none of them that I know of have a bachelor's degree.

Well, look at it this way - having a degree does not guarantee that you will get a good paying job and you will be left with debt after college. A degree is a nice thing to have, but unless you want to become a doctor (for instance), a degree is not always necessary.

If you're just wanting to make good money, many businesses will have training schemes and various ways you can work your way up to management. Not that I can guarantee that it will happen, but I figure that if you really want something, it's worth trying.

As for getting a girlfriend, I hope you realize that most women want to date people because they like them as people, not just because of their money or looks.

I'm sorry if I can't offer much comfort.

sAMY

14 Jun 2015, 1:40 am

Anyone else like me out here? Unlike man of my "brothers and sisters" I had a mother in denial who forced me to main stream in school and recently all the memories came back and its horrble , maybe I'll go try drinking to cope.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 1:52 am

What is to say a normal life is happy? And I find cannabis, music, Game of Thrones and playing League of Legend to work better than alcohol for coping but that's just me. Except I am not intellectually disabled per say, but aside from the aspergers I've got other issues I have to cope with like ptsd, anxiety, depression which all suck.

sAMY

14 Jun 2015, 3:39 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
What is to say a normal life is happy? And I find cannabis, music, Game of Thrones and playing League of Legend to work better than alcohol for coping but that's just me. Except I am not intellectually disabled per say, but aside from the aspergers I've got other issues I have to cope with like ptsd, anxiety, depression which all suck.

Using video games and tv to escape reality stopped working long ago.

And don't give me that s**t about a normal life not being happy, because we all damn know well it is. Normal people don't experience sadness all the time, they might get down in the dumbs for awhile or "depressed" but they don't life experience it for most of their life.

This is the problem with people that like to live in their happy little bubble where they think people can just be happy with what they got because their not "some tarving child in africa" well et me tell you I wish I was because then at least my peers would be starving children and I wouldn't have to live everyday with the constant reminder with how bad I f*****g have it by watching normal people on the television,on the internet, outside living their lives.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 2:44 am

sAMY wrote:
I will never be able to go to college and get a high paying job,I'll forever be forced into a life of poverty and goverment aid.

You should have a learning assessment done to determine your cognitive strengths and weaknesses, and whether or not you have a specific learning disability.

sAMY

25 Jun 2015, 3:59 am

Chronos wrote:
sAMY wrote:

You should have a learning assessment done to determine your cognitive strengths and weaknesses, and whether or not you have a specific learning disability.

Getting a learning assessment done won't change anything so it's rather pointless. I know I have a global learning disability/retardation and I don't need any piece of paper to tell them that.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

You don't know what you're capable of until after youve done it.

What makes you think you're ret*d?

It's a vicious cycle... you think you're ret*d, you say you're ret*d, so people treat you like you're ret*d, so you think you're ret*d, and you say you're ret*d...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 8:31 am

sAMY wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sAMY wrote:

Getting a learning assessment done won't change anything so it's rather pointless. I know I have a global learning disability/retardation and I don't need any piece of paper to tell them that.

So, do you have an official diagnosis of retardation? Or are you just self-diagnosing?

Autistic people often have skill scatter, so it's really hard to predict what your IQ would be just by comparing yourself to others. I've heard of a nonverbal kid who got a performance IQ of 120. So unless you have the piece of paper to tell you, you might be a lot smarter than you think. People tend to judge IQ based on language and social skills - both things that autistic people often struggle with.

But even if you're right and your IQ is under 70 (the definition of retardation), that doesn't mean your life has to be unhappy. I've met plenty of happy people who would be considered mildly mentally ret*d (though they usually don't like that terminology). There are people in that IQ range who are happily married, who have jobs that don't require a lot of training but are still fulfilling, even some who are raising happy, well-adjusted children. They learn more slowly, but they can learn all the essentials of an independent adult life.

Owl123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm

sAMY wrote:
Anyone else like me out here? Unlike man of my "brothers and sisters" I had a mother in denial who forced me to main stream in school and recently all the memories came back and its horrble , maybe I'll go try drinking to cope.

Uhmm... I might say, you're awesome and not ret*d. I can understand what you are trying to convey; it greatly defies being ret*d. I also think often that I am ret*d, honestly. That's because I think of it in a much darker side. Idk how it'll work out for you...

After you have shed all your tears, know that your pains can turn into something beautiful. Maybe if you feel unloved by the world, know that the one who made the world will always love you.

It's love. Love within you. The love that'll keep you.

kimmyxoxo
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2015, 9:35 pm

sAMY wrote:

Of course you will! :) Focus on what makes you happy, and others will come to see it and who you are - don't hurry for others!

Don't be disheartened. There is lots of support and places to turn on the web, and everyone at WP.net is here for you. :)

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 11:06 am

kimmyxoxo wrote:
sAMY wrote:

Of course you will! :) Focus on what makes you happy, and others will come to see it and who you are - don't hurry for others!

Don't be disheartened. There is lots of support and places to turn on the web, and everyone at WP.net is here for you. :)

Kim is entirely right. We use the term "intellectually disabled" too flippantly. The people labeled that simply don't adhere to our (completely useless) standard of "intelligence". You're gifted in your own way--even if that way doesn't always show up on the test.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 8:55 am

sAMY. You didn´t tell in what way, you should be intellectually disabled. Your language is good. Apart from your dark mindset right now, you probably reason well too.
Are you visual? Good with your hands? Good with children? Are you artistic? Ask yourself some questions.
If you can´t see your own abilities right now, in this state you´re in, do take the cognitive test. It might tell you something new.

A young woman from a popular reality show in Denmark has been called stupid for years, - so she set out to do a TV show about intelligence - using herself as an example.
Apart from visiting schools and a university class, who didn´t think, she sounded more stupid than anyone else, she was tested by an expert/doctor on intelligence test and it turned out, that she has a borderline-normal IQ of appr. 72 points.
She was, of course very disappointed, but the expert explained, that this was only her instrumental intelligence. She did remarkably well in social intelligence, which probably accounted for her success as a TV "star".
She wants to do programs about people, she has views and she can ask questions - and one day, she´ll probably write too, even though she´ll need help with the spelling :)

Of course, she is lucky, having the looks and the personality to end up in TV shows and then be able to demonstrate a talent, - but IQ isn´t going to determine much other than academic level.
The rest is using what you have to the best of your abilities.

You do have strengths! Find them!