Down' dad refused to participate in A$ school fundraiser

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:47 am

And blogged about it in the New York Times

The debate is raging in the comments. Get your autistic voice heard. Your comment does have to be approved and it is the middle of the night in New York.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

You just can't help but be feel sickened, by how quickly the comments fill up with curebies and neurobigots. And they're posting the same points that have been refuted a thousand times, what a surprise. Wish I'd have seen this earlier.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 3:30 pm

Moromillas wrote:
You just can't help but be feel sickened, by how quickly the comments fill up with curebies and neurobigots. And they're posting the same points that have been refuted a thousand times, what a surprise. Wish I'd have seen this earlier.

I wish you did see it earlier. I did add some refutations to comments and glad others did to but upset that the curabee comments had a much higher number of recommendations. Shocked the New York Times allowed this. While nice I would rather have them use their large resources to investigate Autism Speaks

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

Yes, it's the same with most online discussions. They heavily outnumber Aspergians and Autistics, ignore any points we make, and just upvote the most hateful one, and use it as a sort of barometer to appear right. "This many also hate the spectrum, therefore, hating the spectrum is correct."

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 10:44 pm

Moromillas wrote:
Yes, it's the same with most online discussions. They heavily outnumber Aspergians and Autistics, ignore any points we make, and just upvote the most hateful one, and use it as a sort of barometer to appear right. "This many also hate the spectrum, therefore, hating the spectrum is correct."

You stole my hierarchy cadence at the end of that paragraph, I want royalties. :lol:

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 10:35 am

Finally... a parent who actually wants to be a parent, accepting their child and defending their existence, and not just a pseudo-parent wanting their child only if the child is a certain way.

I would have done the same thing this dad did.

I haven't read the comments, but I know I should.

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2015, 6:19 pm

Very good information. I'm appalled to hear that a group that calls itself "Autism Speaks" is actually kind of like a eugenics advocate. We need to stop letting them pay us lip service and actually demand that something be done. We need to take a page out of the various Affirmative Action and LBGTQ movements and actually stand up and demand a voice, accurate (positive) media representation, and acceptance. We should actively tell people to stop misrepresenting us or framing scenarios that make us look helpless and unable to care for ourselves.