Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 5:49 pm

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not Aspie - or at least 50/50. 8O My neighbors probably think I'm a hermit.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 6:03 pm

So your cat finally passed the NCLEX! Congratulations!

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 6:30 pm

It's sad, Mr. K, because I wasn't able to put what Grumpy Cat actually said - the picture was too big to fit. :( But at least we have that wonderful frown showing. That makes me happy!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 7:16 pm

He looks like Nurse Ratchett!

My wife only wore a nurse's hat when she graduated from LPN school.

Did you ever wear one of those hats?

I believe nurses stopped wearing those hats in the 1980s. They still wore them in the 1970s.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2015, 6:33 pm

I've been working at the same place for almost three years now. When I first started, I would go home in tears and have massive meltdowns and isolate myself. I work as a graphic designer in a stationery boutique (not the job I intended to have as a designer, but I've actually come to love the kind of work I do . . . now). It took me about six or seven months to get acclimated to the job.

What was worse was that I started working there right after Hurricane Sandy, so my home was affected by the storm for a few weeks, I was switching my voluntary work within a couple of months to a whole different language, I was finding myself in a very abusive and manipulative friendship and getting out of it was extremely painful, and I had only 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night from all the stress, so I was ticcing all the time. The job required that I displayed good customer service, and that I consulted with clients (either appointments or walk-ins, ack) and ensure them that we were a good stationer to use for things as important as wedding invitations. It sapped so, so much energy from me, but I went to work doing the best I could every day, and constantly asked my boss to correct me if I was faltering in some way, and constantly asked her to give me a review of my progress so that I could make any necessary changes. It helped that she was extremely patient with me. There's no science behind it, but Wednesdays seem to be the most stressful days. Because of the industry, though, there's always some thing that makes the any workday unpredictable...

Overall it took me about 6 or 7 months for me to get into the flow. Since then, it's been about faking it all and either working it off at the gym (if I can still tolerate being around people later in the evening), or vegging out when I get home (the times that I can't tolerate it), but sometimes it takes a toll at the workplace and I have to hide under our counter or go to the bathroom for a few minutes to calm down, haha.

Long story short, I stuck it out out of necessity because it was so difficult for me to find a job for almost a year before that, and I needed to have more stability in my life so that I could gain some independence. But I was finally able to get into a regimen and now my boss trusts me with her business whenever she's away (ACK). Work can definitely be exhausting, maybe even triggering depending on the kind that we do, but we can do it 8).

Ilovesnails
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2015, 4:24 pm

My work exhausts me everyday. I used to work testing software and liked that job. Then I moved to another country and could not get back into that job. Now I work in a cafeteria serving college students. The noise, rudeness/nastiness of the students, stress makes me go into meltdown as soon as my shift starts. I feel like I'm watching some sort of documentary about stupid people. Working there has made me lose hope for humanity as in any customer service job. Trying to be cheerful drains me. A lot of my co-workers are young and leave work for hours randomly and leave the work on us older employees and give us attitude. They are never reprimanded by management. I have a certain chef that screams at me (today was only eleven times in three hours) and targets me for abuse daily. Management is terrible. They will not fire anyone. If someone bullies you, you are told that -"That's just the way they are, ignore them." One lady who bullies me pushes and shoves me and others and has even burned someone. They haven't had any sort of punishment in the eight years of terrorizing people there. I leave work almost in tears (somedays I fight back tears)and go home and usually go straight to bed. I feel mentally and physically drained. I am trying to study in computer repair right now, but my head is so exhausted from the drama from this job I can't even concentrate on studying. There is no way I can afford to quit this job so I stay. I asked my boss if I could be transferred to another area where the manager there wants me full time but was denied. (New place is older people, no drama and everyone works as a team.) If things don't change soon I will walk out of the job and it will make it very hard for me and my husband financially. :(

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2015, 1:00 am

ScottF wrote:
I am employed as a paint prep tech for a dealership collision center. I must say, it can be exhausting, but what is nice is, I can be as weird as I wanna be and there is no judgment, I do not interact with customers and my job duties really keep me engaged in the work. I have prep the cars for primer, prime the areas to be repaired, block sand the area, then scuff and sand for blend, clean the cars off, tape up the cars and then on to the next. The work is interesting even though the procedures are the same, the repairs are often varied from a new bumper, to a fender or a quarter panel replacement...I seem to enjoy the ones that take a bit more thought and strategy, and have started to be able to do the more complex ones with less questions asked on how to do it( I still ask the painters for input on how they want it done) and am able to now anticipate better what they need from my work. I still have days where I am there for 12 hours or more, but they are very rare. Plus the nice thing is, 90% of my job is visual so I have days where I listen to my music in my headphones the entire time I am there...I really only have to deal with co workers so that makes things much easier on me...

Do you wear any kind of face protection from the paint fumes? If so, what kind? I currently use a 2 layer cloth tied around my face, with eye holes cut out, a hat, and also listen to music when I paint. I need a better fume and spray paint particle blocker. Particle masks make my glasses fog up. The 2 layer cloth face mask has been my only functional method so far. Is there a better option? Or is my protection method adequate?

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2015, 1:08 am

Ilovesnails wrote:
My work exhausts me everyday. I used to work testing software and liked that job. Then I moved to another country and could not get back into that job. Now I work in a cafeteria serving college students. The noise, rudeness/nastiness of the students, stress makes me go into meltdown as soon as my shift starts. I feel like I'm watching some sort of documentary about stupid people. Working there has made me lose hope for humanity as in any customer service job. Trying to be cheerful drains me. A lot of my co-workers are young and leave work for hours randomly and leave the work on us older employees and give us attitude. They are never reprimanded by management. I have a certain chef that screams at me (today was only eleven times in three hours) and targets me for abuse daily. Management is terrible. They will not fire anyone. If someone bullies you, you are told that -"That's just the way they are, ignore them." One lady who bullies me pushes and shoves me and others and has even burned someone. They haven't had any sort of punishment in the eight years of terrorizing people there. I leave work almost in tears (somedays I fight back tears)and go home and usually go straight to bed. I feel mentally and physically drained. I am trying to study in computer repair right now, but my head is so exhausted from the drama from this job I can't even concentrate on studying. There is no way I can afford to quit this job so I stay. I asked my boss if I could be transferred to another area where the manager there wants me full time but was denied. (New place is older people, no drama and everyone works as a team.) If things don't change soon I will walk out of the job and it will make it very hard for me and my husband financially. :(

Take heart -- college students of ages 18-25 are always like that; it is normal and has been this way likely since the evolution of mankind. Food service environment has also always been a bad job for introverts. Everything from the work to the boss personalities, and co-workers -- extremely not a good fit. If you value your mental health over your paycheck, you definetely should look for another job. I know that is easier said than done. If you ever want to have a good, less stressful life, take control and take risks. Sometimes gambling on a better life is worth it.

Ilovesnails
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2015, 3:15 am

Yes, I have only been there three months and it's killing me. I'm going to try to finish up my self study computer repair exams and try to find a job doing that. The college would be a great place to network to possibly get a job in that - in their computer lab as an IT person, etc. I'm terrible at networking though haha. Anyway, I am going to start looking for something better. Something quiet and that makes me actually use my brain...

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 7:34 am

@Ilovesnails I'm sorry that you're in that situation... I hope you can get outta there soon. :(

### Rant alert! ###
Just thinking about going to school/uni/work is horrible (yes, being there or doing assignments is worse, but I wanna talk about the commute). Ever since grade 5 I've always had relatively (and I know some people have it far worse) long commute. 30-45 mintues per ride, by bus and sometimes it could take another 20 mintues if I didn't catch the bus in time. I can't for the life of me enjoy myself while on the bus/on my way, it's stressful. Don't suggest I get something to read, check phone, do stuff on the bus, etc. It doesn't work. Just commuting could take away 1-2 hours of my day where I could rest from uni, do things I like, get important s**t done (just kidding on that one, my work ethic has died long ago), shower or have breakfast in the morning, and just generally not be exposed to the draining bus environment that reminds me of the time I've already lost there.
I've probably lost a year of my waking life just moving back and forth between places.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Oct 2015, 8:38 am

Seigfried wrote:
CateJayne wrote:
bisonm wrote:
I really don't want to be so socially isolated. I just have no ability to hold a conversation after so much human contact during the day. As it is the last few hours communication is difficult. Slurred speech, difficulty finding words, inability to focus on what someone is saying to me etc.

How does one avoid this isolation?

Given the socially demanding job and your innate introvertedness? I don't think you can. You've got a finite amount of social energy and the job sucks all of it up.

Is there any chance you can find a less socially demanding position? Backroomstuff?

Sounds like this is your best solution.
And yes I can relate, when I used to work my life was hell and I turned into a zombie, my overall intelligence dropped and took over a year to recover.

What do you do now that you don't work? How are you able to subsist?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 9:47 am

I work as a gardener/ tree surgeon/ sawyer, so I don't get much direct contact with people. This helps a lot. I used to work for an urban tree service, and I would climb up into the trees I was trimming and stay up there all day.