I feel more comfortable talking to Aspie women than NT women

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm

I belong to an Autistic women's group that meets once a month, and they are all like sisters to me. I met my best friend there and talking to them is so much easier than talking to any other group of women has ever been. So straight-forward. So un-boring.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2016, 6:31 am

I recently joined a secret Facebook group for aspie women and it felt a bit like living in a foreign country all my life and not quite understanding the language and then suddenly moving back home. They are so much easier to understand and relate to. I've felt the same around aspie men I've met in the past (plus a few that I think were undiagnosed aspies). There are a few people I've met or worked with that I think were very likely on the autistic spectrum as I had that same feeling of connecting, but I'd never want to ask someone directly in case they took it the wrong way.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm

I'm not confident in my ability to guess the neurology of relative strangers.

But if I get on well with a woman, I'm more likely to guess she's autistic.

Gematron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2016, 9:20 pm

Never met any but I'm sure it would be a good experience as they would actually have something to talk about unlike most NT women I know.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 11:24 pm

I tend to get along better with neurodiverse people in general, especially autistic people. My closest friends all seem to have some screws loose. At the moment the only aspie female I know is my grandmother, but if I could find one my age that shares my interests and is otherwise compatible with me then that would be awesome.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

I definitely feel more comfortable around kids on the spectrum (doesn't matter if HFA or LFA).

As for teens and adults, it depends on the person. One genderqueer aspie teen I know I get along with well (but we've drifted apart because he's busy with a boyfriend and doesn't get along with some other people we hang out with), one aspie teen boy and one adult aspie woman I feel a bit awkward around because they're so much less socially aware than me, one aspie teen guy I mostly get along with but I've never brought up his diagnosis because his mom told me and I don't know if he knows she told me or even knows his diagnosis, so that makes it a little awkward.

As for LFA adults and teens, I've met very few, but I relate similarly to them as to younger LFA kids. None of them used much AAC, so our communication was mostly nonverbal, which I think is a lot easier for me.