Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

John6136
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

I used to write in cursive, but nobody could read it so I started writing in non cursive to make it more legible. I tend to hand write all my notes because I find it makes it easier for me to remember and understand the content compared to typing them that opens up the temptation of copying and pasting. I can write legibly in non-cursive, but when people look at it they tell me it's very untidy and that I have horrible handwriting, but that it is legible.

I seem to write at about half the speed of people who can write in legible cursive. Now, I tend to struggle with time in exams that require you to write a lot of words - such as essay type exams. I don't know what I should be doing - when I try to write faster it just becomes less legible which is not really something you want to do in an exam.

In the past I was diagnosed by a psychologist but he retired so I never got a report from him. I told my college about the old diagnosis but they didn't have anyone employed who was qualified to do such a diagnosis themselves so I ended up not bothering. My grades are good at A level, but I'm worried that I will struggle even more for time in University exams because I imagine that they require more writing.

What should I be doing? Should I be trying to get extra time for dysgraphia (I don't know what kind of report I need to get for this or what type of person I even need to speak to, to get such a report), or is there a way I can make my handwriting faster and keep it legible at the same time?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

Are you officially, diagnosed with anything--like ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, whatever?

If so, you could probably obtain the accommodations you've described.

Speak to the "academic access office" or whatever it's called in your school.

John6136
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

The psychologist did diagnose me with aspergers, but I only tried to get a report from him so I could get accommodation for my handwriting several years later and by that point he had retired.

So do I need a rediagnosis for aspergers (the college said they had nobody who could do that so... I guess I would have to find another psychologist and go through the diagnosis all over again which I don't really want to do unless I really have to) or should I get a diagnosis for dysgraphia (problems with handwriting - not sure how to do that either)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 6:05 pm

I wish I could tell you otherwise:

but you'll probably have to obtain another "official" diagnosis.

Ask the "academic access" office about accommodations should you be diagnosed with dysgraphia.

EOD0905
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2015, 5:29 am

The problem I encounter is that although my grammar and spelling are immaculate, people seem unable to read my handwriting, which is quite frustrating as to me, my handwriting is quite clear. Do any of you have the same issue?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 10:04 am

Since you mentioned A levels I assume you're in the UK; I'm less familiar with the laws and policies common over there. When I had similar issues, I was permitted to type exams, since my typing is much faster (and certainly far more legible) than my handwriting. That should be an easy accommodation to request and would presumably solve the issue. Ordinarily your school will then want a proctor to ensure your computer is not internet connected or accessing notes during the exam.