Autism Disclosure at Work (survey starting soon)

Page 3 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Thank you! It's just the first day, but so far the WP community has much more open, interested, and nice than trying to put up fliers and explain it to people in real life.

SocOfAutism - If there are some interesting response "areas", I would love to see those posted as topics, so we can discuss. I am always interested in understanding how others "make progress" (for lack of a better word) in the world.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
Thank you! It's just the first day, but so far the WP community has much more open, interested, and nice than trying to put up fliers and explain it to people in real life.

SocOfAutism - If there are some interesting response "areas", I would love to see those posted as topics, so we can discuss. I am always interested in understanding how others "make progress" (for lack of a better word) in the world.

I will indeed do that after I have ended data collection and am finishing the thesis and prepare to submit for publication.

Campin_Cat: Nice talking to you today! That's a good point, I'll see if I can make it do something like that. I may not be able to since it's already collected responses.

CreedBanks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2015, 12:08 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I'm bumping my own topic because I'm expecting to start in about a week and a half.

This is an anonymous survey, and my purpose is to gather the experiences of autistic people who have either disclosed their autism status at work or in a volunteer position or decided not to. I want to explore the factors behind this decision and its importance. My secondary purpose is to show that people on the autism spectrum are present and authoritative in the workforce.

I will be seeking to publish these results in an academic journal.

I spent my entire working life NOT KNOWING I was Aspergers. It definitely would have helped me knowing this as I found it increasingly difficult to cope with people. I decided to leave the workforce early and live frugally and be happy. This has worked for me. I don't think I would have disclosed this in the workplace unless I was still in my naive phase. If I had disclosed it, I would have regretted it. NT's in general CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 3:18 pm

CreedBanks wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
I'm bumping my own topic because I'm expecting to start in about a week and a half.

This is an anonymous survey, and my purpose is to gather the experiences of autistic people who have either disclosed their autism status at work or in a volunteer position or decided not to. I want to explore the factors behind this decision and its importance. My secondary purpose is to show that people on the autism spectrum are present and authoritative in the workforce.

I will be seeking to publish these results in an academic journal.

I spent my entire working life NOT KNOWING I was Aspergers. It definitely would have helped me knowing this as I found it increasingly difficult to cope with people. I decided to leave the workforce early and live frugally and be happy. This has worked for me. I don't think I would have disclosed this in the workplace unless I was still in my naive phase. If I had disclosed it, I would have regretted it. NT's in general CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

I agree with you. For some reason people don't seem to like talking about autism. Would you consider doing my survey? [url=https://autatwork.wordpress.com/]https://autatwork.wordpress.com//url]. The bolded text are links.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

I finished mine a couple of days ago.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I finished mine a couple of days ago.

I enjoyed completing the survey.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 6:48 pm

Thanks to both of you! I'm excited about the quality of responses so far!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 10:02 am

I have updated the site to include anonymous instructions. I wish I could reduce the text or make the process more simple but I don't see what else I can streamline.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 11:37 am

Done!

Some of the questions covered things I have almost never thought about. Very interesting. I look forward to seeing your results!

Please keep us informed. :D

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 5:00 pm

If anyone who hasn't already done my survey would like to consider it, please do! There are now anonymous instructions on the website for people who don't feel comfortable disclosing their names or email addresses.

I was trying to get between 40-50 responses because I assumed that most people would ignore the "please elaborate" prompts that are on most of the questions. Everyone who has participated so far has included detailed information that is surpassing my expectations. I am not close to my goal participation level, but the quality of the responses may make up for it. I will leave the survey open until mid-September.

The time it has been taking people to complete the survey varies wildly. It's taken some 20 minutes and others 2 hours. I believe it takes people longer if they are answering a question they did not expect to be thinking about.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm

I will try to get this done when I get home from work this evening.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:46 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I will try to get this done when I get home from work this evening.

Thank you!!

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 7:26 am

I have only every held a handful of full time positions, with disclosure at one of these, I cannot work in a regular environment. All of my work is on a self employed basis.

If you would still like me to participate, I would be happy to complete the survey.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:06 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
I have only every held a handful of full time positions, with disclosure at one of these, I cannot work in a regular environment. All of my work is on a self employed basis.

If you would still like me to participate, I would be happy to complete the survey.

You would qualify! Thank you! In fact, I would be very interested in your experience!

Self employment, unpaid internships, cash payment for labor, volunteer work all count. I even count online employment, such as being an eBay or Etsy seller, having a YouTube channel with ads that pay you, or running a website. There are many different kinds of employment these days.

I would also count it if you haven't worked in a long time. You would just answer the questions as they applied to a past job.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:28 am

I have signed and sent the consent form.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:31 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
I have signed and sent the consent form.

Thank you!