What was the most satisfying gaming moment for you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2015, 11:07 am

Spoiler for Metroid Fusion (to view just highlight the spoiler)

Spoiler wrote:
The most satisfying moment for me was when I fought SA-X at the end of the game (when it becomes a beast) because I got on a platform and the AI bugged and couldn't get to me but I could still shoot it, I feel it is poetic justice as I spent the whole game running with my tail between my legs whenever I heard it's footsteps.

So what was the most satisfying moment in gaming for you and why?

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 9:47 pm

There have been so many it's hard for me to pick just one....I'll give a few major ones though

1) 100% PERFECT on Our Lips Are Sealed in Rock Band 3 playing expert bass...man, that was hugely satisfying for me. It was only a year ( give or take ) prior that I even attempted to play above medium ( can't do guitar above easy anymore due to the chords....they hurt a LOT ), and I'd done fairly well on a decent number of songs but to see that 100% with gold stars was a major deal for me :)

2) beating the final level in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on the hardest difficulty. Now, mind you I rarely bother attempting anything above easy to avoid getting suicidal, but since it only required the very short final stage ( which only had maybe 6 enemies total ) I decided to give it a go. It took a few tries, but boy did that achievement unlocking sound bring a huge smile to my face

3) Smash Bros 3DS Classic 9.0 with a custom Link. If you've seen my posts about Smash, you know I get very suicidal over my inability to do much of anything ( which still pisses me off as I like the collectibles and feel it's unfair to require insane luck & skill to beat "challenges" to unlock them, never mind the bs survival mode that is All Star ), but after about a week of trying I randomly beat Master Core at 9.0 on 3DS. All that's left on the 3DS version, aside from DLC trophies, is the remaining hats & custom moves and I'll finally have 100% completion of a Smash Bros game ( I have 100% on Melee as well, but I used an Action Replay as 3 trophies are otherwise unobtainable )

4) beating a Resident Evil game. Sure, I beat Revelations HD and 2 of the campaigns in RE6 ( and I'm well on the way to beating Revelations 2 ) but you have to understand: I was never capable of even PLAYING one before. Honestly, the infamous tank controls were a hurdle I was never able to overcome...but the newer games featured controls I can actually manage! I may have been on easy, and they may not be that impressive to the long time fans who've played & beaten the old games ( and maybe got every unlockable as well ) but they mean a lot to me.

5) beating every Gears of War ( thus far ), though on easy those games are fairly brutal on any difficulty.

6) #1 on the leaderboard for a song in Rock Band Blitz...I can't remember what song off the top of my head, and it's long since been beaten but man was it great seeing my name in a position with less than 6 digits

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 11:12 pm

Sadly I can't list just one. The ones that comes through my head right now:
When I finished every stage on Super Mario World
When I realized I completed 100% of both N64 Zelda games
When I finished God of War on God difficulty (It was the hardest mode on the first one)
When I got my Tournesol on Final Fantasy XII
The feeling while I fighted the 5th Colossi on Shadow of the Colossus... That fight is so amazing!
Discovering that I can overcome my bad motor coordination and finally play Guitar Hero/Rock Band on Expert.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 12:33 am

Beating the original Mushihime-sama on Ultra mode (bullet-hell game, and one of the most difficult games ever made). The final boss is so absurd that even after I'd gotten the skill to REACH the damn thing, it was about a year before I actually defeated it.

And then this in the sequel:

That may be just the first stage, but it's harder than most of the stuff in the previous game's Ultra mode. That one is THE hardest game ever made. I dont expect to ever beat that one. Particularly the unholy nightmare of a final boss at the end.

Any others would all be in fighting games; dont really have very specific moments for that one.

TheReptilianThesaurus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2015, 12:35 am

For me, it would have to be finally clearing the last set of Canary Mary races in Banjo-Tooie, it was the only thing that ever kept me from completing the game 100%, and I finally overcame it during my last playthrough.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 12:47 am

When I finally did this (after about 600 tries)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 12:54 am

ajpd1989 wrote:
When I finally did this (after about 600 tries)

I remember that thing.

It wasnt very pleasant.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 7:39 am

Misery wrote:
Beating the original Mushihime-sama on Ultra mode (bullet-hell game, and one of the most difficult games ever made). The final boss is so absurd that even after I'd gotten the skill to REACH the damn thing, it was about a year before I actually defeated it.

That may be just the first stage, but it's harder than most of the stuff in the previous game's Ultra mode. That one is THE hardest game ever made. I dont expect to ever beat that one. Particularly the unholy nightmare of a final boss at the end.

Any others would all be in fighting games; dont really have very specific moments for that one.

It doesn't matter how many times I watch this kind of bullet-hell game being played I always end the video with my jaw dropped little bit lol
I tried a few games of this type some time ago and nope, no good results were seen (:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 9:10 am

Andrejake wrote:
Misery wrote:

It doesn't matter how many times I watch this kind of bullet-hell game being played I always end the video with my jaw dropped little bit lol
I tried a few games of this type some time ago and nope, no good results were seen (:

It took me a seriously ridiculous amount of time to manage to do that. And that was AFTER coming off of beating the first game. The nasty part with this one: Stage 2 is a horrible difficulty spike. Defeat the second boss? HAH. I cant reach it yet. It just gets worse from there.

The genre as a whole though takes a ton of practice to get into, and it really helps to find the right games to start with. Figuring that one out is tough. Many start with the wrong ones and just get discouraged. I started with Giga Wing actually, one from arcades by Capcom, where you could flare this shield thing briefly to reflect bullets (alot of games like this have bullet reflecting/cancelling mechanics), and it got pretty loopy, but is very approachable for this sort of game. Heck, I guess that'd be my other satisfying gaming moment, is finally beating, as in completely beating, Giga Wing. You cant fight the final boss unless you do everything else without dying even once (actual final boss comprises stage 7; stage 6 is the "normal" final boss which is where the game normally ends) and I think you also cant use bombs more than twice if I remember correctly, which... yeah. That took awhile. But with that game, even that is a realistic goal for many players after enough practice. Bloody great game overall, that.

I guess part of it is I dont mind repetition in games, really. So long as it's not the mindless sort, like grinding in a JRPG, which barely even requires thinking, let alone reacting to stuff. I dunno how anyone does that. Moreso, I dont know how anyone does that and ENJOYS it. I find it baffling.

Also I'll agree with one that you listed, which is finishing 100% of Super Mario World. I remember doing that, many years ago, finally getting through the awesome Special World (I think it was called), and then seeing all of the Koopas transformed after that, which never stopped being hilarious, and then finishing up the game from there. That game really was something special, so that's definitely a memorable part of the experience I think.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 10:49 am

Misery wrote:
It took me a seriously ridiculous amount of time to manage to do that. And that was AFTER coming off of beating the first game. The nasty part with this one: Stage 2 is a horrible difficulty spike. Defeat the second boss? HAH. I cant reach it yet. It just gets worse from there.

The genre as a whole though takes a ton of practice to get into, and it really helps to find the right games to start with. Figuring that one out is tough. Many start with the wrong ones and just get discouraged. I started with Giga Wing actually, one from arcades by Capcom, where you could flare this shield thing briefly to reflect bullets (alot of games like this have bullet reflecting/cancelling mechanics), and it got pretty loopy, but is very approachable for this sort of game. Heck, I guess that'd be my other satisfying gaming moment, is finally beating, as in completely beating, Giga Wing. You cant fight the final boss unless you do everything else without dying even once (actual final boss comprises stage 7; stage 6 is the "normal" final boss which is where the game normally ends) and I think you also cant use bombs more than twice if I remember correctly, which... yeah. That took awhile. But with that game, even that is a realistic goal for many players after enough practice. Bloody great game overall, that.

I guess part of it is I dont mind repetition in games, really. So long as it's not the mindless sort, like grinding in a JRPG, which barely even requires thinking, let alone reacting to stuff. I dunno how anyone does that. Moreso, I dont know how anyone does that and ENJOYS it. I find it baffling.

Also I'll agree with one that you listed, which is finishing 100% of Super Mario World. I remember doing that, many years ago, finally getting through the awesome Special World (I think it was called), and then seeing all of the Koopas transformed after that, which never stopped being hilarious, and then finishing up the game from there. That game really was something special, so that's definitely a memorable part of the experience I think.

Yeah, I agree. Perphaps I haven't choosen a right one to start. I might try again someday, if I just have the courage...I don't mind repetition too, but when the game is that hard right off the start I get discouraged I must confess.

Grinding can be very tedious, I agree with this. Getting the Tournesol that I listed here, for example, requires some stupid amount of time killing the same mobs (I did chains of killing more than 400 wolves in a row, without killing any other type of monster during the process and this to get 3 of the required items for the sword... Now imagine doing something like this with other 10 monsters +/- including some that are VERY RARE to spawn. God, I don't think I'll ever do this again lol). I'm very patient if the game make the grinding more fun though. Diablo 3 RoS is the first example that comes to mind.

About beating Super Mario World after transforming the Koopas yeah, it really is something memorable. I remember my excitement, like if I was playing a whole different game just because of the color shift and the different mobs lol

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2015, 9:35 pm

Misery wrote:

Crap, you should try touhou.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 12:10 am

Also have a few; unlocking all the cheats in Goldeneye back on the N64 was certainly up there, getting to the point where I could play the Xbox Ninja Gaiden on the harder settings was pretty satisfying, getting all 4 pieces of samurai armor by myself in Payday 2 on DeathWish difficulty, to get a bit more recent. I actually draw a direct connection between my earlier obsessive Goldeneye playing with my current obsessive Payday playing, right down to the achievements to unlock better guns and modifications; if I hadn't played the Facility a million times trying to hit the magic time limit, I probably wouldn't have the patience to take an absurdly long time to rob a bank perfectly and stealthily.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:01 am

blast335 wrote:
Misery wrote:

Crap, you should try touhou.

Yeah, I have some of the Touhou games. Not my favorites, but they're alright. Not nearly as difficult as they're made out to be (including on their highest difficulty), when compared to some of the ones I'm used to. I always think the scoring systems in them could be alot better; even compared to some other shmups, they're very.... obtuse.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:28 am

TheReptilianThesaurus wrote:
For me, it would have to be finally clearing the last set of Canary Mary races in Banjo-Tooie, it was the only thing that ever kept me from completing the game 100%, and I finally overcame it during my last playthrough.

I still have nightmares about the Cloud Cuckooland race....never could beat that cheap bs. Only Jiggy I never got on the N64 version too...

Oh, and I thought of 2 more:

getting the Sword of Kings in EarthBound ( and once I reach the end on my current run, I plan on getting the ONLY 1 in 128 drop item I never got before: Ness' Gutsy Bat )

Completing the PokeDex, which I've done in most Pokemon games...hoping to finally do so again in Omega Ruby, but I have doubts on account of the continued "distribution only" bs ( seriously, when the heck are they releasing Hoopa? )

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:52 am

newageretrohippie wrote:
Completing the PokeDex, which I've done in most Pokemon games...hoping to finally do so again in Omega Ruby, but I have doubts on account of the continued "distribution only" bs ( seriously, when the heck are they releasing Hoopa? )

I've always seriously freaking hated that.

That they're STILL doing it just.... uuuugh. Granted, some of them are ones that I wouldnt really be using much anyway (since legendaries tend to be a bit OP, which makes me not want to use them). Really irritating.

Though I dont have Ruby/Sapphire myself yet, just Y.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

I think my second most satisfying moment was when I got my first pokemon to level 100.

-Blast335 (me)