Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Bearpaws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2015, 6:48 am

I've been having this issue for 4-5 years now. Every single day I am very tired mentally, social situations make me more tired for days after. Currently I'm not in school or working, because I really can't, I tried continuing my education but had trouble learning because I couldn't concentrate due to being so damn tired all the time.
Even just being at home I'm often too tired to do much of anything, I love playing video games but just don't feel like it most of the time, most of my time is spent watching tv or youtube stuff.
I'm living at home with my parents at the moment, and they leave me alone for the most part, they say hi when they come home, and we eat dinner together, that's a typical day for me when it comes to interacting with my parents.
I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation or has any advice?
(I'm a 22 year old guy)

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 6:56 am

Feeling exhausted all the time and having a loss of interest in things you used to enjoy doing are two classic symptoms of depression. Do you think you might be depressed?

Depression Symptom Checklist:
http://depressionhurts.ca/en/checklist/

Bearpaws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2015, 7:27 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Feeling exhausted all the time and having a loss of interest in things you used to enjoy doing are two classic symptoms of depression. Do you think you might be depressed?

No I don't think so, it's not that I'm losing interest, but rather that I'm just too tired to do it.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 7:32 am

You should see a doctor and perhaps take a multivitamin if your diet is limited. Tiredness could be due to depression or to a number of different physical problems. Your doctor will do blood tests and possibly a sleep study to explore various causes. No one can actually diagnose this online.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 7:42 am

Molly offers excellent advice....especially for an Ontarian

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 7:47 am

Yes, I would suggest going to see a doctor too. I've had the same problem through various periods in my life. My first job totally floored me and then I was unemployed for a year afterward. I took a 3 day per week job after that and worked like that for about 3 years and gradually built myself up to doing full time work again.

I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 3 different doctors have diagnosed me with this condition. Sometimes trying to concentrate is like pushing toffee through a sieve.

Bearpaws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2015, 8:09 am

See the thing is, I HAVE been to my doctor, about 3 years ago about the tiredness, and he too thought it might be some depression or something like that. So he wanted me to go to a psychiatrist, and he said I most likely had a mild case of autism. He then wanted me to go another psychiatrist at this hospital, and he confirmed that diagnosis.
And like suggested I have tried vitamins, I've tried melatonin to try and fall asleep more easily, and nothing has helped.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 10:57 am

I hate it when people say "It's just depression." Because there are a lot of different causes for not just depression, but feeling tired.
I have fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism, along with dealing with depression and other things and I've been studying myself and trying to understand what causes certain symptoms. Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I was told "You're just depressed." And I've had relatives who were told that and then they died of heart failure.
I'm no expert, by far, so I can only offer suggestions. Have they done blood tests on you, or did they just look at you? Have you looked into chronic fatigue syndrome?

Bearpaws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
I hate it when people say "It's just depression." Because there are a lot of different causes for not just depression, but feeling tired.
I have fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism, along with dealing with depression and other things and I've been studying myself and trying to understand what causes certain symptoms. Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I was told "You're just depressed." And I've had relatives who were told that and then they died of heart failure.
I'm no expert, by far, so I can only offer suggestions. Have they done blood tests on you, or did they just look at you? Have you looked into chronic fatigue syndrome?

Yes they did blood tests, lots of them.
Concerning chronic fatigue syndrome, I looked at it quick, and while some of it fits, a lot of it doesn't so I'm not so sure about that.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

Exercise and vitamin D should help some.

btw, is "mollytroubletail" the name of your cat? I have a cat named Molly.

Bearpaws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2015, 12:13 pm

olympiadis wrote:
Exercise and vitamin D should help some.

Nope, rode my bike 14km 5 days a week for many years, didn't do jack s**t to help.

Doom1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2015, 2:39 pm

What you eat and how much you eat of it can be a factor of that. I know with a lot of people with Autism that can be a problem as we obsess over what we eat. I used to eat ritually week by week. Sugary cereal for breakfast, hotdogs or whatever for lunch, chicken for dinner, candy at desert. Not to mention all the diet soda I drank... I went through three twelve packs in a week at least. What I didnt know was that all that stuff was making my body feel like crap but once I got off it all I felt great. Thats the thing with stuff like that, your brain will make you think your fine but your body will be in hell. Your lack of energy in things like that also can come from Clinical Depression. I dont exactly remember off head all the types of depression, which there are a lot, but its something you should get checked out by both a doctor and psychologist. Your symptoms can come from either your body/health or your mental state.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:46 pm

I know how frustrating it can be to have no answers and to have people suggesting things you've already tried :(
What does your diet look like? I know that if I eat the wrong foods, it actually makes me depressed feeling, lethargic, and just bleh in general.

Also, since not that much is known about chronic fatigue syndrome, it is possible you could have something similar, or it could be affecting you differently. It's related to fibromyalgia and I know fibro can present differently in each individual, and each person has to figure out what works for them separately. Like for me, I found that doing yoga and meditation and eating what is right for me helps a lot, while the medications did nothing.