Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm

Do you ever think of the perfect analogy, but realize no one can understand it? Just happened to me.

I thought about the perfect analogy to describe why my autism label makes it hard to get proper help.

It's pretty much the same reason I got misdiagnosed with lazy eye. Since my glasses prescription is weird, a lot of eye doctors didn't even try to give me the correct prescription. Unfortunately most people get confused when I talk about that, so it's a pretty useless analogy.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm

You may have to elaborate. Are you saying you think your AS diagnosis is incorrect, or that you have something else that was misdiagnosed as AS? Or is it that you have what you perceive to be just a few quirky traits, which others then misattribute to autism? I'm usually pretty good with analogies; they're my primary form of communication, but I have to admit, you've stumped me with this one.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 12:05 am

At this point I don't really care if my diagnosis is correct or not. I do notice that people treat me differently because of my diagnosis. When they don't know about my diagnosis they see my challenges as fixable, so they put effort into helping me.

When they know about my diagnosis they attribute all of my challenges to it and see me as a hopeless case.

This is pretty much the same experience I had at the eye doctor. My left eye is way worse than my right eye, so they assumed my left eye was lazy.

That basically means they didn't think my left eye could be corrected. They were wrong. My left eye just had astigmatism. It now sees fine with glasses.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 11:24 am

Yes I often think of what seem like great analogies, but when I communicate them, I realise that they're actually quite misleading.