Page 81 of 82 [ 1307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
two competing memes- "every man for himself, the devil take the hindmost" - or "we're all in this thing together" - the former is winning, and in his 1979 "Malaise" speech, President Jimmy Carter predicted what we are experiencing today here in the land of the unfree, home of the wage slave:
"We are at a turning point in our history. There are two paths to choose. One is the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure."

I think Gandhi used the litmus test of how we treat our animals as a guide for how civilised/advanced our collective societies have come. Given the gap between the richest and poorest in western society (perhaps with the exception of the Scandinavian countries) is fast getting wider and people seem to be "encouraged" to become more self-absorbed, it doesn't bode well at least in the short term

I can see the end of the worse as we know it, from where I stand. things are gonna get lots worse before they stop getting worse.

If we can't treat our fellow countrymen as equals then we have a long way to go to be compassionate to refugees and animals (although some people treat their dogs better than their neighbors)

it has been my experience that some people treat their animals better than their own family members! :o

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

@Cyberdad

Sorry about deviating from the subject, but look at your word usage here:

"This is typical. Republicans are made up of a a large number of ... who subscribe to these sought of conspiracy theories which feed into their prejudice. "

Its not "these sought of conspiracy theories".

Its "these SORT of conspiracy theories". :lol:

Don't know if that was just a typo, or if you really think that's how to say the phrase, but just in case its the latter:

"Sought" is a verb (past tense of "seek").

"Sort" is a noun ( for a 'kind' ,or a 'type' of something). And that's what you're talking about in that sentence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:09 pm

typos happen.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure[/i]."

This past March, I won the "Best of Show" award for a mixed-media painting in an art gallery exhibit.
How? I worked for it.
Also, the painting sold.
The art gallery owner encouraged anyone who sold a painting in her show
to donate part of the proceeds to charity.
Since it was a worthy charity that I believed in, I donated.

Next March, there's a good chance I'll pay the entry fee to submit new artwork.
There's also an excellent chance that I won't win a thing next year,
and selling a painting is not guaranteed.
In any case, I'll be very happy just to participate as one of the artists.

Meanwhile, there was no chaos when I had an advantage over others in the art gallery,
and I foresee no chaos next year when someone will else have an advantage over me by winning
and others may have an advantage over me by the sales they make.
I will be happy for whoever wins, admire the talent of those who sell their art,
and maybe secretly wish I could be the one to buy their jewelry, sculpture, fabric, photo, or painting.

In fact, I recently attended a gallery opening focusing exclusively on the work of two artists
and made a minor purchase of greeting cards from one of them.
Which reminds me, I need to send out one of the cards to my sister for her birthday ...
So basically, I benefited from the artist who sold her work to me
and she benefited from me buying her work, which is beautiful.

That's an example of win-win,
a real-world example showing the beauty of free market capitalism right there.
Many small businesses are run by actual real people like me and the other artist.

As an artist, I thrive on freedom.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
@Cyberdad

Sorry about deviating from the subject, but look at your word usage here:

"This is typical. Republicans are made up of a a large number of ... who subscribe to these sought of conspiracy theories which feed into their prejudice. "

Its not "these sought of conspiracy theories".

Its "these SORT of conspiracy theories". :lol:

Don't know if that was just a typo, or if you really think that's how to say the phrase, but just in case its the latter:

"Sought" is a verb (past tense of "seek").

"Sort" is a noun ( for a 'kind' ,or a 'type' of something). And that's what you're talking about in that sentence.

It's a typo buddy :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

the problem is that the high muckety-mucks have fixed things so that our capitalism and markets are NOT free, not by a long shot, other than the odd local markets. people allowed the power of market dominance seldom play fair with the rest of us, capitalists work towards getting their monopolies with a single minded vision, and once a monopoly is gained, never let go, never permit competition without a bloody fight. ask any union member.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the problem is that the high muckety-mucks have fixed things so that our capitalism and markets are NOT free, not by a long shot, other than the odd local markets. people allowed the power of market dominance seldom play fair with the rest of us, capitalists work towards getting their monopolies with a single minded vision, and once a monopoly is gained, never let go, never permit competition without a bloody fight. ask any union member.

There's a Hollywood movie called "2012" where most of the world drowns following a global catastrophe. What's interesting is that prior to the event - all the world's resources were funneled into a refuge to protect the wealthiest and most important people in the world with remaining space for a few civilians left to repopulate the world (a new servant class). I couldn't help but think wealthy industrialists who are climate skeptics have already built secret underground homes built to withstand the floods that will come later

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

There's a Hollywood movie called "2012" where most of the world drowns following a global catastrophe. What's interesting is that prior to the event - all the world's resources were funneled into a refuge to protect the wealthiest and most important people in the world with remaining space for a few civilians left to repopulate the world (a new servant class). I couldn't help but think wealthy industrialists who are climate skeptics have already built secret underground homes built to withstand the floods that will come later

I would put nothing past those randian types.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:

It's the little guys (gals?) like me
who support President Donald Trump.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:38 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

what has the GOP done for you lately?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

what has the GOP done for you lately?

By some miracle, they put Trump on the Republican ticket.

Other than that, not much.
Also, I didn't start out as a member of the GOP, btw,
so I have no qualms about going elsewhere if I feel the need.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:15 pm

Scaramucci knows exactly how to satisfy DJT with his work. He heaps praise on dear leader at every press conference.

"That was a huge, beautiful press conference. Now everyone knows how great my karma is." Yes, The Mooch claimed that Trump has "great karma."

The nickname is apparently one that Scaramucci himself favors, by the way.

I left NPR on overnight accidentally, and woke up to Gingrich lying. Didn't get my day off to a great start. By his logic, Trump can't trust the integrity of anyone but his hardcore supporters. Trump can't trust anyone who ever donated to a Dem candidate. Trump can't trust Trump.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 3:10 pm

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

Science has proven that Trump is a bad president.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

Trump might start World War 3.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm

Sarah Huckabee Sanders has picked up on how well flattery works on dear leader.