Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2015, 8:52 pm

So I went out to grab lunch late this afternoon when I happened to run into a male who I have known since 2007 at an Autism Center. He goes to school at the same university where I work and study as well. I attempted to say hello but as soon as he saw me in the distance he turned and walked another way and completely ignored me.

Backstory
In the beginning he appeared to be interested in my friends and I while attending the adult programs and sessions at this autism center. He even used to call me all the time and ask if I was interested in getting together with him. Then he started associating with a group of neurotypicals who do lots of drinking and started acting differently
1. Talking down to me like I was lesser of a person
2. Making and breaking promises to attend my parties
3. Creating excuses everytime I invited him to things
4. Avoiding me at parties
5. Complaining about how my parties were not good enough while not ever making suggestions to improve them
6. Whining about me tagging him in certain facebook pages which would make he look bad employmentwise
He has said he was sorry and would never treat me like that on several occasions but he kept on doing it.

I saw him on New Year's this year and this time he told me out loud in front of his friends that he's higher functioning than I am. This was the last last draw for me. I finally said that I was better off and I didn't want to maintain contact with him. I also made it pretty clear him that I am not his friend because he just isn't trustworthy.

I don't but what's wrong with us saying a quick "Hi how are you" and move on without one snubbing the other.

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Jun 2015, 10:08 pm

sounds like a jerk. not sure why this surprised you and bothered you enough to think about it this much.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 10:36 am

Oh I acknowledge that is a jerk. What I want to know if he did the right thing or would it be appropriate to be polite to each other without talking about our lives?

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Jun 2015, 10:38 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Oh I acknowledge that is a jerk. What I want to know if he did the right thing or would it be appropriate to be polite to each other without talking about our lives?

It shouldn't matter to you whether or not he did the right thing. You should be polite to people and do the right thing. If other people don't do the right thing, don't let it bother you as you can only control yourself.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 10:54 am

One of the great lessons you will learn in life is that it's not good to give people too much power over you -- especially idiots and anyone to whom you have no real emotional attachment.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 12:07 pm

I did send him an e-mail about the way he acted by not really calling him out. Rather I wrote "It was nice to see you" in the title and suggested that we just be polite and respectful to each other rather than getting mad when one sees the other.

Was he rude? Without a doubt but I didn't want to guilt trip him by being too harsh. I have a history of other people doing things that push my buttons and then get upset with them every time either party turns around.

I thought it was a nice gesture on my behalf and if anything the ball would be in his court.