Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:25 am

blauSamstag wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
And I'm not saying that "autism" was responsible for the murder-suicide.

typically murder-suicides are perpetrated by people who can't cope. A neurotypical or mostly neurotypical person did a bad thing because he couldn't see any way forward. Under a lot of pressure he did something rash. It's just sad.

What I find frustrating is whenever a parent kills a disabled child, there is sympathy but when a parent who also cannot cope or suffers from a mental illness kills their normal kids, they are painted as a monster and they have no sympathy.

I dunno. We had a lady out here who had half a dozen mummified newborns in her garage.

Turns out she has a really weak personality, and her husband is an as*hole who both didn't want kids and wouldn't let her use birth control.

Yeah, she's in jail, but it's just sad.

And he wouldn't let her put them up for an adoption either or use the Safe Haven Law?

I sometimes wish there was one for disabled people too. Caretakers would be allowed to drop them off somewhere and the state will take care of them and the parents won't have to pay a dime for it or face any charges just like newborn mothers.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 11:57 am

League_Girl wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
And I'm not saying that "autism" was responsible for the murder-suicide.

typically murder-suicides are perpetrated by people who can't cope. A neurotypical or mostly neurotypical person did a bad thing because he couldn't see any way forward. Under a lot of pressure he did something rash. It's just sad.

What I find frustrating is whenever a parent kills a disabled child, there is sympathy but when a parent who also cannot cope or suffers from a mental illness kills their normal kids, they are painted as a monster and they have no sympathy.

I dunno. We had a lady out here who had half a dozen mummified newborns in her garage.

Turns out she has a really weak personality, and her husband is an as*hole who both didn't want kids and wouldn't let her use birth control.

Yeah, she's in jail, but it's just sad.

And he wouldn't let her put them up for an adoption either or use the Safe Haven Law?

I sometimes wish there was one for disabled people too. Caretakers would be allowed to drop them off somewhere and the state will take care of them and the parents won't have to pay a dime for it or face any charges just like newborn mothers.

She hid all the pregnancies.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 12:08 am

Was it Megan Huntsman?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2015, 11:09 am

I just read the article and it's really, really sad. Unfortunately, it's very common for some parents to kill their Autistic children for one reason or another. I can understand them being frustrated about not having proper adequate care for their Autistic children after they die, but a murder-suicide is not the answer. From what I've read, it does seem like the author of this article is emphasizing how hard it is for an Autistic person to receive proper services once they reach adulthood and gave countless examples including another failed murder-suicide attempt between a mother and her severely disabled daughter in 2013. But, what these people did is never okay.

In the end, the one that suffers is the Autistic person themselves either through neglect from relatives or the state. And that's basically what happened to that 20-year old man. I personally feel that the reason why many Autistics don't receive proper care, especially after adulthood, has something to do with a rigged, crooked system. The system was set up for failure. No one is truly equal unless you're on top. Many of these Autism organizations have a long waiting list or don't contact you at all even if you've made several attempts. And as far as group homes are concerned, many of them are full of careless staff who abuse anyone who can't defend themselves. In that case, it doesn't matter if you're disabled or just an elderly person. Someone could take advantage of you. If you can't contribute to society like "normal people", you have no rights.

In my case, if anything were to happen to my dad today or tomorrow, I'd have nowhere to turn to. Just asking any of my relatives for help is a burden. No one would take me in because I basically burned my bridges on both sides of my family (I actually feel torn between the two for many reasons). My sister wouldn't want me because I don't have a job. So, I would have no other choice but to go to a homeless shelter. I could live with my other grandma down in Texas, but she's getting up there in age and lives in a senior citizen's home. I wouldn't wanna be a burden on her either. The bottom line is that most of these Autism programs are worthless. I sometimes wonder if some of these people (like the founders of Autism speaks) started these "charities" as a way to get a tax write-off and money from the state. In America, charity is just another word for big business.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 10:15 pm

ASAN Statement on the Murder of Nicholas Richett

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman