Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:04 am

I know people under 18 cannot "have" a personality disorder, but can they be on the route of developing one?

I don't self harm (except punching my head when I'm mad) but I've noticed a few borderline traits in how I am.
I have a hard time keeping up with my friends, as I'm constantly hyper jealous and hate them and try to disconnect when they spend time with other people, and then when they come back it feels like nothing never happened and if we were just good friends.
Also, I get angry and cry for things other would consider banal, for example losing at a game or, a better example; Last day my mother was remind me of a fight we had the night before:

*calmly* Mom: Please tell me you won't be mad again tonight because I'm listening to tv.

Me: Shut up! Why do you always hate me!?

*Starts getting angry* Mom: I wasn't targetting you! Why are you always so mad at me!? I don't get it!

Me: No! You're the one always saying I'm worth nothing and that I suck! (I'm always exaggerating when I get into arguments) *Starts crying as my mother tells me I'm an immature brat and that 15 year old men shouldn't cry*

So, that was it, the most common example of conversations I have with my parents. Also, my father is diagnosed with BPD, does this makes my chance of having a PD?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 7:26 am

Based on your other posts I'd say that your behaviour stems from feelings of inadequacy. I used to and to an extent still get angry/jealous and disconnect from others as you have described. That's because I was socially inferior, struggling in many aspects of my life etc.

If you are aware of these things and want to change them, you can.

I don't know whether your dad having a personality disorder would increase your chances of having one, but if that's the case you should make effort to avoid becoming that way. Personality disorders are not attractive.

If you sit there and think about it, I'm sure you can figure out why you do these things without exploring labels. Discovering a real reason as to why you act the way you do will relieve you and provide opportunity for fixing your issues, whereas the more attractive, simple explanation (a label) will not.

That said, you could have a condition or be developing one. Though, they are things you should actively avoid IMO.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 2:41 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I know people under 18 cannot "have" a personality disorder, but can they be on the route of developing one?

I don't self harm (except punching my head when I'm mad) but I've noticed a few borderline traits in how I am.
I have a hard time keeping up with my friends, as I'm constantly hyper jealous and hate them and try to disconnect when they spend time with other people, and then when they come back it feels like nothing never happened and if we were just good friends.
Also, I get angry and cry for things other would consider banal, for example losing at a game or, a better example; Last day my mother was remind me of a fight we had the night before:

*calmly* Mom: Please tell me you won't be mad again tonight because I'm listening to tv.

*Starts getting angry* Mom: I wasn't targetting you! Why are you always so mad at me!? I don't get it!

Me: No! You're the one always saying I'm worth nothing and that I suck! (I'm always exaggerating when I get into arguments) *Starts crying as my mother tells me I'm an immature brat and that 15 year old men shouldn't cry*

So, that was it, the most common example of conversations I have with my parents. Also, my father is diagnosed with BPD, does this makes my chance of having a PD?

I think this is relatively common teenaged behavior. You are still developing neurologically. Be a little more forgiving of yourself, a little more forgiving of others, and a little more self assured. Also, get a hobby and stop causing drama.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 12:58 am

I was diagnosed with a BPD last year, but it's very likely I've had it before then. I had a rough childhood and I guess I've had it forever. If your father has it, it may be likely that you have it; you are his son, thus, Y trait is passed.
I experience the same things you are. I struggle to know what my emotions are and often experience the extremes of happiness, sadness, and anger in various shifts throughout the day, sometimes without reason. My counselor said is one thing it can look like is I am being clingy or paranoid. The arguments you have wish your parents are similar to mine but my parents don't want to accept the idea that I have trouble regulating my emotions.
Best of luck to you and your answers.

Owl123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2015, 9:50 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

We have sort of similarities. I would also do stuffs like that previously lol I was also thinking if I might have BPD. :roll:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

http://www.bpddemystified.com/overview/
Yes--teenaged years and 20s

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

Actually, people under 18 can have PDs. And most BPD has onset around 10-12 years old.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm

Best PD site on the web.

http://www.outofthefog.net/index.html