Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Purpleella
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2015, 6:32 am

Hi, I was diagnosed with Aspergers yesterday at a three appointment with adult autism services in Bristol. I am 36, married with three children (aged 4,6, and 8) and my eldest is also on the spectrum. I have had a lifetime of messing things up socially, not fitting in, meltdowns and stress. It has impacted on my career, marriage, and other relationships. Basically it's a massive relief to have finally figured out what's 'wrong' with me.

On the other hand I'm kinda scared, how will people react to this news, will they believe me? Does this mean I'll always have to work really hard to achieve what other's do socially with ease? Where is my niche in the world.

So it's great to find this forum (which was on the adult services website as a link) and potentially some other aspies to chat with.

Ella

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 8:32 am

Welcome! :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 4:53 pm

Hey Ella welcome. :sunny:

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jun 2015, 4:55 pm

Welcome!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 7:54 pm

Welcome to the journey of re-discovery, Ella :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Purpleella
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2015, 1:43 am

Hi, thanks everyone. I just reread my post and can't believe how many errors I made! I was a bit wobbly yesterday because of the diagnosis. Having it has made me realise that even a professional diagnosis can never be 100% conclusive, as I don' t necessarily feel any more certain that I did pre diagnosis. I mean it really does fit, but without a conclusive test how do we ever know for sure?

Also my profile pic isn't showing on my posts. Is that because I'm a newbie.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 8:45 am

Welcome!

At this time it may not be necessary to tell everyone of your diagnosis; perhaps just a select few.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm

Purpleella wrote:
Also my profile pic isn't showing on my posts. Is that because I'm a newbie.

There seems to be two places to edit your avatar at the moment (after a recent update). For me, it works in the Edit Avatar section of the settings but not the Edit Profile section, so perhaps try the other one if one isn't working.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm

Marky9 wrote:
Welcome!

At this time it may not be necessary to tell everyone of your diagnosis; perhaps just a select few.

This is good advice. After I was diagnosed (> 2 years ago), I was very curious what other's reaction would be. I quickly learned to only share on a need to know basis.

jdibella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2015, 11:42 pm

I haven't been diagnosed but I'm pretty certain im somewhere on the spectrum. if I did have a diagnosis I wouldn't tell anyone anyway. i understand your feelings about this I think. It explains so much and makes me look back on my life with a certain sadness. If I knew, I would have made many different choices in all parts of my life and learned better coping to avoid so many bad experiences. I just found this website too.

ponder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2015, 2:20 am

Welcome, 39 and while the first mentions were a few years ago also just had the official verdict two weeks ago (hard to find what you need to do and where to go).
Quite a lot of people know I have some psycho issues since I joke about the tests a lot but the real reason is known to few people.