Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Rodey316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2015, 10:42 am

I think he may have that or ADHD, or a combination of the two. It seems like a lot of aspects pertaining to society are foreign to him, like he questions things to Hobbes in comic strips, about life and the logic behind Santa Claus. Also, he has a notably advanced vocabulary for his age considering that he's only six years old. His imagination, like any child, tends to run wild but his imagination is perhaps more complex than the average kid, given that he pretends to crash-land on alien planets, finds himself lost in a world without the laws of perspective, and also he imagines that he travels the space-time continuum with Hobbes. He clearly displays above-average intelligence and has a unique way of perceiving the world. As for the ADHD, he daydreams a LOT during class and when his parents lecture him. Also, he's hyperactive and running around the house and playing games that he created. In addition, he seems to have trouble with resisting impulsive behaviors, as he's worried about Santa putting him on the naughty list, but he just can't help throwing a snowball at Susy Derkins. What do you guys think?

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:51 am

I think you assess it very accurately. AS and ADHD are very often co-morbid, as I expect you know.

Maybe Calvin's creator is on the spectrum too! :)

Rodey316
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2015, 10:56 am

Bill Watterson? Perhaps. The fact that he created a character with this sort of personality may reflect off of his own personality. :)

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2015, 7:37 am

Well Bill is very reclusive so it's possible. Hard to say because of it not much is really known about him but it is said he was a loner in childhood and drawing to keep himself to himself.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 3:24 am

I think he does. I can't remember where it was, but my grandfather found a list of people and characters who were on the spectrum, and Calvin was on there. It totally makes sense to me. I mean, his intelligence, his obsession with dinosaurs and comic books, the fact that he shows little interest in socialization, it all seems to click. I identified strongly with him as a kid, and it seems that the comics have only gotten better as I've gotten older.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:35 am

I think he's just a cartoon character so it's not really possible that he has anything. If the person who draws the strip knows about AS and wants to make him have it then maybe he's done that but if he did that then I'd assume he would let it be known because otherwise whats the point?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com