What character or movie did you most identify with?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

I wasn't really allowed to see mainstream movies until I was a 'tween. The original Star Wars was my first and so of course I identified with...R2-D2. Later I felt the same affection/identification toward Huey, Dewey and Louie from Silent Running when I saw it. If was a child of this era, it'd probably be Wall-e ...and a certain tinker-fairy who never seems to quite socially mesh with the others. Now, books...pretty much any capable female protagonist I could find. Sadly, my folks took away anything that had an obviously strong female main or even secondary characters. Television? Laura Ingalls. She didn't seem to mind solitude, got in trouble a lot, and often seemed to be part of things only by virtue of being there. Yet she was somehow separate from everyone else.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

I have had interesting conversations about this in the past. Two of my long-term very close friends identify me with Scarlet O'Hara from the famous Oscar winning film of the 1930s, "Gone With The Wind", because of my independence of spirit, not being much of a conventional conformist in my thinking or choices, resourcefulness and refusal to ever give up if something is important enough to me. I am hopeless at flirting though, which Scarlet excelled at!

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 2:13 am

Charlie Weasley, he is obsessed with dragons, too bad he wasn't really in the Harry Potter movies.

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2017, 11:09 am

Two weeks and five days after my 22nd birthday, I watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and found myself identifying with the protagonist, Tuco Ramirez. Particularly in three scenes: when he goes to get water for Bill Carson and finds him dead by the time he gets back; when he forgot nine years ago to ask about his parents; and when he misidentified Union soldiers as Confederates.
This is a character who is as fierce and dangerous as he is a lovable goofball, and I think I tend to come across that way. I recognised both my clumsiness, my impulsive attitude and my volatile temper in him, as well as my contrast of determination and distraction.
I've even dressed up as him a few times. That was so much fun.

I also identify with the plight of Gang-du from The Host, who of course is far more heroic and selfless, and I identify with the stigma that befalls him for being a klutz and an idiot.

T.cheloniformis
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2017, 5:35 pm

I never really identified with anything/anyone fictional until recently, but I feel like I can connect with the film American Beauty (1999), particularly the characters' desires to avoid normality. The thought of one Day finding yourself doing the same boring, in Apes long thing for your whole life always makes me shudder.

I can also identify with Andrew Detmer in Chronicle (2012) in how no one seems to care about his feelings, only his behavior.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 5:44 pm

Haku from Spirited Away: a mysterious dragon boy searching for home and the person he loves.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht

03 Feb 2017, 2:04 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Haku from Spirited Away: a mysterious dragon boy searching for home and the person he loves.

Cool!