Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 4:33 pm

I use to run alot outside (quite a large city) but given up b/c of boredom and will to switch to other sports (now doing mainly TRX, pulls ups and push ups.

Anyway you can't run with out sports' shoes as mentioned beforehand, at least sport elegant so you can use the same pair for jogging and generally speaking daily tasks as well thus saving you money.

Confidence. Confidence. Confidence. BTW who said you need to run? start walking 30 min each other day (taking different routes), but when I mean walking I don't mean like you're chilling out sightseeing but rather going as fast as you can without actually "running" (about 6-7 kmph). Gradually increase speed after a few weeks. You will also need to work on your breath, otherwise you can try that for years and it won't work.

One last thing, consult with a gym instructor or something or even someone here on the forums who actually have a diploma at it and is willing to help (you'll need a properly planned training routine, you'll need to eat because running BURNS alot.)

Srsly tho don't give a rat's ass about what other people are thinking of you. I was extremely inconfident and now I have improved a TON, I am in a serious relationship with a girl I love, doing good in college etc, highly recommend you go for it and even ask your folks to help you financialy. Heck mine do, I can't pay my full expenses by myself....

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2016, 8:40 am

Sorry this is a bit OT, Chummy, but I'm digging the Simmons pad avatar!

I started out with just slow jogging for as long as I could handle, maybe 10 minutes, then I brisk-walked for about a minute, then I jogged for another minute, and so on, until I got to anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes (basically interval training.) Then once the initial 10 minutes got easy, I'd jog 15 minutes, then alternate between brisk-walking and jogging. As it got easier, I'd increase my time by 5 minutes. As far as improving your speed goes, there are some strength exercises you can do for your lower body (squats, lunges, etc,) but I also like to incorporate cycling, either outdoors or on a stationary bike. This will help improve cardio, as well as strength. You can also run sprints as well to improve speed. Just remember to take your time, and don't be afraid to push yourself, but not too much. After almost five years of running, I'm up to 10 miles without stopping. Granted, I don't go fast on these longer runs, just fast enough to still be able to hold a conversation if I wanted to, and still control my breathing.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 3:43 pm

justin_havu wrote:

Wild smile appeared.

Lol that's so cool indeed. I see you've got some keyboard/synth love yourself, Roland JV :) I actually just Ebay ordered a JV-1010 module... for my midi keytar.

Woah getting off topic tho, so I should be stopping now hehe.

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2016, 10:09 pm

Chummy wrote:
justin_havu wrote:

Wild smile appeared.

Lol that's so cool indeed. I see you've got some keyboard/synth love yourself, Roland JV :) I actually just Ebay ordered a JV-1010 module... for my midi keytar.

Woah getting off topic tho, so I should be stopping now hehe.

I don't have that particular JV anymore, but I still have my JV-80, which sounds great, but needs some TLC (Some of the tact switches are dead and need replacing.) My main rig now includes a Kurzweil PC2X and K2000VP, Midi'd to a Korg TR-Rack. I'll take the JV-80 out if I want those gorgeous pad sounds.

Anyway, back on topic
I did a 5-mile run yesterday. Kinda proud of myself for controlling my anxiety as much as I could, as I really don't like having to deal with traffic, and the potential thought of other people even looking at me. Even them taking a half a second to glance at me makes me uncomfortable. I feel like the reason I can get up and play in front of people is because music is really easy for me to focus on. Very rarely will I get anxious about people, except for when the random drunk stands just a tad too close to me. Can't have that.

KelseyHinton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2017, 4:25 am

Never be ashamed to jog in public.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:16 am

Used to go out jogging in public all the time years ago, before I got my treadmill. In advocacy of the former: treadmill runs while just as much a workout can't compare to having the wind in your face as you cover actual distance. :)
I did encounter incidents in my time running outdoors which would put anyone off exercising in public, and they weren't even limited to running solo. Of all the times, particularly if you are feeling nervous about taking the proverbial leap and/or anticipate embarrassment: early morning runs are the best to avoid inappropriate human beings. Though I hope you won't get any comments, catcalls or car beeps; if they happen all you can do is ignore them as they aren't worth a second of your time.
There's been some good tips regarding running itself already, but I shall state: never, ever forget to warm up before and after running, particularly in the morning when muscles have had all night to tighten and contract. It often may feel unnecessary to do leg and arm stretching routines after a work out too, but it is so important to do both as it dramatically reduces risk of tears and other sport's injuries.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:06 am

The best piece of advice I can give anyone is to not just buy proper running shoes, but find out any feet problem you might have. How your feet arch is also very important. For example, if you know you have flat feet or you are overpronated, you will want to ask people selling shoes for some advice on the kind of shoes to buy for your overpronated feet. The opposite being overarched feet is called oversuppination. Flat feet (pronate) from my understanding tend to point away from eachother while over arching feet (suppinate) tend to point towards eachother. Normal feet point forward.

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2017, 4:15 pm

Sunglasses? Cool ones.

Kind Regards, Nay.