Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PastIsPrologue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2015, 12:50 am

(Skip to the end if you don't want to read about my dumb life)

To start off, my family never taught me how to take care of myself. Like, at all. They didn't teach me how to bathe or brush my teeth properly. They didn't teach me that I should ever wash my face or what proper toilet procedures are. I mostly ate eighty-eight cent TV dinners and snack cakes and was never taught to eat any other way. Somehow I survived over two decades without ever really drinking water other than a few sips from the school fountain. No one ever taught me that water was literally essential to life. If I'm not explicitly told and taught something, I probably won't pick up on it. I spent my childhood and adolescence grossly unhygienic and unhealthy. No one ever bothered to correct me.

Now that I'm in college, I'm trying to teach myself how to be... human. I've got the basics of hygiene down (though I'm still lacking in some departments) and I'd like to start eating healthier and being active. I'd like to try to exercise, which I've never really done. I've always been very underweight, so I don't want to lose weight. I have practically no muscle tone and although it'd be nice not to struggle to life a box of soda, I'm not very concerned with getting muscular at all. I spend a lot of my time sitting down and I have the stretch marks and beginnings of cellulite to prove it, much to my annoyance.

I think I'd like to start jogging, but I'm very nervous about it. I live in a medium sized city with no real private areas to jog in. I get nervous just walking down the sidewalk knowing that people can see me, so I can't imagine how anxious jogging in public will make me. I don't even have proper exercise clothes and can't afford proper jogging shoes. I know I'll look stupid in my t-shirt and Converse, gasping for breath because I have no stamina. My college has a free gym but I know I'd be way to overstimulated in there and more embarrassed to be surrounded by fit people.

So basically I'm looking for advice on how to jog without being so nervous and embarrassed, or any health tips in general. Help me be healthy! :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:02 am

is there someone you could jog with? also, proper shoes are important not to injure yourself. i'd just walk fast until i got proper running shoes.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:19 am

If you have not jogged or otherwise exercised before, i would suggest walking instead of running. You would likely be less self-conscious and less likely to injure yourself. Jogging can always be added later if you want to.

If you are underweight consider adding some push-ups at home. No gym required, no extra equipment needed.

Congrats on positive changes!

sagarverma
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jun 2015, 11:31 pm

Go along with your friends that will be more fun.

PastIsPrologue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2015, 12:52 am

I only have one friend and she hates running. She goes to the gym and uses the stair stepper machine.

We walk her dog for about thirty minutes each day and I spend about half an hour walking to and from class. So I've got walking down.

I'm disappointed to hear that proper shoes are so important as I'm currently struggling to even buy groceries. I'll have to wait quite a while before I have the money to spend on shoes.

Thanks for your replies, though!

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2015, 8:08 am

I go into and out of running phases. Just starting one up again :P I usually run more in spring/summer/fall and less in winter, because of the amount of snow and ice we get.

What I do when I'm starting out is use the app "couch to 5k". There are a lot of imitators out there, but if you look for the app by Zen Labs, that's the real one. It is basically a training program - you can set it to play your music and it tells you to start walking and then start running, and then walk again, then run, in intervals where the running gets longer the more days you progress through. It's 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week, and by the end of 8 weeks you're supposed to be able to run a 5K. The app is free.

If running turns into something you really like and you want to invest a couple of dollars in another running app, I really suggest "Zombies, Run!" This is their website: https://zombiesrungame.com/.

The Zombies, Run! app got me obsessed with running. It's kind of like a roleplaying game while you're running. The story is that there's been a zombie apocalypse and you are "Runner 5", a runner for Abel Township. You go on "missions" and over your headphones in between music songs you get reports from people telling you what's happening. You can turn on an option where at random points it will tell you zombies are chasing you, and you need to speed up your pace to successfully outrun them. It used the GPS on your phone to track your speed.

I find when I'm distracted by fun things like this, I'm less aware of whether other people are watching me run or not (and chances are they're probably not). Are there quiet neighbourhoods around you? Residential areas? I live in a medium sized city but luckily near the university there are residential neighbourhoods. I run early in the morning in these neighbourhoods and rarely see another person.

Also a tip for running shoes - if your feet are small enough, see if you can fit in "youth" shoes. I've managed to get my first two pairs of real running shoes for very cheap because my feet are too small for men's shoes - my first pair was a youth's shoe which was cheaper than adult shoes, and my second pair was a woman's pair on sale (I'm a guy but fit into women's sizes and I managed to avoid all the pink and purple.) I totally understand the money issues, but if you do a lot of walking, it's worth the investment - I usually can only afford to own one pair of shoes at a time, and wear them until they wear out. I find my "real" running shoes hold up as my only pair of shoes and last much longer than any other shoe store brand.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

BlackMambaYopa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2015, 8:38 am

You don't have to feel embarrassed

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 12:10 am

I went through the same dilemma of being afraid of running in public a while ago. When I was thirteen I tried doing high school track. It went okay for a while then I tried to run the mile event. I finished dead last by two laps in front of hundreds of people, I died on the inside, I don't know why I finished the race, it definitely wasn't because of proving I could. Anyway I've started running again a lot this year because I tired of being weak. My advice: Don't be afraid of your college gym, anyone there is there for the same basic reason as you, to improve. They should respect that you're there trying. That's what I told myself anyways when I started and I've stuck with it. After a week or two you'll most likely see real results and the anxiety should go away, I do recommend that you eat enough and allow yourself proper amounts or rest. Last week I ran maybe 8 miles in 5 days and I'm paying for it still.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2015, 8:06 am

I learned something very valuable recently that I think others could benefit from:

The people you see on the street who, in turn, see you too; you're a blip in their minds. They won't remember you 5 seconds from the time their eyes relay the visual information to their brain. It's processed and thrown out.

Same with you. You won't remember them unless you choose to. You see someone attractive or have some outstanding feature. Then you'll remember them.

Not to be insulting here but it's probably true that you're plain. There's nothing outwardly remarkable about you. They won't remember you. They'll see you and think nothing of it.

Jog away.

I usually looked down at the ground when walking and there were cars coming. I didn't want people thinking of me as being stupid, an idiot, fat, dorky, that I have a zit...I realized I'm not so remarkable that I would stick in their minds for the rest of the day or week or longer. I'm a blip. I now walk with my head up looking forward.

Hope it helps.

Oh, here's a video that explains it better than I ever could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o268qbb_0BM

PatriciaMorgan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2016, 5:45 am

You need the healthy tips.
First of all, you have realized yourself and its the best time to look after yourself. Your skin also got the some issues like cellulites, like you have mentioned. And if the matter comes of jogging, then what people want guys, it's your health, your body, your choice, don't let others rule you.
Simple healthy tips: Take the simple workout daily, no muscles tones, no weight lose, just the fitness routine, also the healthy diet which will improve your skin and the health. This is the best way in which your health and mind are in good manner.
Now, for the beginning of cellulites, you need the massage with the appareil cellulite, everyday. this will improve your skin tissues and will keep your skin away from the cellulites.
Start following this and within few weeks you will see the results.
Take care and the good time to improve your self. :)

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2016, 2:26 pm

Let me start off by saying that we tend to be our own worst critics. We are self-conscious of things that people barely notice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with jogging in a Converse t-shirt. As a matter of fact, I seldom ever wear gym clothes when working out. You should, however, make sure you are at least comfortable to jog in your clothes. You don't necessarily need running shoes, but you should wear flats to avoid injury. As long as you aren't out running in a wedding gown and a pair of high heels, you'll be fine. As for that part about running out of breath easily, I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you. If anyone criticizes you for it (which is unlikely) tell them to go pound sand. Remember: you're out there to get fit. If you really are self-conscious, go jogging in a place where there aren't a lot of people, or invest in a treadmill/gym membership. Don't be embarrassed about going to the gym: many of the people there are in the same boat as you. Gyms aren't full of muscle-clad men; they're full mostly of people trying to get in shape. However, to avoid injury, you should start off easy; it sounds as if you've been living a sedentary lifestyle up to now.
You mentioned that you are underweight but have little muscle, and that you have cellulite. Weight isn't always a key factor of health. In your case, even though you're underweight, you have too much body fat. Cardio (jogging) will help get rid of that fat, but in order to really be healthy, you also need to get some muscle on you, which will require some strength-training (another way a gym membership could come in handy.)

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 5:06 am

As others have said most people are so tied up in their own lives they won't even notice one person out walking or jogging. Pick out the local park, path or beach and look at the other people out there walking and jogging. You'll look just like that and blend in with the crowd. It may help with your confidence to go out there at a time when others are out there, you're more likely to draw attention to yourself if you're the only one somewhere private.

You don't need any special clothing, just whatever feels comfortable. A t-shirt or singlet and pair of shorts works for me.

Most walking and running shoes are massively over priced and sold on the basis of colours and brand names. Many of the more expensive athletic shoes are just as good as the cheap ones, people buy them because they seem to think spending twice as much = better. I've been a distance runner most of my life and speaking from experience brand names are a bunch of baloney. All the running shoes I've come had have been mass produced in Asia, of similar quality and very little difference except colour and a variety of conspicuous brand names and marketing mumbo jumbo.

Yes, shoes are important, as indeed are socks. Money spent on shoes and socks is largely irrelevant to performance. Cheap running shoes from a "unfashionable brand" are fine. What does matter is the fit and the comfort. If you put them on, lace them up (not too tight, not too loose) and walk around in them. They should feel instantly comfortable. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on shoes. You can save money on shoes which are "last year's stock" or similar older models. Same goes for socks. The last couple of years I've been wearing socks that cost $10 for 3 pairs from a local chain store. They work for me. Comfortable. No blisters.

Start off with a target of working up to walking 5Km.
Once you're comfortable doing this check this out:

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

This is by far the safest way to build yourself up to running 5Km without injuries.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:42 am

Feyokien wrote:
I went through the same dilemma of being afraid of running in public a while ago. When I was thirteen I tried doing high school track. It went okay for a while then I tried to run the mile event. I finished dead last by two laps in front of hundreds of people, I died on the inside, I don't know why I finished the race, it definitely wasn't because of proving I could. Anyway I've started running again a lot this year because I tired of being weak. My advice: Don't be afraid of your college gym, anyone there is there for the same basic reason as you, to improve. They should respect that you're there trying. That's what I told myself anyways when I started and I've stuck with it. After a week or two you'll most likely see real results and the anxiety should go away, I do recommend that you eat enough and allow yourself proper amounts or rest. Last week I ran maybe 8 miles in 5 days and I'm paying for it still.

I know how you feel.

I fancy myself a decent runner, but every school event I screwed up real bad.

In the 100m sprint, I vomitted due to pre-performance anxiety, and this made me come dead-last.

At another school event, there was the cross-country in another location, which had to be signed up for, and for those who chose not to (the vast majority of students), was taking laps around the school oval at your own pace (walking, jogging, running, etc.).

First two laps I overtook everyone at least once, most were walking but plenty jogging or running as well, then vommitted on the ground on my third - I knew I needed a damn break, but just didn't bother taking one. Break due to lack of energy and hydration.

Trials for sports day, we were to try all of the events.

The very first event, 400m run, I overshot at the very start and slowed down halfway in the race, many surpassing me. I blacked out for a split second while in the middle of running - I beat about 3 or 4 people, but was still around the middle-back end of the race. The other 3 didn't look like they were even trying anyway. I, again, vommitted at the end and went home early.

I originally thought it was only 200m long, so a few weeks after when someone said it was actually the 400m, I justified it by saying "No wonder it was so hard!
" lol

Otherwise, I ran around school all the time to and from classes, was pretty damn fast and had pretty damn good stamina as I rarely got exhausted from it.

I was well-known as 'the runner' and the guy always in a hurry.

There were some good things that came out of my epic fails:

1. Because of my self-confidence, I easily didn't care what anyone thought, even if I consistently stuffed up.

2. I learnt my limits regarding running. I was so over-confident and arrogant as I had been 3-6 months into working out, and in the first 6-12 months strength gains are usually fast - this made me believe I was far more fitter than I ever was before (which is true, but not enough to the point I could do athletic feats that were unrealistic for me at the time - I didn't realize they were unrealistic, I always pushed myself way too hard in the home gym and at school, I was wonderful regarding effort in many ways).

3. I learnt competitive sports is entirely meaningless, and what really matters is you are happy with yourself. After my last stuff up and having no more opportunities at school sports events, I realized how little it actually mattered to me. I never aimed to be 'the best' or anything, I just knew and felt i was the best I could be anyway.

So yeah. I learnt from my mistakes and I'm happy now, I'm sure you are too.

LOLWUTAREYOUDOIN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

Unless you're covered in blood and carrying a severed head, most people aren't going to pay much attention to you if you're jogging in public. As one other person said in this thread earlier, you are a blip on the radar to most people if they are just passing by you. The only reason most people would pay significant attention to what you're doing is if they potentially see you as a threat.

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2016, 11:21 pm

I get my shoes from eBay. I love Saucony shoes--they're very comfortable, but YMMV. (I spent maybe less than $30 for the ones I'm using now.)

I struggle with anxiety myself. Thankfully I live in a quiet neighborhood, and I like it quiet when I'm out running, so if a car passes me, I freak out over it. I have a hard time not noticing cars passing me due to my attention deficit disord--oh look, a squirrel!

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 2:04 pm

Is there a running track close by--a standard 400 meter track, at a school or college, or even at a municipal facility? You'll often see people there in worse shape than you, beginning that 1000 mile journey with a single step. :wink:

You jog as far as you can, then walk until you've recovered enough to jog again. Work up to one continuous lap---about a quarter mile US---without stopping. Then try for 2 laps. No cars to deal with, and trust me, no one is going to laugh at you or your gear.

You can stop any time you want to. And you'll also see a fair amount of walkers doing laps, too.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits