Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

I love mathematics and I am at a university level which means I am expected to prove things but I seem to not be able to concentrate.

When I'm trying to prove something it feels like I can't think at all and my brain won't relax when I'm trying to think of a proof I'll be interrupted by my brain firing and I'll get sidetracked. I just feel I can't think deeper and it's pissing me off. I took a slight break from math until now so it could be that, please help while I try to concentrate to prove a theorem about analytic functions.

What do you think may help?

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 8:27 am

Rudin wrote:
university level

I thought you were in 6th grade and 12 though 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 8:28 am

I would take a five-minute break, relax your muscles, then get back into the analysis.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 8:48 am

iliketrees wrote:
Rudin wrote:
university level

Yes that is correct. I take university courses though but I am technically in 6th grade.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 9:03 am

He's a math genius!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 9:57 am

Lucky you; I love math but I've always been kept at grade level. Then again, I was never particularly far ahead of grade level; I didn't study math on my own or anything. I did that with science, and just learned the math I needed to understand it. Relativity theory at age 12? Yes please. :)

Try writing everything down. That way, you only have to work one step at a time instead of keeping the whole thing in your head. I know you've probably been able to jump straight to the answer without writing everything down until now, but now that you're working on more complex problems that may take a page or more to work out, you need to "keep records", so to speak. If you find you're going in the wrong direction, you can look back over your work and see where you made your mistake.

I know you're good at math, but you're still young; you may not have the academic experience that other people learning college math do. And now that you're working at your actual ability level, you probably need those skills for the first time. It's the average students who are often the best at studying, because they're the ones who have to study. You, on the other hand, probably still have to learn to study, because in the past you most likely went to class, took the test, passed with flying colors, and never had to study. You may be dealing with that, "Holy crap, I don't know how to learn this," feeling for the first time in your life. That's okay. The rewards of actually learning new things at school are worth it.

Oh, and with proofs, try working from the end to the beginning when you can't seem to figure out where to start. And if you can't do that, write down ideas that seem like they may be useful even before you know where they'll fit in; then put them together.

From one gifted kid to another, though: Don't listen to what people say to you about being gifted, because most of it is pretty crap. What you've got is a talent; your brain is specialized to do something particularly well. Enjoy it. Have fun with it. Don't be ashamed of it, but at the same time remember that people's value is not determined by their abilities, and you're just as valuable (but no more so) than that kid who's got dyscalculia so bad they haven't figured out addition yet. Unfortunately, sometimes other people will think you automatically want to use your talent to make them feel worthless. You don't, but they think it anyway. That's the way things go.

Do you like coffee? I find it helps me concentrate. Caffeine in general. Tea. Whatever works.

Concentrating on things is a skill like any other... honestly, you may just need practice doing it. And it'll be easier once you get the hang of doing proofs. I remember when I was learning them, I struggled for a couple of weeks and then suddenly figured it out. Unfortunately, there's no substitute for practice.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 01 Jul 2015, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

Rudin wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Rudin wrote:
university level

Yes that is correct. I take university courses though but I am technically in 6th grade.

Wow. I'm impressed. 8O

I could barely manage to do my own, age-appropriate schoolwork when I was 12. You must be really smart. (Not being sarcastic, by the way. Just thought I'd clear that up.)

Anyways, in terms of how to concentrate, what I do is I just don't acknowledge my off-topic thoughts, and I keep telling myself "Hannah, you need to concentrate. Right now is not the time to be thinking about other things." It takes a lot of energy to keep re-focusing my attention, but that's the only method I know of right now.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 11:53 pm

I'm dyscalculic and could barely get through Algebra without failing.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2015, 2:30 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I'm dyscalculic and could barely get through Algebra without failing.
I only passed Algebra 1 because the teacher curved my grade. I never learned the idea of separating problems into two sides & blending em back into one thou I did OK in preAlgebra.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AtlasOwl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2015, 9:45 am

Rudin wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Rudin wrote:
university level

I'm really jealous right now. I'm studying my first advanced math subject at university (and I'm 25, not 12), and I'm struggling to keep up with all the new symbols and everything :?

Anyway, with concentration (of which I tend to have very little at times) I find it a lot easier to write down any distractions or unrelated things that I think about, so I know that I can come back to them later. Then I just make time to do those things so that they're done and out of the way. Of course this depends on what it is that's distracting you, but it works pretty well for me.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:39 am

AtlasOwl wrote:
Rudin wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Rudin wrote:
university level

I'm really jealous right now. I'm studying my first advanced math subject at university (and I'm 25, not 12), and I'm struggling to keep up with all the new symbols and everything :?

Anyway, with concentration (of which I tend to have very little at times) I find it a lot easier to write down any distractions or unrelated things that I think about, so I know that I can come back to them later. Then I just make time to do those things so that they're done and out of the way. Of course this depends on what it is that's distracting you, but it works pretty well for me.

What course?

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

AtlasOwl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2015, 11:23 am

I'm doing a degree in Computer Science.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

I'm honestly just jealous because somebody let this kid jump ahead and do something interesting instead of staying with his classmates. Yeah, it's cool to get experience with social skills and all, but not at the expense of building your talents! I was held back constantly and I only got out of high school at 16 because I weaseled my way out of taking 8th grade. Only now in college am I getting work that challenges me, and it's a problem because through my childhood I didn't need to learn how to study--so now I don't really know how. Let alone that I'm 32 and older than most college students because I simply wasn't ready to live on my own when I moved out, and wouldn't have been ready at 18 either. But my family was abusive, so it was better than nothing...

If we could consistently get work that was just challenging enough, whether that's "behind" or "ahead" of our classmates, that would be great. But they worship the idea of people doing sixth-grade work in sixth grade, and so on... and so we're either overwhelmed or bored or both simultaneously.

Seems to me that gifted and special-needs/learning-disabled kids have that in common, having to make do with an education that doesn't fit. We should really talk to each other more. And then there are people who are in both groups at once (like, y'know, most gifted autistics and autistics with specific learning disabilities), who really need special ed and gifted/talented and the school system tries to push them into one or the other as though you couldn't have talents and disabilities at once. Of course you can. I do. The OP probably does, seeing as he's posting on an autism forum.

*sigh* Well then. Enough b*tching about the school system. Anybody else have concentration tips for (I'm assuming) doing geometry proofs?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:09 pm

If you took a math break for a while, I might suspect part of it is what you suggest: just being out of practice. It could take a bit for the math-concentration neurons to reassert themselves.

Over the last year or so I have been reading materials that are written at a lower level than I am accustomed to. This morning I started a more challenging book, and was aghast at having to re-read some of the more complex sentances. Thankfully, after a few hours my comprehension returned to normal.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Callista wrote:
I'm honestly just jealous because somebody let this kid jump ahead and do something interesting instead of staying with his classmates. Yeah, it's cool to get experience with social skills and all, but not at the expense of building your talents! I was held back constantly and I only got out of high school at 16 because I weaseled my way out of taking 8th grade. Only now in college am I getting work that challenges me, and it's a problem because through my childhood I didn't need to learn how to study--so now I don't really know how. Let alone that I'm 32 and older than most college students because I simply wasn't ready to live on my own when I moved out, and wouldn't have been ready at 18 either. But my family was abusive, so it was better than nothing...

If we could consistently get work that was just challenging enough, whether that's "behind" or "ahead" of our classmates, that would be great. But they worship the idea of people doing sixth-grade work in sixth grade, and so on... and so we're either overwhelmed or bored or both simultaneously.

Seems to me that gifted and special-needs/learning-disabled kids have that in common, having to make do with an education that doesn't fit. We should really talk to each other more. And then there are people who are in both groups at once (like, y'know, most gifted autistics and autistics with specific learning disabilities), who really need special ed and gifted/talented and the school system tries to push them into one or the other as though you couldn't have talents and disabilities at once. Of course you can. I do. The OP probably does, seeing as he's posting on an autism forum.

*sigh* Well then. Enough b*tching about the school system. Anybody else have concentration tips for (I'm assuming) doing geometry proofs?

Oh no. No one ever let me go to university I sort of arranged it myself.

I arranged meetings with various professors and I had to do questions and stuff. Prior to that I was completely self-educated in terms of math I used a ~800 page pdf from UK to learn high school math and then I learned calculus from the Princeton University lecture videos.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

williamjay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2015, 11:59 am

I have real problems concentrating...I can barely get past page one of a book unless I'm totally obsessed with it. :(