Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

williamjay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2015, 11:59 am

I have real problems concentrating...I can barely get past page one of a book unless I'm totally obsessed with it. :(

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 5:06 pm

Rudin wrote:
I love mathematics and I am at a university level which means I am expected to prove things but I seem to not be able to concentrate.

When I'm trying to prove something it feels like I can't think at all and my brain won't relax when I'm trying to think of a proof I'll be interrupted by my brain firing and I'll get sidetracked. I just feel I can't think deeper and it's pissing me off. I took a slight break from math until now so it could be that, please help while I try to concentrate to prove a theorem about analytic functions.

What do you think may help?

Hey Rudin, did this problem resolve for you? :)

curtainsoftime
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2015, 6:02 pm

Rudin wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Rudin wrote:
university level

I thought you were in 6th grade and 12 though 8O

Yes that is correct. I take university courses though but I am technically in 6th grade.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. I mean you're in sixth grade but you're taking college classes. That's impressive. If you have trouble concentrating I would definitely just say relax for a little bit. Maybe listen to some music for a while.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

the expectation might be a hindrance, because when you're expected to do something there is the option of failure, whereas if no one expects you to do it at all failure is irrelevant.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 9:33 pm

seaweed wrote:
the expectation might be a hindrance, because when you're expected to do something there is the option of failure, whereas if no one expects you to do it at all failure is irrelevant.

most gifted humans develop a very powerful "Inner Critic" and they often place far more pressure on themselves than others do.
all of my friends are geniuses and all of them exhibit this unfortunate proclivity
having drive is one thing but often it escalates to major stress

people rarely think so, but being gifted can turn out to be a difficult path

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 9:47 pm

seaweed wrote:

I do this programming/working all the time. When I started drinking tea regularly it more or less dissipated. I still perceive pressure in work groups but I guess it's the association that stems the usual anxiety. Concentration sort of became another means of forgetting about all the scrutiny. I got stuck in grade level maths also - found out later I'm WAY better at trig than calc. I'm also sharply inclined towards applied math in general, formal language makes more sense to me in its' own right having spent several years pondering friends' physics assignments.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: