Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm

I started with CodeAcademy and the text based teachings were getting me stuck and discouraged so I stepped away from it for a few weeks. I'm using Kahn Academy for Java which is a lot easier to understand having someone talk you through it and it's even cute showing how to make animations and shapes vs. IMO what seemed like jargon on code academy.

Thenewboston has videos that explain Python well and I even downloaded Python to my computer.

A previous post of mine some people didn't like HTML 5 CSS stuff but I've learned that 100% and onto another language. I've moved onto Java and Python but which to do or finish first or what other one to do? I'm torn. Java is about animations and I'm a Pixar lover through and through. Yet just the name Python sounds bad ass and I love how (yes simple to start off). but writing old math in new ways == and ** for powers or Boleen Algebra uh? Call me crazy but I like this new form of math and ways of teaching math vs. the same old of grade school bore.

Also Rubies are pretty. :-)

Yet as a gamer I hear about something called C and C++ But I think outside of the indie scene we've moved beyond Mario Bros. Learn to make the latest GTA ultra 3D graphics or you'll be WAY behind the times IMO.

A key question to ask myself is what do I want from learning this?

A job perhaps in IT. (That's what I'm planning to return to college for.)

Take note I have Asperger's and HIGH anxiety so the key if at all possible is try to not be around people as much. A 20 person party I have a meltdown and it's mostly the "interaction" part I can do theme parks and Black Friday fine "interacting" NOPE.

So what do I learn where do I let this take me. Do I cram it all and hope for the best lol. Hope to return to school in August possible not sure. Thanks WP.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:04 pm

I'm glad to learn that your studies are going well.

I have often been told to "Begin With The End In Mind", so I wonder if it is possible to research the IT job markets, find a job that 1) you like, and 2) has good projected future openings. The technical skills needed for those jobs could guide where to focus studies now.

From a future income perspective, I might give special consideration to the future job openings forecast, and in particular to those jobs that may have greater work-from-home options.

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2015, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Thenewboston has videos that explain Python well and I even downloaded Python to my computer.

A previous post of mine some people didn't like HTML 5 CSS stuff but I've learned that 100% and onto another language. I've moved onto Java and Python but which to do or finish first or what other one to do? I'm torn. Java is about animations and I'm a Pixar lover through and through. Yet just the name Python sounds bad ass and I love how (yes simple to start off). but writing old math in new ways == and ** for powers or Boleen Algebra uh? Call me crazy but I like this new form of math and ways of teaching math vs. the same old of grade school bore.

Write something that's small and interesting where you can get quick feedback. The "right language" should fall out of the outcome of those tiny projects.

Quote:
Yet as a gamer I hear about something called C and C++ But I think outside of the indie scene we've moved beyond Mario Bros. Learn to make the latest GTA ultra 3D graphics or you'll be WAY behind the times IMO.

If graphics programming interests you, find something interesting that's easy to get into. Blender is good like that because of the quick 3D results you can get from scripting in Python. Personally, I have had a lot of fun making my own Tetris and Pong knockoffs mainly because I didn't worry about being "way behind the times".

Quote:

Take note I have Asperger's and HIGH anxiety so the key if at all possible is try to not be around people as much. A 20 person party I have a meltdown and it's mostly the "interaction" part I can do theme parks and Black Friday fine "interacting" NOPE.

I, too, am hopeful for an IT job that works well for people with Asperger's and an anxiety disorder. So long as you do your part to do stuff you enjoy and meshes with your skill level, you should have no problem finding that job. I believe in you.

jadw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2015, 7:28 am

For 3d games, you can try 'Unity'. I used it once a long time ago and think it was free.

This is all there ever was all along...

When the fog clears and the clouds disappear
We will see with clarity, this is what remains here
You are all that I have now, you are all that I miss
Since when did we need more to life than this?

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2015, 5:59 pm

The most important part of learning to code is learning "procedural thinking". Even in object-oriented programming you need to think through all the steps and processes your application needs to be able to perform.

Languages can be learned with little difficulty if you have the thinking down, it's mostly syntax differences.

MoHaG
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2015, 4:27 pm

I agree with Tori0326. Figuring out how to get a computer to do what you want is the main skill. (I think that I mainly approach it by increasingly detailed steps to get to a solution - starting with a high-level overview of the process and expanding it until I have the code implemented).

I would recommend finding a problem that you find interesting and to start writing a program to help solve it. I would recommend starting simple - I started (in primary school) drawing pictures on the screen by printing characters (This was in the middle '90s) and then extending it to move... It works even better if you have an existing problem that can be automated using code or to try and implement something you already did another way (like using a spreadsheet) in a program. (Recently using an Arduino or similar system to solve a problem, like say, controlling the temperature of water also seems like a good start, the constraints and style do differ from a conventional program however)

(On the web stuff, HTML5 (at least without JavaScript) isn't really programming, it is a useful skill however... In many languages adding a GUI to a non-GUI application is easier than figuring out a new GUI toolkit.) (I do think it is a good start and it might allow you to start programming adding JavaScript (I would recommend move to a more conventional language if you consider making a career of programming))

If you consider programming for a living, it is important to practise a bit first, at least ensuring that you don't hate it

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

Yes, I think starting-out with HTML and CSS was the perfect thing, to do----I agree, that it's not like "real" programming, but it was a way to get your feet wet, and let you know you wanted to continue-on.

As for graphics: Java is a good choice----AND, Python----BUT, I wouldn't NOT learn C++, because the more versatile you are, the better-off you are, when it comes time to look for a job----and the higher chance you have of LANDING a job (you might not be able to get into the graphics field, right-away).

I don't think you mentioned if you know JavaScript? If you DO, the next step up, Java, will be fairly easy. I recommend getting JBuilder6, for help with that, if you don't already have one.

I suggest doing Java, and / or Java 3D, then Python; then, when you return to school, take C++.

kagayaki
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2015, 7:31 am

I definitely agree with Marky9. I think it's useful to have a "goal" in mind. I know whenever I've set out to learn a language it's best to have at least a somewhat specific goal of what you want to accomplish in learning the language. Looking at myself as an example, I learned HTML, PHP, CSS and MySQL when i wanted to make a webpage when I was a teenager. Looking more recently, I've been working as a systems administrator for the past 3 years or so for a Windows shop. Most of what I end up needing to do is relatively mundane and repetitive. Creating people in AD, adding people to groups in AD, etc, etc.

So while my job role is not that of a programmer, there are A LOT of avenues by which I can significantly speed up the rate I can complete work by scripting/programming. My co-workers started experimenting with Powershell not long after I started working the position for various things, and once I realized what I could do with Powershell, I learned the language in a matter of a couple months. Within 5-6 months people whose source code I was looking at initially were now asking me for Powershell advice.

That being said, I probably do too much in Powershell and want to learn C#. Powershell is great for simple tasks, but I've started to realize how useful strong typing and real debugging would be when I have scripts that are over 1400 lines. But those scripts that are cumbersome to maintain mostly work, so I don't have that much leverage to sit down and learn C#.

I know you mentioned getting a job in IT, WHAT do you actually want to do? I know you mentioned being a gamer, but my intuition says it would be easier to get a job in IT more generally than specifically being a programmer, let alone a game programmer specifically. I'm not really sure of the stats for Computer Science college grads getting jobs. What other skills do you have that could be applied to IT? Do you have any experience with other OSes like Linux, Solaris or any of the other UNIXes? Are you comfortable in a command line?

That being said, don't be too inflexible with the positions to which you apply either. I have to admit I kind of fell into my current job. One of my few friends got a job for the Information Security department of an insurance company, and I was more or less hired simply based on his recommendation. No direct experience with the technologies they were using or professional experience with Information Security more generally, but it was considered somewhat of an entry level position so I took the chance. It's definitely worked out (for both myself and the team ;)), and I'm hoping to get a position with more programming requirements down the line.

Utena
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

I do iOS programming (that is making applications for the iPhone). I learned programming on Code Academy, but I know that they have issues with browser support that frustrate many people because the code will be right, but the computer tells you that it's wrong because it doesn't work on whatever browser you are using.

There are a number of tutorial resources for iOS, but they require owning an Apple computer, which not everyone has or can afford. Ray Wenderlich and Big Nerd Ranch have very good introductory programming books for iOS.

One nice thing about the Apple ecosystem is that it is consistent. The problem with web programming is that it changes between Mozilla, Safari, Chrome, etc... A program you write for one iPhone should work on all iPhones.

I also suggest doing something that works by tutorial. You don't learn to play the piano without practicing. The same goes for programming.

C and C++ are not generally the best place to start with programming. The reason so much of game programming is in those languages is because they are pretty old and that was what was available twenty years ago. They have a steep learning curve and honestly most companies don't hire for them anyway.

Most important thing to do is to not get frustrated and to find a community of people you can ask questions from. That is one reason I went back to school to learn programming. I could go to my teachers and ask for help until I learned enough to help myself.

Good luck!!

Humanoid2436
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2015, 8:22 am

Hi

I would like to change a job because I am fed up with everyday social interactions. What is paid better, programming itself or some other skills?
Bet best paid are managers unfortunately that require too much social skills to communicate with your superiors/other managers/ which usually dont know what they want and when and how so you must be good at arguing and delivering them something cause they dont know what they want but they dont let you breathe till you deliver it. ( I assume cause I never was an ICT manager).
Think I am not able to be ICT manager for a long time.
Found hanselman . com / blog /ACoderAProgrammerAHackerADeveloperAndAComputerScientistWalkIntoAVennDiagram.aspx
and begun courses code cademy . com

Also begun khanacademy . org /computing/computer-science . I am still that funny green dot...

So far I know html and sql and a very limited programming basics only (VBA, python, java, etc) from my current job as credit risk analyst. How can I find whether I am good or bad programmer?
Are there any tables where I can find how fast should I reach/make a solution? So far I achieved to make everything what I needed but I have a bad feeling that sometimes it lasted too long like a week or so behind a computer screen.
Which other courses could you recommend for a greenhorn like me?

I would like to find some job where I dont have to go everyday to a boring office full of strange people. Would like to buy a house in NZ or Australia. Did anyone struggle with the same things? :lol:

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
The most important part of learning to code is learning "procedural thinking". Even in object-oriented programming you need to think through all the steps and processes your application needs to be able to perform.

Languages can be learned with little difficulty if you have the thinking down, it's mostly syntax differences.

I agree with both of these things. Java and .NET framework is the same idea, but functions are sorted under different things. Learning HOW to program is more important than to code in a specific language.

Also there are local flavours of functionality: in VB.NET you would type:
Quote:
I = I +1

In C++ or C# you can type the same, or use a simpler expression:
Quote:
I++

Some languages have usable tricks to get the same functionality as the other:
Converting an integer value to a string can be done in all .NET languages with
Quote:
Stringvalue = Integer.ToString

In Java you can use the following trick to interpret the data as a string using "":
Quote:
Stringvalue = "" + Integervalue

Some .NET languages, while in the same family, have different statements, VB.NET would use:
Quote:
Select Case (...)

And C++ use:
Quote:
Switch Case

Both Switch and Select have the same functionality, but are named differently for some reason.

My advice would be to grab one language and try it out. C# is a good bet. Both C# and Java are now multiplatform since Microsoft has decided recently to port .NET framework to Linux (No more Mono - for you who know what that is).

There are plenty of indepth courses out there, but my suggestion is to learn the following in one language:

* How Variables work.
* Making a GUI program and presenting variables in it
* String handling / Stringbuilder
* String formating .Trim, Upper/Lower Case transform, concatenation, null values (etc)
* GUI operators (like .Visible = True, .Checked = False and similar .NET and Java stuff)
* Math with variables: Addition, Multiply, rounding off floating point values (etc)
* For...next loops / While...Wend
* Reading / Writing Variables to a file
* Error handling (Try catch, exceptions)
* Input validation (do the data fit: Example - Is the user really inputing an integer?)
* Structures, Unions, Types (building up to classes)
* Using functions, and procedures (building up to classes)
* What are classes and how do they work
* and maby using SOME language specific functions like: Convert.ToBase64String() in .NET
(for starters)

Stay away from stuff like Threading and Regular Expressions, if you enjoy coding in that language, you can learn that later on. Threadhandling (multitasking) is a bit complex for a newbie and there are at least 2 flavours of Regular Expressions to learn and you do not need to learn both at the same time as a beginner.

After you complete that first block, decide what you want to do. Do you want to learn to store data in a database? (SQL) Do you want to write your own standalone software? (C#, VB.NET, Java) Do you want to do web stuff? (Javascript,ASP.NET, JSP, PHP). Do you want to write simple scripts? (Python, Shellscripts) Implement functions for software? (Ruby on rails) Write code for games? (LUAscript)

Each language has its own advantages, there is no one language that "does it all". You cannot do C# / Java stuff in Haskell (or vice versa) and live to tell about it.

Stuff like SQL, CSS, HTML and such generic stuff that can be used in most languages are essential regardless and can be used in any language.

As i said, pick one language and give it a whirl, but before you dig deep into a language and become an expert, first you have to decide what you want to do with your life. And also you get to answer a question for yourself: "Do i really want to become a programmer at all?"

If its not fun, i suggest find something else. You will not make much money as a mediocre programmer.

/Ichinin
Coding since Vic 20.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

I think it best to learn from the highest level (least complex/more visual) programming language. Low level being machine code or a bit in between like assembly.

These are the languages i learnt in chronological order (ones in bold mean I have knowledge extending beyond basic understanding, not bold would be needing improvement on):

- Visual Basic / VB.net / Visual Studio
- Java
- JavaScript
- HTML w/ CSS
- C++
- Python

I don't really do much programming anymore, either lack of motivation or just no point in doing it with no relevant qualifications.
Object-oriented languages suit my area of understanding more than the others, however if i just program blindly, chances are I will just lose myself and wonder what i'm doing.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
Object-oriented languages suit my area of understanding more than the others, however if i just program blindly, chances are I will just lose myself and wonder what i'm doing.

Why? Thats a good way to learn... -"hey, whats this feature? Cool, i can combine that with this and get something nice".

Also if you have interests that coincide with programming it helps: in the late 90's, a guy i used to know gave me a hint on a book on cryptography, i ended up coding for hours and hours... i learned a lot about binary rotation, frequency analysis, DH key exchange, logical operators, substitution/permutation, authentication (etc). Lots of fun!

Also been doing quite a few mods for games (which requires programming) and game tools to help out other players as well as myself. I also took part of an effort to create a server emulator for a MMORPG, which involved capturing network traffic and parsing certain pieces of data, that was a fun project.

Hochopepa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 7:55 am

I started off with HTML & CSS too, and then started picking up PHP and a little bit of Javascript. What motivated me to work with this mostly was that I could create something visual. Not just a commandline app, but actually a working blog, profile site or whatever.

At one point I was even working on a portal for people with autism in my area. This project, however, just randomly died. After that I got an internship at a webdevelopment company, which was a blast!! But after a few months I had to quit there due to anxiety issues (a lot of things were happening in my life aside from that too). Now I'm in a situation where I don't know if I'll ever get back to work as a programmer, but I did start learning Java as a hobby.

I know it's scary to pick a programming language, but just know that if you have the basics down for one of them, you can move onto another pretty well. I'd suggest to start off with PHP or Javascript to implement and combine with your existing HTML and CSS knowledge.

Good luck :)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I started with CodeAcademy and the text based teachings were getting me stuck and discouraged so I stepped away from it for a few weeks. I'm using Kahn Academy for Java which is a lot easier to understand having someone talk you through it and it's even cute showing how to make animations and shapes vs. IMO what seemed like jargon on code academy.

Also Rubies are pretty. :-)

So what do I learn where do I let this take me. Do I cram it all and hope for the best lol. Hope to return to school in August possible not sure. Thanks WP.

You helped me.
Thank you. :D

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 3:06 pm

Are there colleges/universities or online study providers in the UK who offer programming courses? And do you need to be of a creative mind to thrive in such a sector?

After scoring well on a university's programming aptitude test and reading how many people on the spectrum prosper in this field, my interest in this area has grown.