Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

Grebels wrote:
Thanks for that Campin_Cat.

You're quite welcome!

Grebels wrote:
We once had a preacher come and tell us about one of those stupid moments in his life. It must have taken guts to confess being that stupid. He read in The Bible that Jesus said if anyone had faith as much as a tiny mustard seed the could say unto this mountain be moved and it would move. So he went up to this particular mountain and commanded it to move. Don't be surprised it didn't move. In some desperation he prayed and got his answer. It didn't suit God's purposes to have that mountain move. After all why not have ten mustard seeds and move the whole Appalachians.

LOLOL I AGREE----that really took GUTS, to tell that story! The BEST part is, IMO, that he felt he got his answer!

Jesus said he spoke to his disciples in parables and I suppose this was such. So we aren't always told what were parables , but can get the point, if we really want to know. This brings me to the point of being in agreement with Campin_Cat saying our prayer can be asking for what God wants. It is about knowing God's heart.

Yes, again, I'm always comparing our Heavenly Father, to an "earthly father", cuz that helps me put things in so much simpler terms, and then I feel I understand it, better. I feel Jesus' use of parables is similar to an earthly father saying, something like: "Think about what you're doing, son (or daughter)..... Do you really think the situation warrants such extreme actions?"; and then, the son is made to stop and think-over his reaction; and, hopefully, come to a better conclusion. The father (maybe of an OLDER son) doesn't tell him, OUTRIGHT, not to do something, because then the son would probably say something like: "Why won't you let me figure things out, for MYSELF?"; so, the father says something that makes the son, stop and think for himself. Just giving a person "thee answer", is not always a gift, IMO----it's, to ME, like giving an older child money, and not making him get a job----he appreciates it, MORE, then, if he's made to do it, on-his-own----AND, remembers the lesson, longer, as WELL!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I'm an atheist, but I actually believe prayer can positive effects on those to which the prayers are directed, for the same reason positive thoughts can be beneficial.

Well said, my friend!!

I think it's almost always best, to keep an open mind.....

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 2:22 pm

Well, almost all of these replies seem to have shot down the OP title.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 2:45 pm

I know it since elementary school times.

When I was a kid my grandma told me that if I pray and think of a wish the wish will come true.

I didn't want to bother God with the impossible (as the ability to fly) or something that depended on me (getting good grades at school) so I chose an easy wish: "God, please. Let me fall asleep faster tonight." because I always had trouble falling asleep and I was tired of spending hours in dark room listening to clock ticking every night.

But it never worked.

So I stopped believing in God.

:roll:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:11 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

Soooo..... Where's YOUR two cents----cuz I KNOW you ain't shy!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I know it since elementary school times.

When I was a kid my grandma told me that if I pray and think of a wish the wish will come true.

I didn't want to bother God with the impossible (as the ability to fly) or something that depended on me (getting good grades at school) so I chose an easy wish: "God, please. Let me fall asleep faster tonight." because I always had trouble falling asleep and I was tired of spending hours in dark room listening to clock ticking every night.

But it never worked.

So I stopped believing in God.

:roll:

Surely, as an adult now, you can see how your WORRYING about getting to sleep, was actually what kept you awake?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:32 pm

I think active praying has personal benefits similar to regular meditation.

For me the video describes a rote style of praying, without higher level thought, which as I understand it, is passive prayer. Similar to people who arrive for mass every Sunday, but don't actively live a Christian life.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Soooo..... Where's YOUR two cents----cuz I KNOW you ain't shy!!

Hehe. Prayer is cool. Even an atheist/agnostic friend of mine agrees. Now, if he can agree, doesn't that seem to prove it?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2015, 3:52 pm

Prayer doesn't "work", but it provides some people with peace of mind.

It shouldn't be used in lieu of actually finding a solution (e.g. if your child is very sick), but some problems don't really have solutions - no harm turning to prayer then.

Edward_Palamar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

That is a cynical video produced by thoughtless cynics.

your ultimate, penultimate authority.

the sign of the Son of Man in Heaven (Matt. 24:30)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

Amity wrote:
I think active praying has personal benefits similar to regular meditation.

For me the video describes a rote style of praying, without higher level thought, which as I understand it, is passive prayer. Similar to people who arrive for mass every Sunday, but don't actively live a Christian life.

That's what I call the difference between being a believer, and a follower. I don't feel someone HAS TO go to church, to be a follower----cuz *I* don't go to church, MYSELF, but I'm an avid follower.

I think, sometimes, people are put-off by religion, either because they don't feel free to think how / what they want----and / or, they see these so-called "religious people", NOT doing what they "preach"; and, they think, to themselves: "Why would I want to belong to a group of people, where everybody's such a bunch of LIARS and HYPOCRITES?"

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:33 pm

Campin_Cat, my father had a similar disdain for organized religion, thanks to the "Liars and Hypocrites." While he didn't consider himself a Christian, he was a firm believer in God. He used to refer to himself as a "Godian"

Oscar Meyer Lansky

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm

8) Brilliant video, AspieOtaku....thanks.

I think just to know that another cares for you, as auntblabby wrote, means so much. It is a reassurance, a validation, that gives a real mental boost of confidence. Imagine, for instance, you are to be interviewed for a critically important position you need/want. To have someone pray it goes well means they are endorsing you with their confidence. Likely your interview will then go better; that confidence projects!

Prayer is a form of meditation which is a means of self-hypnosis. The benefits of which are well-established.

So while I am not religious, nor do I believe in divine miracles (re: Susie in the cool video), I actually can see how prayer could be beneficial. Although not for the same subjective reasons as a conventional bible-believing church-goer might think.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Prayer doesn't "work", but it provides some people with peace of mind.

It shouldn't be used in lieu of actually finding a solution (e.g. if your child is very sick), but some problems don't really have solutions - no harm turning to prayer then.

Yeah, that's a good point. At times when there is no real solution, per se, supportive reassurance can mean a lot. Even simply acknowledgement of the troubling issue. In a sense, isn't this what a good friend does?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 6:26 pm

For me, I tend to get confused when people talk about prayer. As an example, my mother-in-law might say, “I’ll say a prayer for Bob (who is sick)”. What exactly does she mean? Is she thinking: “I hope Bob gets better”? Or, does she really believe that the act of praying will help Bob get better? And what happens if the prayer doesn’t work? Does that discourage her from praying in the future?

I guess, ultimately, I don’t understand it. I could ask. But, I suspect it would be considered rude. So, I don’t.

With all that being said, I think those who pray, get a positive benefit from doing so. And, I think a subset of those who pray, also get a positive benefit from telling others what they pray about. And, I suppose that make them feel better. Which I guess is a good thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 6:29 pm

prayers=petitions