Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:52 am

Hyperborean wrote:
I think it's socially acceptable and very much a man thing. Men tend to be proud of their cars, so if someone takes a polite interest they'll be flattered and welcome the chance to talk about it.

On balance it's probably safer to ask, assuming the owner is there. If you were hanging around someone's car in a car park at night and he came back and found you, he might think you were about to steal or vandalise it. People can be quite suspicious these days, so bear that in mind.

Yes, it's usually a guy thing but girls can do it too. I'm a girl and I've complimented people on their cars before and asked to have a look at the motor and then stood there and talked cars for a few minutes. They don't expect it from a lady, but it happens sometimes. It used to happen to me when I drove my pro-stock Mustang.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:27 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:
I think it's socially acceptable and very much a man thing. Men tend to be proud of their cars, so if someone takes a polite interest they'll be flattered and welcome the chance to talk about it.

On balance it's probably safer to ask, assuming the owner is there. If you were hanging around someone's car in a car park at night and he came back and found you, he might think you were about to steal or vandalise it. People can be quite suspicious these days, so bear that in mind.

Yes, it's usually a guy thing but girls can do it too. I'm a girl and I've complimented people on their cars before and asked to have a look at the motor and then stood there and talked cars for a few minutes. They don't expect it from a lady, but it happens sometimes. It used to happen to me when I drove my pro-stock Mustang.

Wow Olive! Actually I can visualise you in a Mustang. I bet you were the terror of the neighbourhood. :lol:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:39 am

Hyperborean wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:

Wow Olive! Actually I can visualise you in a Mustang. I bet you were the terror of the neighbourhood. :lol:

Mustang Olly! You better slow that Mustang down.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:

Me too and while I don't know as much as I should about cars, I do love them and had I the time and money (mainly the money...) I was going to restore my '73 VW Bug. I owned that car in more than just paperwork, I put him together and knew all his tricks :heart:
I would really love, after the kids are grown and gone, to get an old Corvette to restore.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

Hyperborean wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:

It was a 79, so it was that new body style but it had a 302 which I modified and I could run a quarter in the low 9's. I bored it .60 over and put 351 Windsor heads on it, and a Holley 465. Rear end and tranny as well. It didn't look any different except for the chrome rims and it loped very nicely sitting there, and I did have 60's on the back but you really wouldn't guess the power from looking at it. The loping was what usually called people's attention to it and made them ask to look under the hood.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:46 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
It was a 79, so it was that new body style but it had a 302 which I modified and I could run a quarter in the low 9's. I bored it .60 over and put 351 Windsor heads on it, and a Holley 465. Rear end and tranny as well. It didn't look any different except for the chrome rims and it loped very nicely sitting there, and I did have 60's on the back but you really wouldn't guess the power from looking at it. The loping was what usually called people's attention to it and made them ask to look under the hood.

So, you put back what Ford had removed in the late 1970s. I am glad somebody did.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

When my Dad used to drive a 1953 Morris Oxford, people came up and asked him about it all the time.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2015, 1:02 pm

The only thing I might have done differently would be not to approach a stranger at night.