Do you find love when you stop looking? Why?

Page 4 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 1:55 pm

The first girlfriend I had (age 21), I got because I actually started looking, and started ignoring all that stuff on how "it will happen when you least expect it". The social intuition of most aspies is so crippled that we need to mechanically learn how to flirt, need to seek out women, and need to make a lot of mistakes along the way.

HeatherWB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

I totally get where you're coming from. I've been divorced for nearly 1.5 years and I have yet to be asked out on a date. I've gotten a lot more socially active, my confidence has grown, and I'm otherwise feeling pretty decent about myself. I believe that I have a lot of positive things to offer somebody.

NT guys just aren't interested for whatever reason and Aspie guys tend to get scared and run.

There's a part of me that wishes I could turn off my desire to have a special man in my life. At least it would save me from disappointment and/or heartbreak when things do y work out with a guy I'm interested in. No expectations, no disappointments.

I've got a good many girlfriends, but with busy schedules, we don't have a lot of time to get together.

I've nearly gotten to the point of "Why bother?" when it comes to social activities.

"No expectations, no disappointments" may very well become my new mantra.

Just had to vent.

Outrider wrote:
I've just realized...after talking about it with friends.

I HAVEN'T been looking for a relationship this entire time.

I was talking about it all with my friend Sarah.

I said to her when you really think about it, I don't come across as someone desperate for a relationship, I don't even come across as someone seeking a relationship at all. And she agreed.

I asked her what her honest opinion of me was and how she thinks I come across to others. She said all these wonderful things that I agree with, not just to boost my ego but she was being genuine and honest. Confident, funny, calm, friendly, etc. Very confident she said. She said to her I come across as 'in the zone', as in completely self-confident and happy with who he is, etc. Not insecure or low self-esteem or any of that.

The thing is, even if inside I want a relationship badly, I do not come across this way to others.

That's what they say.

"Stop looking for love and you will find it. Just focus on your own life. Be happy, healthy, confident person, and others will be attracted to you." etc. well I HAVE been this, I've been this all year.

No girls have liked me or been attracted to me.

I've actually been much more social and confident this year.

I seem to attract plenty of people but not in a romantic way but only friends way.

People are drawn to me. I have much more friends and aqcuaintances. Plenty of people think I'm a nice person, funny, etc. etc. etc.

Not trying to sound arrogant but this is what people actually think of me.

I'm not too annoying or weird or stupid and I'm not bullied or anything like other aspies are sometimes.

I'd even say I feel mildly popular at just how much and what kind of attention I get.

But it has all come to NOTHING.

Like I was saying earlier in this thread, there is no point being the social confident NT person because even they can't get relationships.

Well, after talking with friends I realized this WAS me and this IS me right now.

I mean, seriously. I asked Sarah what she thought of me, had great things to say. Ask a random dude in my maths class what he thinks of me, 'f*cking talented! :) It's crazy you can write with two hands, etc.' (I'm a trained ambi-dextrous), ask this nice female acquaintance, has nice things to say about me, ask a male classmate from English, has good things to say about me, etc.

But I havent been looking for love this year. All I ever did was went on 3 dates with this girl I liked but she only wanted to be friends. I also had a crush on this one girl and talked to her a bit but it was just talking, normal talking. And I did ask Sarah about some of her cute friends, but that's literally it...

What else do I have to do????

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 12:49 am

HeatherWB wrote:
I totally get where you're coming from. I've been divorced for nearly 1.5 years and I have yet to be asked out on a date. I've gotten a lot more socially active, my confidence has grown, and I'm otherwise feeling pretty decent about myself. I believe that I have a lot of positive things to offer somebody.

NT guys just aren't interested for whatever reason and Aspie guys tend to get scared and run.

There's a part of me that wishes I could turn off my desire to have a special man in my life. At least it would save me from disappointment and/or heartbreak when things do y work out with a guy I'm interested in. No expectations, no disappointments.

I've got a good many girlfriends, but with busy schedules, we don't have a lot of time to get together.

I've nearly gotten to the point of "Why bother?" when it comes to social activities.

Just had to vent.

Outrider wrote:

I said to her when you really think about it, I don't come across as someone desperate for a relationship, I don't even come across as someone seeking a relationship at all. And she agreed.

I asked her what her honest opinion of me was and how she thinks I come across to others. She said all these wonderful things that I agree with, not just to boost my ego but she was being genuine and honest. Confident, funny, calm, friendly, etc. Very confident she said. She said to her I come across as 'in the zone', as in completely self-confident and happy with who he is, etc. Not insecure or low self-esteem or any of that.

The thing is, even if inside I want a relationship badly, I do not come across this way to others.

That's what they say.

"Stop looking for love and you will find it. Just focus on your own life. Be happy, healthy, confident person, and others will be attracted to you." etc. well I HAVE been this, I've been this all year.

I seem to attract plenty of people but not in a romantic way but only friends way.

People are drawn to me. I have much more friends and aqcuaintances. Plenty of people think I'm a nice person, funny, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not too annoying or weird or stupid and I'm not bullied or anything like other aspies are sometimes.

I'd even say I feel mildly popular at just how much and what kind of attention I get.

Like I was saying earlier in this thread, there is no point being the social confident NT person because even they can't get relationships.

Well, after talking with friends I realized this WAS me and this IS me right now.

I mean, seriously. I asked Sarah what she thought of me, had great things to say. Ask a random dude in my maths class what he thinks of me, 'f*cking talented! :) It's crazy you can write with two hands, etc.' (I'm a trained ambi-dextrous), ask this nice female acquaintance, has nice things to say about me, ask a male classmate from English, has good things to say about me, etc.

But I havent been looking for love this year. All I ever did was went on 3 dates with this girl I liked but she only wanted to be friends. I also had a crush on this one girl and talked to her a bit but it was just talking, normal talking. And I did ask Sarah about some of her cute friends, but that's literally it...

That plus I think sometimes when you ARE confident, social happy etc. you actually come across as INTIMIDATING to others, which just has the opposite effect of what you want.

Anyway I have an update. There is a new girl I have a crush on and to be honest we're only friends right now but things aren't going too bad. And this happened when I stopped looking and just decided to be natural.

But, that's actually a complete lie and the truth is I am only TRYING and PRETENDING to make it all look natural, effortless, etc. like it's just happening when truth is no I am putting in maximum effort...

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 3:01 am

HeatherWB wrote:

Just had to vent.

Outrider wrote:

That's what they say.

why do they get scared and run?

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:32 am

This video right here sums it up a lot of the pain guys have when it comes to dating and relationships:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SlnIVDFso

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:04 am

HeatherWB wrote:

I wish that too. :(

HeatherWB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2015, 9:02 am

sly279 wrote:
HeatherWB wrote:

Just had to vent.

Outrider wrote:

That's what they say.

why do they get scared and run?

Since they (both Aspie and NT men) don't generally like to talk about that kind of stuff, I can only theorize why they might act the way they do. I believe that it may be a combination of intense chemistry and disbelief that somebody could actually be attracted to them, after having experienced a lot of rejection from women. It could be intimidation or just not feeling good enough for someone like me. Maybe they just don't know what to do with me.

I'm headed out on a week-long cruise in a couple of days. As much as I would like to hope that things would different there, I cannot allow myself to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed. I will definitely have a good time, but I won't worry about making an effort to talk to guys.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:16 am

HeatherWB wrote:
Since they (both Aspie and NT men) don't generally like to talk about that kind of stuff, I can only theorize why they might act the way they do. I believe that it may be a combination of intense chemistry and disbelief that somebody could actually be attracted to them, after having experienced a lot of rejection from women. It could be intimidation or just not feeling good enough for someone like me. Maybe they just don't know what to do with me.

I'm headed out on a week-long cruise in a couple of days. As much as I would like to hope that things would different there, I cannot allow myself to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed. I will definitely have a good time, but I won't worry about making an effort to talk to guys.

can relate to the bolded. thats what i've had to learn to accept. most women who do show interest me are only messing with me.

whats intense chemistry.

when a woman does show interest in me I show it back I for the time being have not become cynical enough to not trust people and fall in love with them. though I trust women less then I did when i was 22. now its not as freely given and true full trust must be earned. ie they'd have to stick round at-least a few months before I lose anxiety they going leave me and don't really like me.

never been on a cruise, don't thik I ever where. but it might be a good place to meet people if its a singles cruise. what kind of cruise is it? where too? if i did go on one I think it would be the Alaskan one.

HeatherWB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2015, 7:02 am

sly279 wrote:
HeatherWB wrote:

can relate to the bolded. thats what i've had to learn to accept. most women who do show interest me are only messing with me.

whats intense chemistry.

when a woman does show interest in me I show it back I for the time being have not become cynical enough to not trust people and fall in love with them. though I trust women less then I did when i was 22. now its not as freely given and true full trust must be earned. ie they'd have to stick round at-least a few months before I lose anxiety they going leave me and don't really like me.

never been on a cruise, don't thik I ever where. but it might be a good place to meet people if its a singles cruise. what kind of cruise is it? where too? if i did go on one I think it would be the Alaskan one.

Maybe a better term for intense chemistry is intense attraction early on. Here is somebody who gets me! He/she just HAS to be the one! Generally, this accompanied by feelings of intense euphoria. When you find out that they don't feel the same way, then it's a pretty big let-down.

Cruises are definitely a good way to meet people and you don't even have to go on a special "singles" cruise to do it. People on cruises tend to be friendly overall and you'll meet all kinds of people. If you really want to go, take a look at NCL (Norwegian). Some of their ships have studio cabins and other things for single people.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:58 am

Outrider wrote:
Do you believe this advice, and why?

Maybe it depends on how your interpret it? How do you interpret it/what does it mean to you?

Yes, I do believe this advice.

Yes, it does depend on how you interpret it.

It does not mean "give up on living and accept misery."

It means, "Stop focusing your whole life on [finding love, finding a career, whatever], and just LIVE. Do the things you have to do, do the things you want to do, focus your energy on that and on finding new things that you like to do. Do this, and you will by default find people that you might mutually enjoy sharing a life with."

And, if you find one of those people, you go on living your life with them in it. One of two things will happen.

1) You will both be happy, with compromises you can both accept and be happy with. In which case, you will get married and live a life that is, on average, happy.

2) You will not both be happy, and the necessary compromises will be too much for one or both of you to happily accept. In which case, you will break up, end up realizing that you have dodged a bullet, and go back to living your own lives. You will probably meet another person in the course of so doing and repeat the cycle.

If you're living your life, two things that are ultimately good happen.

1) Whether you "find someone" or not, you are living your life. It is not devoid of good things just because it is devoid of a significant other.

2) You are not building a life in which you are unhappy and have to invest lots of energy in "not being yourself" just to "have someone."

In practice, of course, we make it more complicated than that. But I do agree with it, and that's the THEORY anyway of why.

HeatherWB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2015, 9:11 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
Outrider wrote:
Do you believe this advice, and why?

Maybe it depends on how your interpret it? How do you interpret it/what does it mean to you?

It means, "Stop focusing your whole life on [finding love, finding a career, whatever], and just LIVE. Do the things you have to do, do the things you want to do, focus your energy on that and on finding new things that you like to do. Do this, and you will by default find people that you might mutually enjoy sharing a life with."

And, if you find one of those people, you go on living your life with them in it. One of two things will happen.

1) You will both be happy, with compromises you can both accept and be happy with. In which case, you will get married and live a life that is, on average, happy.

2) You will not both be happy, and the necessary compromises will be too much for one or both of you to happily accept. In which case, you will break up, end up realizing that you have dodged a bullet, and go back to living your own lives. You will probably meet another person in the course of so doing and repeat the cycle.

If you're living your life, two things that are ultimately good happen.

1) Whether you "find someone" or not, you are living your life. It is not devoid of good things just because it is devoid of a significant other.

2) You are not building a life in which you are unhappy and have to invest lots of energy in "not being yourself" just to "have someone."

In practice, of course, we make it more complicated than that. But I do agree with it, and that's the THEORY anyway of why.

AMEN!

I know that I've been blessed in a big way, despite not currently having a man in my life or not knowing whether I will ever have another one. I've got a good job making pretty decent money for what I do, supportive family and friends, and a variety of hobbies and interests that keep my attention.

I like who I am fundementally and don't see any reason to change that just to attract a man. He needs to love me as I am.

Coming to these realizations has freed me to start thinking about what I really want moving forward. I haven't figured it all out, but I do know that I want to travel and see the world. If anybody shows up, he's going to have to share that desire, among other things. :D

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 11:08 am

314pe wrote:
HeatherWB wrote:

exactly, wish I had an emotion-chip that I could turn on and off like Data from Star Trek the Next Generation.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 6:49 pm

HeatherWB wrote:
Maybe a better term for intense chemistry is intense attraction early on. Here is somebody who gets me! He/she just HAS to be the one! Generally, this accompanied by feelings of intense euphoria. When you find out that they don't feel the same way, then it's a pretty big let-down.

Cruises are definitely a good way to meet people and you don't even have to go on a special "singles" cruise to do it. People on cruises tend to be friendly overall and you'll meet all kinds of people. If you really want to go, take a look at NCL (Norwegian). Some of their ships have studio cabins and other things for single people.

I tend to get that with women i like. never had one feel the same.

sadly only way I could take a cruise if I worked on one. Cruises are so expensive.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 6:52 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
314pe wrote:
HeatherWB wrote:

exactly, wish I had an emotion-chip that I could turn on and off like Data from Star Trek the Next Generation.

yes or the Prozium drug from the movie Equilibrium.

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2015, 1:13 am

Outrider, you sound pretty mature for a 16 year old, and a lot more socially developed than I was when I was your age. I'm 21 and I just now had both my first kiss and first girlfriend (not the same girl, but that's irrelevant) earlier this year. Let me tell you that my experience with her (first gf) was very negative and certainly nothing to be envious of. It was a hard slap in the face of things that I absolutely had to learn before I go any further in life, which I really appreciate, what it did was give me rules to go by.

The first problem is is that at your age, you do not yet have the chance to build a life for yourself that a potential girlfriend can look at and want to be a part of. You can only rely on your outward appearance, speech, etc. The dating scene among 16 year olds is more based on these raw appeal things - that, although you yourself sound OK, don't develop to a well enough standard in most AS men for at least another 5-10 years. Girls your age can not yet respond to the things that a man can do, based more upon his own agency, to make himself more attractive - and this is the make or break for any man, this largely internal and self-directed twenty-something process, but especially for the Aspie, who gets his first and only chance through it. To put it simply - girls in high school and college are going to look at the cards a guy was dealt, adult women are going to look at how he has played his cards. AS is a serious disability in many ways in the earlier years, and the institutions Aspies are subject to only reinforce this, but as one gets older, he is no longer subject to those institutions and he is going through the aging process, which naturally makes him mentally stronger. Couple that with a world that is more judging of the work he puts in, and not so much his outward appearance and mannerisms - and the reasons why an Aspie can't be successful start to drop off as he gets older.

Advice like "don't look for love, s/he'll come to you", "work on yourself first", "be yourself" is the best advice anyone can give but it usually gets shunned or misunderstood because it requires way more patience, introspection, experimentation, and hard work than most people are willing to submit to. It can take years to learn even extremely basic things, and you may have to make radical changes in your life - and I'm talking about big things, like a career change or a trip across the world - to set yourself straight. By being determined to grow, true to yourself, and having high standards - you eliminate people who will throw you off. Some people will come to you offering more specific and immediate advice, which may or may not produce results, but what they maybe doing is teaching you how to bark up the wrong tree.

The Aspie will not be OK in a relationship, and I think even a friendship, with someone who is too dissimilar from them, has differing interests and goals in life, or just expects the wrong things out of the Aspie. Every person who comes into our life leaves their imprint in us somehow, and since Aspies are naturally more submissive (at first) we'll usually take it, and not immediately think to reject toxic people and their toxic, but also highly contagious, attitudes. Like I said about my ex-gf, these people are a good lesson in what not to be and who not to be with, but you will want your time back. So be careful.

I also have to say that the failure of my first relationship was mostly my fault, and I can relate certain failures of it to specific AS tendencies that I have. Please know that AS is a very serious handicap in relationships, even if you're wildly attracted to each other and have every intention of making it work. If you still want to go chasing girls after knowing this, then fine, but there are a lot of other things that you could be doing with much better results.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:17 am

BuyerBeware wrote:

To me, that counts as looking for love. How else could you sensibly look for it?

In fact, that's what I'd have always done if I could. So advice to stop looking for love, to me, means you should refrain from trying to get the most out of life and give up on anything but wasting it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.