Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jumjummju
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2015, 3:50 am

It's hard to talk about this without swearing, as the joke is in itself a swear, but I'll try.

Anyone else utterly sick to death of the "***burgers" joke? It started with that South Park episode (that admittedly I haven't watched) which, as far as I can tell, wasn't actually even aimed at making fun of Asperger's in and of itself, but now all I ever hear from people is it being called that.

I'm not someone easily offended, and I genuinely found the joke pretty funny... the first time. But people WON'T STOP USING IT and they think they're so clever. This flippin' malapropism is making me want to tear my ears off. Anyone else completely sick of it?

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

05 Jul 2015, 5:14 am

Yes. And the usage of the term "autism" as a pejorative is also getting on my last nerve.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 5:30 am

Honestly I just find it funny. If someone insults me on my autism I'll probably laugh in their face

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 5:50 am

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:
Yes. And the usage of the term "autism" as a pejorative is also getting on my last nerve.

Yes, this is becoming common now. During the recent UK election campaign, Rupert Murdoch and the right-wing press 'accused' the Labour leader, Ed Miliband, of being autistic, as if it were a crime. This was taken up by some Conservative politicians keen to score political points. The repugnant British journalist, Katie Hopkins, regularly uses 'being on the spectrum' as an insult.

Luckily, because of pronunciation differences in the UK (we say 'arse' not 'ass'), we don't get the crude jokes about 'a**burgers' - which is in any case incorrect, since Hans Asperger's name should be pronounced as in the Austrian-German, i.e.: something like 'Aspbairger'.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:06 am

Hyperborean wrote:
pronunciation differences in the UK (we say 'arse' not 'ass')

Speak for yourself :shrug: I think that's more of a southern thing that goes with putting "r" after any "a". So "grass" is "grarse" there.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:23 am

Hyperborean wrote:
which is in any case incorrect, since Hans Asperger's name should be pronounced as in the Austrian-German, i.e.: something like 'Aspbairger'.

That would probably be (almost) ideal, except then certain people would mock you for trying to use the correct pronunciation. Not that their opinions matter.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:33 am

iliketrees wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:
pronunciation differences in the UK (we say 'arse' not 'ass')

Speak for yourself :shrug: I think that's more of a southern thing that goes with putting "r" after any "a". So "grass" is "grarse" there.

Point taken - but I don't think southerners put an 'r' after any 'a'. We say 'mass' not 'marss', 'crass', not 'crarss' and 'crab' not 'crarb' to give just a few examples. Admittedly the Queen might say 'plarstic' instead of 'plastic', but that's very rare nowadays and a bit of a stereotype.

Actually I was making a specific point about the crass (not crarss) 'a**burgers' joke, which is unique to the USA (Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans all say 'arse' too) . So do you say 'ass' where you are, not 'arse' or something similar?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:33 am

This is what they call a « fad » that will eventually be replaced by the next butt-of-the-joke that comes along some day. Also, you should embrace anything that others may try to bother you with, even going so far as to make fun of the way that they try to make fun (I have found this extremely effective against trolls).

Pejoratively call me an autistic ? Nah, you fool, I am an ultra-autistic! Try learning about actual-autism some day !

Pejoratively call me a Conspiracy-Theorist ? Nah, you fool, I am actually a « Hyper-Crazy Lunatic Tin-Foil-Hat-Wearing Nut-Job Bat-Shit Insane Mega-Deluxe Conspiracy-Theorist »™ !

Life has always been more « amusing » rather than « annoying » when you switch into the « make fun of how they make fun » mode of reacting... :wink:

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:38 am

HighLlama wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:
which is in any case incorrect, since Hans Asperger's name should be pronounced as in the Austrian-German, i.e.: something like 'Aspbairger'.

That would probably be (almost) ideal, except then certain people would mock you for trying to use the correct pronunciation. Not that their opinions matter.

Sometimes I get odd looks when I pronounce it that way, but I pronounce all foreign words with the original accent anyway, so I'm used to it. But as you say, who cares what they think.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:47 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
This is what they call a « fad » that will eventually be replaced by the next butt-of-the-joke that comes along some day. Also, you should embrace anything that others may try to bother you with, even going so far as to make fun of the way that they try to make fun (I have found this extremely effective against trolls).

Pejoratively call me an autistic ? Nah, you fool, I am an ultra-autistic! Try learning about actual-autism some day !

Pejoratively call me a Conspiracy-Theorist ? Nah, you fool, I am actually a « Hyper-Crazy Lunatic Tin-Foil-Hat-Wearing Nut-Job Bat-Shit Insane Mega-Deluxe Conspiracy-Theorist »™ !

Life has always been more « amusing » rather than « annoying » when you switch into the « make fun of how they make fun » mode of reacting... :wink:

A very wise point. Bring on the shock and autism, then :)

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:48 am

I've heard it years before south park.. I've become numb to it. I also don't really talk about it, so I don't have to deal with it as much.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:52 am

Hyperborean wrote:
So do you say 'ass' where you are, not 'arse' or something similar?

I don't know, I can't think of any time it's ever come up in conversation. I'd probably say "ass" I'd imagine. All I know is I say "grass" the way it's written, no extended a. But my accent is a huge mix so I can't speak for everyone from where I live. I used to have a very strong north-west-england accent. It's been softened from living more south than that - in the east of england. But most people from where I live aren't from around here, like I'm not either. Huge mix of accents and quite a lot of them would say "arse" since many have parents from london who have since moved away to have children.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:54 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:

Exactly. Humour is one of the most effective ways of dealing with insults and ignorance.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 8:03 am

I pronounce it the German way since Hans Asperger was Austrian and in Austria they speak German. I have never heard of the bum burger jokes just read them on line.:arrow:

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2015, 9:19 am

The whole "Assburgers" thing doesn't bother me at all, personally. The whole "stop acting like a Sperg/stop acting so autistic" thing does, though, as does calling autistic people "ret*d." (My own brother used to call me "ret*d" after I was diagnosed, and that f*****g hurt.)

Frankly, I can't wait until us neurodivergent people are accepted into the mainstream and treated kindly by the large majority of people.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

05 Jul 2015, 10:26 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:

Yes I do exactly this! Someone online said I should take the short yellow bus - I turned it on them and said "Yeah, I do have a learning disability.. What about it?". Their insult in the end was rendered absolutely useless because they couldn't shame me. Haha embracing the insult is great way to deflect insults! :D