Do you think there are different aspie physical features?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

I have noticed something that a lot of people think is controversial. But I think I have noticed that there seem to be certain "subtypes" with different physical features. For example, I have seen a lot of aspies have a body type where they have a plump look with a large midsection and short arms. I've also seen some aspies are very skinny. There are many aspies that look "normal" but I think I have noticed that a lot of aspies seem to follow one of several "subtypes".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 1:27 pm

From studies I've seen, there are no features unique to autism, but people with autism have a higher number (in percentage and also amount, sorry if that's badly worded) of dysmorphic features than the general population.

http://www.stat.missouri.edu/faculty/fl ... mun_12.PDF

Page 5 to 8 are features that have been observed

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=288441&start=15

Also I linked other things there

There is some evidence for differences in physical features though not enough to be very clear (like in Down Syndrome) and to be part of diagnosis.

Sorry if I've been vague in wording anywhere

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 1:33 pm

One should also pore over the pictures within this Forum.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 1:38 pm

I'd feel weird doing that 8O

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
I have noticed something that a lot of people think is controversial. But I think I have noticed that there seem to be certain "subtypes" with different physical features. For example, I have seen a lot of aspies have a body type where they have a plump look with a large midsection and short arms. I've also seen some aspies are very skinny. There are many aspies that look "normal" but I think I have noticed that a lot of aspies seem to follow one of several "subtypes".

The exact same is true of people who are not Aspies. It isn't that there are subtypes of Aspie physical features. It's that since autism doesn't affect physical features, people with lots of different body types will be diagnosed with it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 2:57 pm

The people who posted the pictures wouldn't mind.

They wouldn't know you were looking at their picture.

But I think it would be instructive if you did look at the pictures--so you could get an idea of what Aspies REALLY look like.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 2:44 am

I'm always skeptical about this.

Aspies don't have different physical features.

Autism is just a neurological disorder, not a physical or chromosome deficiency.

When these threads about physical features in Autism spring up, it seems that everyone has their own list of physical features which contradict all the other lists in the thread, so it's obvious that all these physical features in Autistics are made up and strongly believed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 2:55 am

I know I am skinny, but I don't know that anything about my appearance gives away I have aspergers. Except I don't always brush my hair and we can be known to be forgetful or not care about such things...for me its just painful cause it tangles easily and so I put it off and then end up not bothering. But I figure I usually just look like a skinny metalhead or hippie depending on what I am wearing moreso than someone specifically with aspergers.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 4:17 am

I do have several a-typical physical features, mainly around my skull, but i am not sure if this is due to my aspergers or simply a coincidence

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 11:18 am

I am skinny and have been my entire adult life.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had an eating disorder. As when I was a child, I was quite heavy and teased terribly about my weight.

undergrounddistrict
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2015, 11:28 am

No, i think that is is purely a neurological disorder which has no connection to physical characteristics.

And ADHD