Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 11:40 am

My brother said to me in regards to entering the working world and how people will treat me "your not imposing people will walk all over you"

Regardless of how unfair the comment is what do you think it means in more depth?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

I don't know what your brother meant. But I can give you an example. When I was working I had a co-worker who was then my employee when I was promoted to be the manager of our department. She was really smart, efficient, tall, pretty, very well dressed, and QUIET. She had just been hired when I was promoted, but she was better qualified to run the department. It was really hard for me to get her raises or a title adjustment because no one would believe that she was so smart or hardworking. Mostly because she was quiet but I think also because she was pretty.

She eventually left the company and went someplace else were she had the same problems for the first year. People seemed to either be mean to her or ignore her. Then she got a new boss and she suddenly advanced, got employees of her own, and is now doing really well.

Assertive people do advance quicker than quiet ones, but if you're good at your job, things work out in the end.

diminished57
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm

I've always started talking "over people's heads," in certain situations. Making people feel like they don't know what they're talking about, usually works better than aggressive persistence.

steelysunshine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2015, 5:24 pm

I have no idea what that means. Yes, some people do get walked on. Some of them don't have anyone to stick up for them others seem to get adopted by other people and don't get walked on as much, because they have friends. If you think someone is trying to walk all over you just ask them what they think they are doing. Usually the question is enough to make them think about what they are attempting to do, most just quit right there in my experience. Just remember harassment at work is illegal that is another thing you can remind people of if they think they are going to be a bully.