Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Have you ever tried to tell your co-workers that you have an ASD?
Never tried 77%  77%  [ 17 ]
I tried, and it made things better 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
I tried, and it made things worse 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 1:57 am

subj

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:56 am

It has made things better I suppose sometimes, but has mostly just made things better for my sense of self as I like to be open about myself. Otherwise it hasn't made things particularly better, but certainly not worse. Yeah.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2015, 3:53 am

At my currant place of work, coming out on the spectrum has mostly yielded positive results, thus I selected that choice.

With previous employers, however, not so good. One particular place tried to make me learn how to operate a forklift and I was scared sh!tless of the danm thing, so I had to open up about my disability and was pretty much treated like scum after that so I left that stinking warehouse I had worked at for nearly a decade who by the way did not have forklift certification in my job description at the time I took the position.
Another job forced me out in 2007 after I was "called on the carpet" and told there were repeated complaints from customers that I couldn't make appropriate "small talk" and wasn't making adequate eye contact. In this particular case I chose to stay mum about my ASD situation as I recalled they had psychological and mental issue questions on the original employment application that I answered "no" to fearing they would not hire me. As I had been there six years, I did get a decent severage package, though.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2015, 12:16 am

I got professionally diagnosed just recently, but I haven't told my current employer. I still don't know if I will tell my next one (I'm trying to get a new job stat). I don't know if its worth it, or if it will prevent me from obtaining a new job.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

Never have. I almost did when I got fired a couple months ago, but ultimately decided against it.