Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

Illinois teen with Asperger’s syndrome teaches bullies who beat him up a life lesson

Let's see what type of lesson these criminals actually learn if they learn one at all.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jul 2015, 11:25 pm

Completely disagree with Gavin's decision.

Where else would a gang of would-be murder's be expected to merely write an essay on why it's wrong and watch a video, and I don't see that as being rehabilitating.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 10:19 am

Good luck, kid.

I agree that pressing charges against what is, very unfortunately, kids being kids isn't a productive road. PC backed up with the force of law hasn't gotten us anywhere and never will; if you don't believe me, go down to Arkansas and talk to the locals about racial equality.

I hope your idealism survives.

I hope you do, too. These things may be mutually exclusive.

What did YOU learn????

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2015, 1:30 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I agree that pressing charges against what is, very unfortunately, kids being kids isn't a productive road.

Unfortunately it's not just kids, but some people have a fundamental problem, a disconnect where they can mistake anyone that looks even slightly different as an outsider or an enemy. That's why he was attacked for being "weird."

During our evolutionary history, we actually bred such problems out of wolves. At some point we evolved alongside wolves. The wolves that bit or attacked us were killed off, and the ones that didn't were allowed to breed and keep eating our scraps. That's basically how we ended up with dogs instead of savage wolves.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:34 am

Moromillas wrote:
Unfortunately it's not just kids, but some people have a fundamental problem, a disconnect where they can mistake anyone that looks even slightly different as an outsider or an enemy. That's why he was attacked for being "weird."

During our evolutionary history, we actually bred such problems out of wolves. At some point we evolved alongside wolves. The wolves that bit or attacked us were killed off, and the ones that didn't were allowed to breed and keep eating our scraps. That's basically how we ended up with dogs instead of savage wolves.

uhum, its in our best interest that we keep the pool of fear (for each other) alive, just in case
when the need for 'destruction of middle-class' pops up again

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm

Personally I would have pressed charges.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 10:36 am

The community service is backed up by a court order I think.

sometimes, not always, but sometimes a small positive change will lead to a big effect

A lot might depend on how good a job the judge does in accepting or not a paper written as a sincere attempt, keeping in mind that not everyone is good at writing. Maybe the judge will want to briefly talk with their English teachers and see other samples of writing. Which sounds like a lot of unnecessary work, but for a case trending nationwide might be worth. So, what I'm trying to say is that how well this works out might depend on how well the judge implements this.

AgusCahyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

I think the aspie is an idiot.

He should have pressed charged and demand death penalty against those vermin.

I lost my stuff to thieves a long time ago and I still yearn to see all those magots rot in jail.

The fact that I don't lock my door is my fault. It's an even bigger reason to have all those vermin slaughtered. If only there is something I can do legally.

Do unto others what they did to you. That's the whole morality.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 10:40 am

They didn't get taught a lesson. All this is is another example of P.C. touchy-feely nonsense. Those punks may think twice about doing something like this again, and then go right ahead and do it again. They ought to take the leader (NTs always have one ) and kick his A## from there to the farthest coast available while his minions are force to watch, then throw the book at them. :twisted:

AppleChips
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2015, 6:30 am

H should have pressed charges. Most people dont learn anything if they dont lose something.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 1:37 pm

Oh, yes, I saw this.

Just for personal safety reasons, I would have definitely pressed charges. That serves as a powerful message, too.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 7:56 am

An Aspy shows humanity and Aspies attack him?

You all suck!

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm

I can't say that I would have made the same choice, but I have both admiration and respect for his decision.

Love transcends all.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:54 am

I think some people are missing an important point here...

"Dog bites man..."
No Biggy...
Now, "Man bites dog..."
That's news!

I suggest people look at it from 2 contexts/perspectives/scenarios...

Context 1:
A personal attack...
A personal recompense...

Context 2:
A personal attack...
A global news story...
...adding some illumination to the difficulties those on the spectrum are forced to endure in an ignorant NT dominated social environment...

In the first context he would have achieve comparatively little compared to the second context...

On a personal/emotional level, I would have liked the thugs to have had gaol/jail time...
On an intellectual level, I like the idea of using the noggin to gain some benefit...

Personally speaking, I tend to feel more satisfaction when using autistic rationalism/intellectualism than neurotypical irrationalism/emotionalism...
But not always... :wink:

AgusCahyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2015, 3:21 am

And that's the problem with aspies.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up aspies. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 8:05 am

AgusCahyo wrote:
And that's the problem with aspies.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up aspies. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?

AgusCahyo wrote:
And that's the problem with jews.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up jews. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?

AgusCahyo wrote:
And that's the problem with blacks.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up blacks. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?

AgusCahyo wrote:
And that's the problem with women.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up women. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?

AgusCahyo wrote:
And that's the problem with children.

People beat them all the time that people start thinking that it's normal to beat up children. Some people can be beaten up with impunity. So why not?