Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2015, 3:01 am

Has anybody else around these parts been diagnosed with both Aspergers and bipolar? If that describes you, I want to pick your brain re your experience of the interaction of the two.

Warm regards and thanks

Nathan

dhelfrich
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2015, 9:56 am

I am currently taking meds for bipolar, and I definitely lie somewhere on the AS spectrum, but I don't quite fit the criteria.

I am really struggling with the bipolar piece right now. I feel like I go through periods of time with high energy, more motivation, better productivity. I also can think much more clearly. I become really interested in random things. I'll spend hours on Wikipedia reading about math or new technologies and get these really crazy ideas. Sometimes they turn out to be really clever and other times they are a little too far from reality. I'll even become more social, flirt with girls and sometimes even begin to develop relationships. But this is never sustainable; something always happens.

The trigger can be anything from the weather to an awkward social interaction. Sometimes there's no trigger at all. I suddenly lose all my momentum and energy. I become depressed and start to self-destruct, almost intentionally (it would seem so to someone else). I'll stop going to class for no reason, spend hours playing videogames, cut off contact from the world, stop checking my phone, neglect my hygiene. Sometimes days would go by without my eating hardly anything at all.

Now it's not always so bad. I stopped playing videogames entirely despite how much I liked them and found it really helped with my self-destructive tendencies. However, I feel like the higher I climb, the farther I fall.

This summer has been chaotic. It's actually the reason I decided to rejoin this site (forgot my account name) so I'm really glad you started this thread.

At first I was really stable and then things started to go quite well. I was much less stressed after the semester ended. I was spending my free time effectively and then I met a new female friend, lets call her Ava. After a few weeks I really felt like my life was going better than ever. Then all of a sudden I got really withdrawn. I cut off contact with everyone. Something was going on in Ava's life, so she was also somewhat disconnected and never knew anything was wrong. See when I fall down this self-destructive path, my instincts tell me not to let anyone know something's wrong. Perhaps I was deliberately preventing anyone from reaching out to me.

For the next couple weeks, I showered maybe only every three days or so. I remember going days with eating very little. I'm really into dancing and there was a big dance exchange coming up. I was really looking forward it, but I missed a lot of it and barely had a good time. I started skipping class, and kept putting off the final project, which made me more anxious, and I eventually didn't do it. I only needed three classes to graduate at the end of the summer, so this sabotage was quite calculated. This urge to hurt myself was more extreme than ever.

Now 3 years ago, this would have ended with my staying in bed until someone came to grab me. I worked hard in therapy and this time I was able to reconnect with my psychiatrist and get back on track. I was able to get an extension on the project and now I'm feeling pretty good about myself. I'm going to classes, doing my homework, and taking care of myself. My energy is higher and I'm actually interested in stuff again.

Now last night I got 2-3 hours of sleep and I feel perfectly rested. I feel awesome and I'm happy. But I'm afraid of what might come next. The better I feel, the harder I fall, right? I want to feel this way, but if I continue down this path I will self-destruct again. So does that mean I have to sabotage myself now, to prevent myself from falling? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, a problem whose only solution seems to be the problem itself. The paradox is driving me crazy, and I wish I knew what to do.

Thanks for listening to this. It feels good to write this down. I'm hoping people can relate to this pattern and possibly share their own stories.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 10:27 am

I've been diagnosed with bipolar and prescribed Risperdal for a year and a half. Later, another doctor came along, diagnosed with me with severe depression, and changed my meds to Prozac. With the amount of people always telling me to calm down, simmer down, don't talk so loud and fast, etc, maybe I really am bipolar. Anyway, I don't mind feeling hyper and full of energy. I'd rather be that than mopey and depressed anyway.

KnowledgeSeeker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2015, 11:15 am

Yes, I have both Aspergers and am bipolar. Not fun at all as someone likes to say. If you want to 'pick my brain pm me. Not taking any meds right now.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

I only know people who are one or the other. Both runs in my family but I don't have either.

I know that bipolar people often have trouble finding the right medication, but I know people who are "normal" after finding the right one and would starve rather than stop taking it. So it can work if you find the right one.

I have also noticed that people on the autism spectrum seem to be more sensitive to medication. I don't know why this is. But if a person is both bi-polar and on the spectrum, I would be a little more creative when trying to find a medication. Maybe try taking half the recommended dose if you feel wiped out, for example.

My only other comment is that I've noticed that bi-polar people and people on the spectrum tend to irritate each other. It's interesting to think of both in the same person. Maybe you'd be some kind of superperson. Or you'd irritate yourself.

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

I have both, my doctor told me they often go hand in hand, I dismissed bipolar into I learned more about it because I thought the bipolar symptoms I exhibited were just part of aspergers. Anyway, you are welcome to pick my brain.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Thanks for your responses so far everyone. It is great to know that I am not alone.

Here is my problem:

Because of my Bipolar I dwell on death a lot. I think of ways to kill myself and hurt myself, but generally have strategies that keep me from putting it into practice.

Recently I have been having a number of meltdowns. When the meltdowns coincide with thoughts of self harm or suicide I don't have the self control to stop myself from putting these thoughts into action. A few months ago I choked myself with a belt three times in the space of a few weeks and was put into a mental health unit (where I got my diagnosis).

Since I got out my wife will never let me be by myself because she is afraid I will hurt myself (she is a very caring person). She wants me to come to work with her every day (she has a very understanding boss). I can't stand being around people all the time, which is making me feel even worse. I am frustrated and agitated out of my brain! While I don't have the opportunity to hurt myself, it is making me want to hurt myself even more.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

The Risperdal I was on for a year and a half didn't help one bit. They then tried me on Celexa then Wellbutrin then Prozac. The Prozac worked especially in tandem with the Wellbutrin. This was about a year ago. My mood has been elevated but a year ago I also stopped drinking and using drugs. I've since lost weight and walk regularly. I believe the Prozac/Wellbutrin, the walking, and my new discovery of Jainism is helping my mood immensely. I haven't felt suicidal in some time. There are moments when my mood dips but I guess as long as I am busy (surfing the internet, playing computer Scrabble, etc) I'm okay.