Weirdlooking and weird vs Normallooking and weird

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 11:09 am

What do you think stands out more to NTs? Having a weird looking appearance and acting weird or a bit off(non NT) or having a normal appearance and acting weird and a bit off as well?

Let's assume weird looking is stuff like unnatural hair colors, flamboyant clothing, tattoos and piercings. Normal looking would be dressing in casual or in style clothing. I know this is an oversimplification. There's more to appearance than looking weird or normal.

I think for me looking weird and acting a bit off makes me better off. People might stare at me and think I'm weird, but it will probably because of my appearance. My slightly strange behaviors will probably be less noticeable than my appearance.

If I look normal I think I'll initially look more normal. But I think any unusual behavior will stand out more because of my boring appearance. Mainly because people try to look for stuff that makes people different. I've dealt with people asking me if I'm okay or thinking I'm a snob. They were probably wondering why such a normal looking girl like me is acting kind of off.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

I think they both stand out, one is a non verbal announcement of weirdness to others, the alternative is a difference which becomes noticed.

I look fairly normal, but I don't always behave in normal ways, and this can make me an non-stereotyped weird.

When I was younger I went through phases of unusual hair cuts/color and I think people were better able to apply an established stereotype to my appearance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:21 pm

I think it's better to hold your head high, and have confidence in yourself and your abilities--no matter if you look or act "weird."

I've known some pretty successful people who both looked and acted weird.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

I think looking normal and then acting weird is more likely to weird people out, because if you look normal then people will lower their guard and then the weirdness will do more "damage."

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:26 pm

Have a look at the curve of the uncanny valley hpothesis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

I howl at the moon sometimes.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 4:18 pm

doofy wrote:
Have a look at the curve of the uncanny valley hpothesis:

I've thought about that. I think I trigger an uncanny valley response, especially when I was trying to look as normal as possible. People often asked me if I was okay.

I guess they interpreted my slightly non-NT body language as being in a bad mood. I'm still pretty normal looking, but I dress a bit more uniquely. I haven't been asked if I'm okay in a long time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

doofy wrote:
Have a look at the curve of the uncanny valley hypothesis:

Yes that's the kind of thing. Funny how complicated they make it all sound though.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 9:40 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think looking normal and then acting weird is more likely to weird people out, because if you look normal then people will lower their guard and then the weirdness will do more "damage."

^^ +1

I'm normal-looking, but I think because I dress, so "differently" (may be construed as "weirdly"), I avoid any "trouble", then, when I ACT weirdly. I mean, c'mon----how many hippies do YOU see nowadays, with long cotton dresses, long beaded ear-rings, and hair down to their butt!?!?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 1:05 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

^^ +1

I'm normal-looking, but I think because I dress, so "differently" (may be construed as "weirdly"), I avoid any "trouble", then, when I ACT weirdly. I mean, c'mon----how many hippies do YOU see nowadays, with long cotton dresses, long beaded ear-rings, and hair down to their butt!?!?

Well, by "looking normal" I meant clothing, hairstyles etc. Me, when I see hippies I breathe a sigh of relief because hippies saved my life (socially) during my formative years. It's men (or women) in suits I don't trust as far as I can throw them.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 1:17 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

^^ +1

Well, by "looking normal" I meant clothing, hairstyles etc. Me, when I see hippies I breathe a sigh of relief because hippies saved my life (socially) during my formative years. It's men (or women) in suits I don't trust as far as I can throw them.

I agree with that, ToughDiamond, especially in the 1960s, 1970s.