Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NyxBean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

C-PTSD currently remains under the PTSD category in the DSM-5 and the ICD-10 even though it presents in certain ways which could suggest a separation.

I wanted to ask a few questions for anybody who has or knows of it:

~ How might C-PTSD appear in somebody on the spectrum, esp. Aspergers, in comparison to a neurotypical individual?
~ Has there been or do you feel there are any differences when presenting in each of the binary sexes?
~ How varied are presentations of C-PTSD in general?
~ How would an observer manage to differentiate it from BPD?

I know it is likely that people might not know or that the questions themselves are not answerable, but I'd thought I'd give it a go.

Let's simply agree to disagree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm

NyxBean wrote:
C-PTSD currently remains under the PTSD category in the DSM-5 and the ICD-10 even though it presents in certain ways which could suggest a separation.

I wanted to ask a few questions for anybody who has or knows of it:

~ How might C-PTSD appear in somebody on the spectrum, esp. Aspergers, in comparison to a neurotypical individual?
~ Has there been or do you feel there are any differences when presenting in each of the binary sexes?
~ How varied are presentations of C-PTSD in general?
~ How would an observer manage to differentiate it from BPD?

I know it is likely that people might not know or that the questions themselves are not answerable, but I'd thought I'd give it a go.

CPTSD symptoms are the same in NTs and Aspies.
CPTSD manifests the same in both sexes.
Highly varied based on trauma history, culture, personality, etc....
CPTSD is an internal problem...BPD creates problems when relating to others...lots of drama and chaos

:D

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 8:07 pm

Does it matter? It sucks for everybody.

NyxBean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

Quote:
CPTSD is an internal problem...BPD creates problems when relating to others...lots of drama and chaos

Source for the last point? Almost all the resources, sites, and dedicated support areas talk about the difficulties complex post-traumatic trauma can cause with interpersonal relationships and how it mirrors BPD in many ways. Actually, I've seen it mentioned that there are a lot of diagnoses it has traits in common with (super lazy way to source, go to wiki, otherwise I'll post a bunch of links - would much prefer to see your information before that).

I find it highly unlikely that such difficult internal problems would not spill out into the external world. I'm trying to think of any diagnoses which does not cause some sort of issue with relating to others and I'm coming up short. I suppose those who withdraw entirely from people due to a problem but you could argue that is an interpersonal problem.

I'm on a lot of support sites but they are allistic in general.

1401b wrote:

Does anything matter? It obviously matters to me as I'm asking about it. I like details of what is being decided about on me and how they intersect and whether another person might be experiencing it differently due to gender roles, hormones, neurological structure, etc.

How would we get anywhere if we put all issues down to that? Genuinely confused as to why questioning a painful condition should be met with what appears to be flippancy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm

I think these are questions for a clinical psychologist.

NyxBean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I think these are questions for a clinical psychologist.

Maybe there's a clinical psychologist or somebody who has asked these of one or somebody who can point me to a paper written by one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm

There is an interesting book, "Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders (Adults): Scientific Foundations and Therapeutic Models" edited by Courtois and Ford.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:04 pm

NyxBean wrote:
[...]
1401b wrote:

Does anything matter? It obviously matters to me as I'm asking about it. I like details of what is being decided about on me and how they intersect and whether another person might be experiencing it differently due to gender roles, hormones, neurological structure, etc.

How would we get anywhere if we put all issues down to that? Genuinely confused as to why questioning a painful condition should be met with what appears to be flippancy.

How you answer that question tells me what you want to know.
1 If it's just curiosity then general statements and sources are probably fine.
2 If it's "oh dear, us have EVERYTHING worser! even PTSD!" then I'd probably ignore it at best.
3 If it's for researching a thesis I might ask more questions about what you want.
4 If you wanted to know how to change the world in this area I would probably border on sarcasm and tell you to go to school.

Frankly, I thought this was another #2 minimizing other people's pain.
I've PTSD as well, so I looked at the thread.

Looks like you got your questions answered. g/l

NyxBean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2015, 8:47 am

1401b wrote:
NyxBean wrote:
[...]
1401b wrote:

How you answer that question tells me what you want to know.
1 If it's just curiosity then general statements and sources are probably fine.
2 If it's "oh dear, us have EVERYTHING worser! even PTSD!" then I'd probably ignore it at best.
3 If it's for researching a thesis I might ask more questions about what you want.
4 If you wanted to know how to change the world in this area I would probably border on sarcasm and tell you to go to school.

Frankly, I thought this was another #2 minimizing other people's pain.
I've PTSD as well, so I looked at the thread.

Looks like you got your questions answered. g/l

I don't really think we are going to agree a lot if you are suggesting with 2# that people who simply feel it might be more logical to have it as a separate diagnosis are saying something like "it's worse". Although if there are levels of severity and complex winds up being made out to be more severe than PTSD in the same category by professionals then really you would be complaining about people following diagnostic criteria given to them.

If you mean people saying that C-PTSD is worse in ASD than in allistic individuals then sure, I can see the issue. However, again, if it winds up that professionals decide that there are unique problems when one meets the other and the person can show that, you're making little sense.

As for "going to school": Going to use a buzzword that will get me ridiculed as always, but that's ableist. If I weren't so mentally disabled that I have to spend 90% of the time hanging around in my boxers, I'd be in university and probably would never leave. Dropped out of high school at 16 because I couldn't cope with the pressure of other people and nobody got me to the docs for the list of diagnoses I have now. Pushing that aside, it's a useless argument against anybody who is perhaps looking to work out where awareness may or may not be needed with the hope to try to get involved in activism against stigma and the spreading of information so that it is fairly understood. The way those on ASD spectrum experience a few issues differs and so it would only make sense to work out whether that might be the same here.

What are your qualifications? While I've mentioned professionals a lot here there are still an awful lot of uselessly trained individuals and yet I'd like to know your level.

Anyway, as my answer seems to be satisfactory I may not have to explain but:
1. Yes.
2. In the manner of "is there a possibility we're missing particular areas which need attention?"
3. I'd love to be writing a thesis but no
4. I'm an activist and advocate for anything which I find makes sense though I feel equality isn't straightforward (balance means more than getting the same opportunities, it means those with less OR differing troubles get the help they need).

Feel free to ignore anything I post, to be honest. I'm crankier than usual lately due to life pressures and noisy neighbours so I'm not in the the mood for ego games or the intellectual equivalent of measuring genitalia.

Quote:
There is an interesting book, "Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders (Adults): Scientific Foundations and Therapeutic Models" edited by Courtois and Ford.

Grand! Hopefully one of the city libraries might have it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm

NyxBean wrote:
Quote:

Source for the last point? Almost all the resources, sites, and dedicated support areas talk about the difficulties complex post-traumatic trauma can cause with interpersonal relationships and how it mirrors BPD in many ways.

All mental illness have internal and external effects. The emphasis in the lives of ppl with CPTSD is their internal experience (fear, flashbacks, nightmares, intrusive memories, self-hatred, inability to trust etc......). This is not the case in BPD, the most obvious issue in their lives is the endless drama/chaos and string of unstable relationships. Obviously, ppl with BPD suffer internally but from an overall view their relationship problems overshadow everything.

I have spent years discussing these types of issues with experts in PTSD and PD treatment....doesn't mean they are right.

"According to the NIMH-funded National Comorbidity Survey Replication—the largest national study to date of mental disorders in U.S. adults—about 85 percent of people with BPD also suffer from another mental illness.5

Most of these are listed below, followed by the estimated percent of people with BPD who have them:

Major Depressive Disorder – 60%
Dysthymia (a chronic type of depression) – 70%
Substance abuse – 35%
Eating disorders (such as anorexia, bulimia, binge eating) – 25%
Bipolar disorder – 15%
Antisocial Personality Disorder – 25%
Narcissistic Personality Disorder – 25%
Self-Injury – 55%-85%"

Source: http://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com/what-is-bpd/bpd-overview/

NB: PTSD is not even listed as a common co-morbidity. PTSD and BPD do not mirror each other.

Some ppl do have both PTSD and BPD(i've even met some) but it is not that common.

Be well. :)

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2015, 6:12 pm

I would have to argue that almost anyone on the spectrum, especially those who were not diagnosed early can be shown to suffer from cptsd. It is a result of repeated trama and abuse. And abuse doesn't have to physical to cause it.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)