Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

intriguedaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Anyone else afraid of water? Literally pulling your hair out...eyebrows, eyelashes? And what about tonsil stones? Highly sensitive to medications, loud noises, and bright lights? The desire to be social but the sensory overload is unbearable? Bursts of excitement and then bursts of anger?... :(

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm

intriguedaspie wrote:
Anyone else afraid of water? Literally pulling your hair out...eyebrows, eyelashes? And what about tonsil stones? Highly sensitive to medications, loud noises, and bright lights? The desire to be social but the sensory overload is unbearable? Bursts of excitement and then bursts of anger?... :(

What you have said is complex.

fear of water is a phobia, not OCD

trichotillomania is the compulsion to pull out your hair

idk what tonsil stones are, pls explain

sensory overload is common in ASD

have you been diagnosed by a Doctor?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm

intriguedaspie wrote:

I suffer from OCD so I think I know what I'm talking about.

The fear of water is not necessarily OCD. If the thought of going into the water and drowning constantly pops in your mind to the point where you can't bathe yourself is more like OCD. You see, there is a veritable hierarchy for anxiety this triangle I have made explains that.

OCD
PHOBIA
GENERAL FEAR
So if you want to be diagnosed with OCD it will depend on the severity of your symptoms.

Pulling hair out of your body can be many things. If it's stress related it could because of sensory overload which is a symptom of Sensory Processing Disorder. So I am aiming toward SPD and maybe OCD or maybe it's some sort of trauma related anxiety, with the information and the poor format of your post I can't really tell, be more specific.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 9:03 pm

intriguedaspie wrote:

As others have said:

1. A fear of water is under the category of "specific phobia". It doesn't have anything to do with OCD, I don't think, unless perhaps your fear is of the germs or contaminated material contained in the water. (Not that OCD is only germaphobia... just thinking broadly here.)

2. Pulling your hair out... like someone said, that's Trichotillomania. It's mainly regarded as a subcategory of OCD. Here's a bit more information, since I'm no expert: https://iocdf.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -Sheet.pdf.

3. Not sure what those are.

4. Those seem like sensory sensitivities. Judging from your username, I'm assuming you suspect you have AS or have been diagnosed. Alternatively, though, Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) is a real thing, as well.

5. Have you been diagnosed or heard about Bipolar Disorder? I'm definitely no expert (or even knowledgeable about this), but "bursts of excitement and then bursts of anger" sounds a bit like some of the symptoms of that diagnosis. But you'd need to do more research first...

6. Finally, I am not a doctor. Anything I say is simply an opinion (and an uninformed one at that), and you should seek medical attention if you believe that one of these conditions is causing you harm.