Who else is hypo-sensitive to pain but hyper to light touch

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2015, 2:09 pm

I always thought it was weird that pain has never bothered me (I once walked around for week on a badly fractured ankle that they ended up putting a pin in), but a light touch is almost physically painful or what I imagine real pain to be like. Oh, and hypo-sensitive to cold as well. I was the strange kid who would go out in the snow wearing a t-shirt.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 2:50 pm

Strangely yes, I am too. Same with the cold. I don't get why though.

JT_B_Goode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2015, 4:12 pm

Eric2971 wrote:
I always thought it was weird that pain has never bothered me (I once walked around for week on a badly fractured ankle that they ended up putting a pin in), but a light touch is almost physically painful or what I imagine real pain to be like. Oh, and hypo-sensitive to cold as well. I was the strange kid who would go out in the snow wearing a t-shirt.

This is me completely. I don't think I feel pain any less, but I'm definitely more tolerant of it than most people I've encountered. It's always weirded me out that I could be so sensitive to touch, but despite how much I flinch at the threat of pain it's never that bad when it actually happens.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

JT_B_Goode wrote:
Eric2971 wrote:

This is me completely. I don't think I feel pain any less, but I'm definitely more tolerant of it than most people I've encountered. It's always weirded me out that I could be so sensitive to touch, but despite how much I flinch at the threat of pain it's never that bad when it actually happens.

Yes, exactly. When I tell people that pain doesn't bother me, they always seem to think that I don't feel it which is stupid. Leprosy patients lose limbs and such to sores that they could not feel so they got infected and not treated till it was too late.

It's almost like there's a filter between me and my body, enough gets through to let me know somethings wrong, but not enough for me to complain about. For instance, I knew something was wrong with my ankle, but I just assumed it was sprained and just ignored it. After a while any pain that is constant just fades into the background noise of my mind. I never did get why nature put a mechanism in place that can completely dibiliatate one if overloaded. Doesn't seem like a survival trait when being chased by something large with many teeth 8O

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)