Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

yaskfls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2015, 12:15 pm

I am dignosed asperger
Strongly think that I have some kind of turettes (physical ticks, verbal ticks - talking out loud a lot), touching Things (can be asperger and turette) because I need to feel the texture etc.

But my mind seems to function a bit different than normal asperger. I have loads om thoughs at the same time (about different Things). I function best if I do several things at the same time. I have only met one person who had it like this and he had ADHD. But I already have asperger and some of the things seems to be the same
I have a short interest span, unless it is my special interest.
I shift focus all the time - actually I need to, otherwise I am bored.
I am very distraught - daydreaming
Very easily distracted - by anything (a bird flying by, a fly in the window, radio etc.)
I Loose Things - unless I had such an exellent memory, many things would go missing.
I am not hyper - on the contrary

I just see many similarities between the to diagnoses and I know several people inhere have both - but I surely cant be "blessed" with more Things?

Dyscalculia, self diagnosed

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

I think it's possible you have ADHD on top of your Aspergers. Perhaps ADHD medication would help some. Have you tried to treat your turrets?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm

yaskfls wrote:
I am dignosed asperger
Strongly think that I have some kind of turettes (physical ticks, verbal ticks - talking out loud a lot), touching Things (can be asperger and turette) because I need to feel the texture etc.

But my mind seems to function a bit different than normal asperger. I have loads om thoughs at the same time (about different Things). I function best if I do several things at the same time. I have only met one person who had it like this and he had ADHD. But I already have asperger and some of the things seems to be the same
I have a short interest span, unless it is my special interest.
I shift focus all the time - actually I need to, otherwise I am bored.
I am very distraught - daydreaming
Very easily distracted - by anything (a bird flying by, a fly in the window, radio etc.)
I Loose Things - unless I had such an exellent memory, many things would go missing.
I am not hyper - on the contrary

I just see many similarities between the to diagnoses and I know several people inhere have both - but I surely cant be "blessed" with more Things?

Hi yaskfls,

I have been diagnosed with ADHD, Tourettes, and OCD. And many others suspected I have Aspergers, even before I did. With that said, yeah, there are other people out there in this situation. ADHD, Tourettes, OCD, these are common "co-morbids" of Aspergers. Of course not everyone has all the same symptoms or combination thereof.

I can certainly relate to all the things you listed. As I've gotten older, the tics have become much more managable. Avoiding highly charged emotional states helps to keep your cool. Watching exciting or intense movies can increase the dopamine in your brain, and triggers tics, from my experience.

I have stims, also. They are different, though. It's more subconcious, and not really disruptive like the tics. Stims can be nice and pleasant, where tics are sharp, pointy and painful. Like sometimes I'll be rubbing my leg hair repetitively, and don't even notice it. Just a nice soothing feeling, though other people would think it looks weird.

Tics are like this near uncontrollable desire to shake, twitch, contort your face, make vocal noises, that you compulsively feel like you just have to do. You are very aware of when the urges are there, and it can be often stressful, and cause headaches, if you're a head shaker like me :(

In terms of not being "Hyperactive", there is a misunderstanding of the ADHD diagnosis. Hyperactive does NOT mean that you are naturally tanked up on sugar and bouncing off the walls.

Hyperactive refers to your mind being so much in flux and going all over the place. Your brain processing is hyperactive. The ironic thing is that it can cause you to be hyperfocused as well. This makes sense because your brain is hyper-actively concentrating on a particular topic to the exclusion of everything else.

For an Aspie, this can make the intensity of a "special/narrow interest" even more intensive.

It can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it could potentially make you a prodigy in something. A curse because you don't always have the self control to know when to stop and deal with more important things in life (eating, working, sleeping).

Proper sleep, diet, and friends and family who care about your well being can be some of your greatest assets with our condition. We need structure, limits, accountability and a little TLC.

I hope you find this helpful. :)

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:00 pm

Also yaskfls,

You are welcome to PM me if you need someone to talk to. I've already added you to my friends list.

yaskfls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2015, 8:43 am

You were not supposed to agree with me! (Irony might occur here)

The turette part, is probably right. The ADHD part I do not like.

I think I will consider it a Little more, might seek diagnosis (if possible). I probably will accept the kind offer from marcb0t but I am going on vacation for the NeXT month

Ps. for some reason this page seems to eat a lot of the letters I type and I have to retype, so the answer is a bit short.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 8:47 am

yaskfls wrote:
You were not supposed to agree with me! (Irony might occur here)

The turette part, is probably right. The ADHD part I do not like.

I think I will consider it a Little more, might seek diagnosis (if possible). I probably will accept the kind offer from marcb0t but I am going on vacation for the NeXT month

Ps. for some reason this page seems to eat a lot of the letters I type and I have to retype, so the answer is a bit short.

Alright, well you have fun then. Bon Voyage! 8)

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2015, 9:41 am

For the longest time I didn't believe my ADD diagnoses. I thought my Asperger's and schizophrenia had enough of the shared symptoms to explain it. Plus the last thing I wanted was yet another medication. But as time went on, I began to wonder if the doc was right. There are a number of behaviors and quirks of mine that simply couldn't be blamed on either. So I gave in and let the doc prescribe me Adderall. Boy, what a crazy 2 weeks that was. Yes, it seemed to help me focus better and it certainly helped my ability to keep track of any number of things in short term memory, but I constantly felt like I had a low level current passing through my brain and body. On edge like I had overdosed on coffee. Got the Doc to switch me to a non stimulant and that did nothing. Finally, he went off label and prescribed me Wellbutrin. Since I already took an antidepressant, he weaned me off that since I didn't want my neurochemicals to be overly effected. It took 3 weeks and the effects were very subtle at first but one day I realized that I could focus more clearly on a number of issues that I normally keep putting off because they bore me. I am not as easily distracted and forgetful. I even remember to say hi to people in the office :roll:

And remember, there are 2 types. Most everyone thinks you have to be hyperactive, but the other one is the inattentive type. So yes, the symptoms you describe are pretty much textbook ADD. <- notice the lack of 'H'

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

Forgot to ADD this. <-- pun intended :D
Also, it seems they no longer define it as ADD, it's now ADHD-PI. Go figure. Guess I'll go update my sig.

Wiki for ADD

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

yaskfls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2015, 5:32 am

I have added you to my friendlist as well. I will be back when I get home from my vacation.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 9:56 pm

I share many traits with you! I have Tourettes, ADHD, OCD, dyscalculia, Borderline personality disorder, and high functioning autism, so apparently never have too much. ;)
My attention is highly focus based, so I never pay attention to things that aren't my area of interest either. I am also easily distracted by little things, especially animals. :) I think I'm the more inattentive type, but hyperactive traits are definitely existent in me.
Marcb0t also gave a good description to what tics are. Generally, I think everyone who has Tourettes understands what the sensation feels like.
Seeking diagnsis can be a good thing so you can figure out what kind of ways you can "treat" yourself. I've been off meds for years, but I think I will return once I move out.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 11:59 pm

yaskfls wrote:
I have added you to my friendlist as well. I will be back when I get home from my vacation.

Cool! I look forward to talkin' with ya!

Take care.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 12:25 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I share many traits with you! I have Tourettes, ADHD, OCD, dyscalculia, Borderline personality disorder, and high functioning autism, so apparently never have too much. ;)
My attention is highly focus based, so I never pay attention to things that aren't my area of interest either. I am also easily distracted by little things, especially animals. :) I think I'm the more inattentive type, but hyperactive traits are definitely existent in me.
Marcb0t also gave a good description to what tics are. Generally, I think everyone who has Tourettes understands what the sensation feels like.
Seeking diagnsis can be a good thing so you can figure out what kind of ways you can "treat" yourself. I've been off meds for years, but I think I will return once I move out.

Ah, another friend! Hi BeggingTurtle, good to meet you. :)

I looked into what discalculia was, and one of the symptoms is difficulty with left and right. Ever since I learned what left and right were back in 1989, I have NEVER been able to instaneously distinguish between the 2. Now if you say "East and West", or "3 o'clock and 9 o'clock", I can understand that in relation to my body. But I don't really get right and left. I always refer to the hand I know I write with, and then I can go from there.

Also, I can do most basic arithmetic, but I'm really slooooow at it when doing it in my head. I'm faster on paper, but still much slower than a lot of people. I have memorized basic multiplication tables, and can get by just fine, but pretty slow a lot of times. I ain't no math savant, that's fo sho!

Mmm... researching Borderline Personality Disorder, and it seems to reflect a lot of problems I have in relationships to other people. I tend to view one person as a loving friend one moment, and as the source of my pain the next. Or I heap tons of emotional abuse on myself, and occasionally have suicidal contemplations.

Unstable, and ambivelant can describe me often. And I try to fight it, and can maintain my composure outwardly for the most part. But inside there is often intense turmoil, and emotional instability.

I don't know, what's your experience like, if you don't mind me asking?

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 9:44 pm

marcb0t wrote:

I have a lot of trouble learning maths, especially in my childhood, but it kind of caught notice of my teachers when I had memorized the tables, but failed multiple timed tests. :? Numbers don't exactly look one way for me, because when I look at Arabic numbers (not like written numbers such as 『一』 or "one") 7s tend to look like 1s and 5s look like 2s and basically any number that looks similar I confuse easily.
I've never had left and right problems, but when people refer to them, I look at the opposite one first :? I guess because that's who I am. :D
As for emotional stability, my parents believe I have complete control over my emotions (not true) because often times, they get the better of me, whether I want to feel a certain way or not. Sometimes I'll feel inexplicably angry or sad or self-loathing for no reason at all. It can last from an hour to a couple months on various scales.
More on what you said, it's not so much that I distrust people, but I'm too clingy to them. In the past, I fear for what I have done to some friends, my ex-girlfriend, and my sister and there's a massive rift caused by it. My therapist says "Everyone feels this way about these things." That's a lie, because I can guarantee that anyone who doesn't have a personality disorder won't experience the emotional extremities like this. Overall, "little" relationships are often bigger things to me because I have had a period of no friends in my life and I don't want to return to that.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 10:47 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
marcb0t wrote:

I have a lot of trouble learning maths, especially in my childhood, but it kind of caught notice of my teachers when I had memorized the tables, but failed multiple timed tests. :? Numbers don't exactly look one way for me, because when I look at Arabic numbers (not like written numbers such as 『一』 or "one") 7s tend to look like 1s and 5s look like 2s and basically any number that looks similar I confuse easily.
I've never had left and right problems, but when people refer to them, I look at the opposite one first :? I guess because that's who I am. :D
As for emotional stability, my parents believe I have complete control over my emotions (not true) because often times, they get the better of me, whether I want to feel a certain way or not. Sometimes I'll feel inexplicably angry or sad or self-loathing for no reason at all. It can last from an hour to a couple months on various scales.
More on what you said, it's not so much that I distrust people, but I'm too clingy to them. In the past, I fear for what I have done to some friends, my ex-girlfriend, and my sister and there's a massive rift caused by it. My therapist says "Everyone feels this way about these things." That's a lie, because I can guarantee that anyone who doesn't have a personality disorder won't experience the emotional extremities like this. Overall, "little" relationships are often bigger things to me because I have had a period of no friends in my life and I don't want to return to that.

Oh hi!

Well, honestly, I don't have problems with numbers on that scale, just a little slow at processing arithmetic, but I can read them just fine.

I don't "mistrust" people who I referred to. I just may not agree with what they tell me, and then get all up in a tizzy inside for no good reason. Then I internally blame the other person for being the one who is putting me through inner turmoil (which is wrong of me). But I am never violent, or spiteful when I talk. And I never slander anyone who I'm upset with, because number 1, that's wrong, and number 2, I don't trust my emotions to accurately convey the truth.

How I feel, is not always appropriate for a situation. So I work hard to deny my inner struggles and feelings, though I can get in a "hang dog" mopy mood. I just really hate myself for being that way. :evil:

I would rather not have any ill feelings towards any person around me. It is stressful and burdensome. So I don't know if what I described is BPD, but I do appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Also, I am intrinsically clingy as well. I've never really had a girlfriend, and don't really care to participate in the dating scene or those kinds of "relationships" anyway. But with my parents, or other people, I have been rather clingy. My dad has stated before that I'm just too clingy, or that he cannot give me all the attention that I require. The truth is that nobody can, but nobody should have to either. Hard place to be in.

So as I've gotten older, I've learned how to "back off", and give people space. I'm not perfect by any means, but it really seems to help with my friendships.

You can PM or try to contact me as much as you want. I don't care. And I'd be glad to be a friend. I do take a couple of weeks sometimes to respond to messages, but that's because I'm very busy, and have a hard time coming up with responses to people that seem adequate. I've spent maybe an hour on this response as it is. 8O