Page 6 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 9:12 pm

chapstan wrote:
Nerdygirl;

In working with ministers of other denominations, I have seen that sometimes they do things differently than Baptists, like doing Sunday School differently or not having Wednesday Night Prayer meeting, so you could check what other churches in your area offer on other nights.

It's good to see other churches may worship differently but the basic faith in God's mercy and grace is still there.

Kraichgauer; the Lutheran chaplains I've know were solid Biblical scholars, and generally had a better understanding of the Reformation and church history than I did. It's been several years now since I retired but there did seem to be some tension between those from the Missouri Synod and those who were ELCA, is that anything that you even see at the local church level?

There is that tension there, though many Lutherans, like myself, have family in both churches, and so are more tolerant to different views of Lutheranism. Unfortunately, some people take church politics too personally, because leaders and theologians of both church bodies have in the past behaved in an Unchristian fashion by lobbing hurtful criticisms at one another.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

...No one seemed to say anything in response to the post i put up here (Still , it's possible that someone did and I missed it .) - I don't know nessecarily when I will post again so i don't want to start something that would be seen as " being argument7ative " , I just am u9ncertain about my relationship with - would-be?? - Christian belief/association recently .

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 7:13 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...Last night , at the mission I was staying at (Look , you know my backstory here , right ?????) the (complsory) chapel service had someone from there doing a rather Calvinist?? thing of " You may not drink/smoke/do drugs and you may give money to the poor , but if you're not a child of God , you're going to hell " .

What are you asking here?

I have to agree with the preacher, but not because of specific "sins" or "virtues" he mentioned, but this: NONE of us is perfect, not one. So, the question becomes how can we stand before God? Those who believe that they are sinners but that Jesus Christ's death pays the penalty for their sin are trusting in HIS work, not their own goodness to stand before God. Those who don't believe in Jesus basically are saying that they are good enough on their own, and do not need a savior or forgiveness from God. They may say "I'm good because I don't drink or smoke or do drugs" or "I'm good because I give to the poor." But these things, good as they are, do not make up for the "hidden" sins we commit like selfishness, dishonesty, greed, envy - things of the heart.

It is trusting in Jesus' death & resurrection that makes one a child of God, nothing else.

Here, I am only explaining Christian theology, not trying to defend the existence of God or the legitimacy of the Christian religion.

Here you go, ASS-P.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 3:55 pm

...Thank you , saymorelater , maybe ?
No disagreement with the " all need redeption , " " not one righteous " concept expressed here .

quote="nerdygirl"]

nerdygirl wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...Last night , at the mission I was staying at (Look , you know my backstory here , right ?????) the (complsory) chapel service had someone from there doing a rather Calvinist?? thing of " You may not drink/smoke/do drugs and you may give money to the poor , but if you're not a child of God , you're going to hell " .

What are you asking here?

I have to agree with the preacher, but not because of specific "sins" or "virtues" he mentioned, but this: NONE of us is perfect, not one. So, the question becomes how can we stand before God? Those who believe that they are sinners but that Jesus Christ's death pays the penalty for their sin are trusting in HIS work, not their own goodness to stand before God. Those who don't believe in Jesus basically are saying that they are good enough on their own, and do not need a savior or forgiveness from God. They may say "I'm good because I don't drink or smoke or do drugs" or "I'm good because I give to the poor." But these things, good as they are, do not make up for the "hidden" sins we commit like selfishness, dishonesty, greed, envy - things of the heart.

It is trusting in Jesus' death & resurrection that makes one a child of God, nothing else.

Here, I am only explaining Christian theology, not trying to defend the existence of God or the legitimacy of the Christian religion.

Here you go, ASS-P.[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 5:39 pm

...I just - wonder - about my feeling toward " renewed/aroused Chrisian/church feeling " on my part . I presume most if
not all here would encourage me in that direction........... :?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 6:03 pm

As far as ASS-P's dilemma, to say that drinking, etc. is sinful is a dogma issue, not a biblical issue. The only references in the Bible that refer to not drinking is when someone drinks in excess. I can see your problem with being force-fed Calvinism, but they are far from being the only denomination. Look around, I'm sure you will find what your looking for. To refer to the Missouri/ ELCA divide in theology, the church that I attend left the ELCA about 5 years ago over several matters of theology. We felt that the ELCA was bringing politics into the sanctuary where it doesn't belong. We also rejected the Missouri Synod as being too far the other way, so as you can see, there are a number of Synods in the Lutheran Churches, and we probably all have it wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:01 pm

glebel wrote:
As far as ASS-P's dilemma, to say that drinking, etc. is sinful is a dogma issue, not a biblical issue. The only references in the Bible that refer to not drinking is when someone drinks in excess. I can see your problem with being force-fed Calvinism, but they are far from being the only denomination. Look around, I'm sure you will find what your looking for. To refer to the Missouri/ ELCA divide in theology, the church that I attend left the ELCA about 5 years ago over several matters of theology. We felt that the ELCA was bringing politics into the sanctuary where it doesn't belong. We also rejected the Missouri Synod as being too far the other way, so as you can see, there are a number of Synods in the Lutheran Churches, and we probably all have it wrong.

Are you attending any Lutheran church now?

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...I just - wonder - about my feeling toward " renewed/aroused Chrisian/church feeling " on my part . I presume most if

Greetings,

The important issue is whether or not God is drawing you to Himself. Do you love, or want to love Jesus, knowing what He has done for you. And are you willing to lay your own life down to Him moment to moment.

These "renewed/aroused Chrisian/church feeling" sound like an act of God's mercy. I would encourage you to take this seriously, and seek after Him. I could do no better.

Hebrews 3:7-8a - So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion,[...]"

Reading your profile alone, it seems that God has allowed you to go through much trial in life, yet He loves and preserves you every day. Here is another scripture that comes to mind:

Acts 17:26-27 - From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

What are you wanting to do?

Much Love in Christ,
marcb0t

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 7:36 pm

...Frankly , I have some REAL material/health problems ~ Some of them involving things , attempted on my part , that Iimagine many would see as " praiseworthy attempts to improve myself " that , however , I would need much help in doing now , especially with my health situation :( - See other posts of mine today . :(

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
glebel wrote:

Are you attending any Lutheran church now?

As a matter of fact, I am. I am quite active in my local church ( Properties Manager, Reader, etc. ).

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 12:13 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Frankly , I have some REAL material/health problems ~ Some of them involving things , attempted on my part , that Iimagine many would see as " praiseworthy attempts to improve myself " that , however , I would need much help in doing now , especially with my health situation :( - See other posts of mine today . :(

I think if you reached out to the the right church body, you would find that you will find many people who would be willing to help you, both physically and spiritually. Many urban churches have programs to help people in need, and even small rural churches like the one I attend can be very supportive. I found much support when I came back to the church after my wife died ten years ago, and instead of treating me like a freak when they found out I have Asperger's, they are quite understanding ( except when people encourage me to get involved in things I am uncomfortable about ). :heart:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 6:59 pm

...In Santa Cruz I had been going to these Monday afternoon Bible classes/meetings/suppers put on by the Episcopal church (High Church) there - That is my background , what I was baptized in/what my parents were and my going to churches over the past coupla years has primarily been to those - The SC one was enough of a " true " church service at times that , at some of the times that the church's priest was there , Communion would be offered (which I took) , in the parish hall where the class/supper was , which , for a Communion-offering Christian church , is about as much a definition of a " true " service as anything else , I guess . :|
It was a class/service/supper offered for/directed at homeless , since I guess I didn't spell that out above .
Social services , well , not many had come to me , or so it seems , not really it seemed through " normal " secular channels , and though the priest at that SC church expressed concern about my condition (My poor walking was pretty apparent by then , I guess :( ) , I had - at that time - already decided to head San Francisco-ward (All of this is outlined in my recent " about me " posts generally in The Haven except that I start them in General and then a Mod moves them :P :evil: )...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 6:58 am

...I do wonder about the literal truth of the Bible , I go back and forth about " wanting to belong "...Whatever - Maybe soon after this I will take the time out to read this whole thread at length - :|

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2015, 12:54 am

i'm an episcopalian! i know a couple aspies who are as well

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 1:45 pm

...I am in San Francisco now (I haven't been able to update my location yet) , and I am in a hospital/recovery home situation now , and I had everything that wasn't stuff I wear stolen before having the happening that led to me being in this place now , and , though I had meant to start to replace my stolen things before I landed in the situation that brought me here , I wasn't able to , so I came in here with ONLY what I had on my back/in my pockets to my name , and that (bar a free T-shirt or something) the same .
That actually includes not having a Bible - I Over the last months I've had various Bibles , but they all got stolen/lost to me now , briefly , somehow - I purchased quite a few !
The care I'm getting here now is good in itself , but even if I can stay the earlier-mentioned full period (Insurance costs .) , when I am discharged it'll be to being homeless again , and being confined here is essentially preventing me from doing anything to get important objects to try and replace the luggage , clothing , reading , other things that were stolen in the theft , and whn I am discharged here I'll be discharged , still , with only what I have on to a homeless situation again , with me having been frozen from making improvements during my time here !
I can't really look for a church to go to while I'm here .
I am hurriedly trying to get this post up before I leave the computer , so there's not as much a percentage of stuff about Christian/religious matters as I meant for this post to have , again , I have to finish it and get it up now !

marcb0t wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

Greetings,

The important issue is whether or not God is drawing you to Himself. Do you love, or want to love Jesus, knowing what He has done for you. And are you willing to lay your own life down to Him moment to moment.

These "renewed/aroused Chrisian/church feeling" sound like an act of God's mercy. I would encourage you to take this seriously, and seek after Him. I could do no better.

Hebrews 3:7-8a - So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion,[...]"

Reading your profile alone, it seems that God has allowed you to go through much trial in life, yet He loves and preserves you every day. Here is another scripture that comes to mind:

Acts 17:26-27 - From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

What are you wanting to do?

Much Love in Christ,
marcb0t

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm

ASS-P-

My God, what happened?