Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 10:41 pm

Like your steps in your day what you are going to do next. Get up, Ok bathroom,coffee,cereal,get dressed,make up bed. (You repeat this order to yourself over and over!) Then onto the next set of chores for the day. This drives ME CRAZY!

I've heard the tip of writing this stuff down but never have. It's just go go go go go one thing after another after another!

Can anyone relate? On the plus side I get stuff done vs. getting wrapped up into a video game and forgetting to feed the cat or do X chore.

Now I have the cat programmed into my phone for 6PM so I KNOW I won't forget but since my wake up isn't a set time everyday and not everyday is planned to the letter it'd be hard to follow a huge timed list of tasks. What if I chose to be shopping during a time of dishes or eating etc.

Any tips on this constant planning things in your head one by one until they get done CONSTANTLY REPEATING THEM!

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 11:00 pm

I constantly plan everything. I prefer to have my entire day planned out. Not just for tomorrow, but for the next day and the next. I think I do this, so as to reduce stress/anxiety when the actual moment happens. Otherwise, I worry obsessively about things. Actually, I will worry obsessively about things, even if I have it all planned out. There’s always something to worry about. Sigh.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:08 am

I can definitely relate to that. I can't be too spontaneous. It is overwhelming and does drive me crazy. I tend to be slow as well because I have to repeat things in my head over and over to be sure. And I do get things done, as long as they are planned. So I am a very reliable person.

Yes, writing down does help, as knowing that everything is recorded somewhere makes you feel safe/comfortable. However, I often have to keep checking the written task list (instead of just repeating the things in the head). Still, it's better.

Also, the things that have become part of the routine require less planning/thinking and cause less stress. So I tend to try to develop routines that I can almost automatically do every day/every week.

I think it's an OCD symptom, at least in my case.