Autistic Expressions Harder to Read (new research published)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 9:38 am

A new epub just came out called Can neurotypical individuals read autistic facial expressions? Atypical production of emotional facial expressions in Autism Spectrum Disorders. This was out of the UK, which is where I've noticed the best autism research seems to happen.

They found that it is harder to read the faces of autistic people when they are making emotional expressions, whether or not the person trying to read the face is autistic. So both autistics and neurotypicals were equally bad at reading emotional facial expressions on autistic faces.

The moral to this story is, I think, voice your emotions.

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

Thanks for this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Story of my life. People often ask me "what's wrong" when nothing is and do not believe me when I do reply that nothing is wrong.

I have noticed that the United Kingdom is a lot more advanced in autism knowledge the other places.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Story of my life. People often ask me "what's wrong" when nothing is and do not believe me when I do reply that nothing is wrong.

Lol, I get that all the time because of a flat affect. But I'll take the lack of wrinkles, laugh lines, and crows feet any day. :wink:

Speaking of which, everyone should take the Microsoft age recognition test. It pegs me at 36 which is way off, but it get's Jake right on the nose.
How old do you look?

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Jul 2015, 3:01 pm

I remember pretty clearly back in kindergarten a classmate asking me "what's wrong?" because of the sour expression on my face. I've always been a mean mugger probably even as a baby.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

Caelum wrote:
Thanks for this.

You're welcome!

That how old are you thing told me I was 50. :( I'm 38.

GrandWazoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2015, 1:36 am

Haha! Thank you very much for this!

These questions about my emotional state are almost unbearable. Classics like "are you angry?", "why are you upset?", "just smile, it will get better!", "what is wrong?", "you seem a little stressed", and "you are annoyed with me, aren't you?" are just a fraction of things that people ask me on a daily basis.
It becomes even weirder whenever they seem to read from my face that i am in a good mood even though my mood is horrible.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 11:20 am

There's a shocker [/sarcasm]

Maybe now they'll listen to us????

THAT would be news.