Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm

How autistic adults banded together to start a movement

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Whitney is part of a growing movement of autistic adults who are finding a sense of community, identity and purpose in a diagnosis that most people greet with dread. These “neurodiversity” activists contend that autism — and other brain afflictions such as dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — ought to be treated not as a scourge to be eradicated but rather as a difference to be understood and accepted.
The movement is not new. But it has gained a foothold in the cultural mainstream as the discredited debate over autism-causing vaccines has subsided and the voices of autistic adults have emerged, amplified by social media and the blogosphere

That's encouraging. I look forward to the book:
NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman

Kirkus Review

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm

Whatever you do, don't read the comments below the article. They prove the adage that comments section are the armpit of the Internet. Posting there is one of our "favorites", Lenny Schafer, telling us how broken we are, over and over again.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 7:30 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

"Years later, she found a word that explained it all: Autistic. Instead of grieving, she felt a rush of relief. “It was the answer to every question I’d ever had,” she recalled. “It was kind of like a go-ahead to shed all of those things I could or couldn’t do and embrace myself for who I am.”

Zacktly... :mrgreen:

Nice find...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 7:34 am

DevilInPgh wrote:
Whatever you do, don't read the comments below the article. They prove the adage that comments section are the armpit of the Internet. Posting there is one of our "favorites", Lenny Schafer, telling us how broken we are, over and over again.

Couldn't see any of Lenny's comments...
There is a "report" button...
Probably removed...

Pity...
I was going to have fun with the funny neurotypical... :mrgreen:

m3zomo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2015, 10:03 am

Good share

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 6:50 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:

Too late. Of course the comments are full of idiots, why am I so surprised? Idiots love soapboxes, and the comment sections of news articles are the one place where they feel like they have power to express their idiotic opinion to a massive audience.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 6:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

Couldn't see any of Lenny's comments...
There is a "report" button...
Probably removed...

Pity...
I was going to have fun with the funny neurotypical... :mrgreen:

Oh, he's still there, being the stupid jerk he always was.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html