To the sex-differences deniers on WP.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 12:30 am

sly279 wrote:
also from what I see most people use dating sites now. its esier and less time consuming for nts who have long hard jobs that take up most their time.

REALLY? In America most people use dating site? Here almost none, most people don't need it. Could it be that you only use dating sites so you have a distorted perception of the number of people? I'm not trying to put you down, I just can't believe that. I think that even the majority of these people on dating sites get most of their dates from real life.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 12:44 am

jadw wrote:
In 2010/11 I looked up the official (UK gov) statistics for the ratio of men to women, and got a chart showing that at every age range, the ratio is 1:1. However, there are a lot more people 45-65 years old than 20-30 years.

No, it can't be exactly 1:1. It's pretty close to that, but even a small difference is significant. Think of musical chairs game. There's only one less seat than players but even that could make it dramatic if success in this game was important and what is more important than love.

I tried to look for newest data and the best that I could find was "Annual Mid-year Population Estimates, 2014. 25-Jun-2015". From that data set I got that there's actually 5.11667948% more male twenty-year-olds than female. This ratio decreases in all older age ranges. There's 0,0056179011% more women at 30, 0,0135164539% more at 40 and 0,0250587334 at 50. Please note that I used statistics for England only and used specific age instead of age range, because I didn't have time for this. Sorry. Another interesting idea would be to check gender ratios for most popular dating age ranges because men often date younger women and women often date older men. Also it would be nice to compare data for cities and rural areas because women are more likely to study in college, they're more likely to move to a city and that changes gender ratios.

Now, 5% may not sound like much for you tall, handsome, smart guys, but I personally don't consider myself to be in the top 95%. 5% means that even if I didn't have any standards at all and I was compatible with absolutely everyone, I still wouldn't have anyone to date.

jadw wrote:
It's probably because churches get more women than men. I've been to churches where there were definitely 60-70% women 30-40% men, but also there are more older people than younger in churches. Younger people are more likely to be athiests.

Yes, I agree.

Last edited by 314pe on 22 Jul 2015, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 12:47 am

Peacesells wrote:
sly279 wrote:
also from what I see most people use dating sites now. its esier and less time consuming for nts who have long hard jobs that take up most their time.

REALLY? In America most people use dating site? Here almost none, most people don't need it. Could it be that you only use dating sites so you have a distorted perception of the number of people? I'm not trying to put you down, I just can't believe that. I think that even the majority of these people on dating sites get most of their dates from real life.

I have this impression too.

And there are always way more guys online than girls, despite what those dating sites claim (they are lying, that's why for example okcupid has removed years ago the feature that showed the total number of users online per gender...so they can lie about it in marketing), I bet dating sites count the dead-long forgotten profiles for their counts.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 12:55 am

androbot01 wrote:
Yes men and women are different, so what of it?

Nothing....you are not a denier. :P

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 12:58 am

Peacesells wrote:
sly279 wrote:

comparing the numbers of people on the site per eara with the population per area. thers about the same ammount of peoples as the population for the 18-40 year olds. that's where I get it. people in the us are way more absorbed in technology maybe?

its seen as a time saver. it started as something for loners and inoverts but now its used by most people. look how popular tinder and similar aps are. maybe idk. can only speak to that they are on it. lots claim to be working 2-3 jobs or have kids and so have very little time to go to clubs and bars to date.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:08 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And there are always way more guys online than girls, despite what those dating sites claim (they are lying, that's why for example okcupid has removed years ago the feature that showed the total number of users online per gender...so they can lie about it in marketing), I bet dating sites count the dead-long forgotten profiles for their counts.

On OKC and similar popular websites. On less mainstream websites and in other age ranges it's different.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:35 am

sly279 wrote:
comparing the numbers of people on the site per eara with the population per area. thers about the same ammount of peoples as the population for the 18-40 year olds. that's where I get it. people in the us are way more absorbed in technology maybe?

That doesn't mean people seriously use them for getting dates. I created an account just for fun, and I'm not using it for serious dating. I bet many other people view it the same way. In addition to that, some people probably have multiple accounts because they forgot their username.

sly279 wrote:
its seen as a time saver. it started as something for loners and inoverts but now its used by most people. look how popular tinder and similar aps are. maybe idk. can only speak to that they are on it. lots claim to be working 2-3 jobs or have kids and so have very little time to go to clubs and bars to date.

It's not a time save, rather a huge waste of time.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:03 am

rdos wrote:
sly279 wrote:

That doesn't mean people seriously use them for getting dates. I created an account just for fun, and I'm not using it for serious dating. I bet many other people view it the same way. In addition to that, some people probably have multiple accounts because they forgot their username.

sly279 wrote:

It's not a time save, rather a huge waste of time.

I think I agree with rdos, and we must only consider abitual users. One of the things that support this is that there are much more men than women on dating sites.
I don't think here people use it less because of technology, must be a social thing.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:40 am

I just do my own thing and don't think about whether I'm a woman or a man, and that works just fine for me. If I get treated "like a female" in the dating world, rather than "like a person", that's a turn-off.

What I mean when I say I don't distinguish between the sexes with advice, is that I think gender roles are predominantly silly, and worth fighting against in many cases. For example, if a man complains that "oh but a woman could get away with X, it's only men who can't". I'll say "well she shouldn't get away with it either...don't let her".

The longer people just lazily accept that (what I consider) unfair and unequal gender roles exist, the longer they will exist. They get reinforced by those who say "well that's just the way it is, society has developed this way so we just have to suck it up". Or by those who say "it's just not fair" without suggesting an alternative.

Sure, I'm apparently some weird unique unicorn freak who sees things differently to most, but it's the ones who see it differently who (probably subconsciously) fight against the norms and "rules". If you are happily in the norm, you should be happy with the way things are, be happy with gender roles, and not complain that "women have it easier" or "men can't do X" or whatever. If you see things differently to the norm, if you see the sex(es) you are attracted to as "people" rather than "men" and/or "women", practice what you believe in the real world. You might find that you more easily meet others who feel the same way. If you play the main game, you only play with other players of that game. Are they the ones you want to be playing with?

Am I being vague and philosophical enough yet? :lol:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:53 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
What I mean when I say I don't distinguish between the sexes with advice, is that I think gender roles are predominantly silly, and worth fighting against in many cases. For example, if a man complains that "oh but a woman could get away with X, it's only men who can't". I'll say "well she shouldn't get away with it either...don't let her".

Some things are similar (like problems with strong attachments), while others differ (like making contact, for instance). It's fine not to distinguish between the sexes for things that are similar, but it won't work well with those that differ.

yellowtamarin wrote:
The longer people just lazily accept that (what I consider) unfair and unequal gender roles exist, the longer they will exist. They get reinforced by those who say "well that's just the way it is, society has developed this way so we just have to suck it up". Or by those who say "it's just not fair" without suggesting an alternative.

I don't think the gender roles only exist because of society, but because it is how it works for NTs, and NTs are setting the rules of society.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Sure, I'm apparently some weird unique unicorn freak who sees things differently to most, but it's the ones who see it differently who (probably subconsciously) fight against the norms and "rules". If you are happily in the norm, you should be happy with the way things are, be happy with gender roles, and not complain that "women have it easier" or "men can't do X" or whatever. If you see things differently to the norm, if you see the sex(es) you are attracted to as "people" rather than "men" and/or "women", practice what you believe in the real world. You might find that you more easily meet others who feel the same way. If you play the main game, you only play with other players of that game. Are they the ones you want to be playing with?

That's probably because you (just like me) don't share the programming that NTs have in the relationship area, so we find it strange and bad (and then you blame this on society rather than NTs). However, even if I can't or won't play the typical NT-game, I still play a different game that's natural to me, so I'm not someone that is free of games. I could even claim that I have far more complex games than NTs have, and so has the girls I'm compatible with. :wink:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 3:14 am

rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Some things are similar (like problems with strong attachments), while others differ (like making contact, for instance). It's fine not to distinguish between the sexes for things that are similar, but it won't work well with those that differ.

How does making contact differ? In my world it does not differ at all.

rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

I don't think the gender roles only exist because of society, but because it is how it works for NTs, and NTs are setting the rules of society.

Isn't that the same thing?

rdos wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

That's probably because you (just like me) don't share the programming that NTs have in the relationship area, so we find it strange and bad (and then you blame this on society rather than NTs). However, even if I can't or won't play the typical NT-game, I still play a different game that's natural to me, so I'm not someone that is free of games. I could even claim that I have far more complex games than NTs have, and so has the girls I'm compatible with. :wink:

Again, I see that as the same thing. A society is built by the majority. NTs are the majority, so a society is mostly an NT-built product. I don't "blame" anyone really, it works for NTs so that's fine. I just don't accept it as suitable for me, and so I do things my own way and perhaps I'm just fortunate (or just female! huh!) but this works well for me. I'm not sure if I'm playing games, I'm just doing what I want...what seems rational and logical and fair...perhaps that looks like some niche kind of game to others?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 3:16 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
I just do my own thing and don't think about whether I'm a woman or a man, and that works just fine for me. If I get treated "like a female" in the dating world, rather than "like a person", that's a turn-off.

Yes, you are being philosophical and well....not generally realistic.

You are a particular case and you made a particular community for yourself.

As I told you before, HETEROSEXUALS are less liberal and more homogenous in average.

Also I don't really believe that you being a female has no contribution at all to your many successes on okcupid ie. getting laid, having sex partners, bfs/gfs....etc.

And I don't get what "treated like a female" means - but if you ever slept with heterosexual guys, then I doubt they would treat you the same 100% exact way if you were male - for instance, they wouldn't have slept with you if you are male.

There's a realistic margin of freedom you can do within your society's expectations of your gender - and it depends greatly where you live, and what you work....

For example, surely I can choose to wear a skirt - there's nothing biological that prevents me to wear one - maybe I really want to wear a skirt for comfort reasons without being attributed to femininity or gayness, but that not what would really happen if I wear one.
The very possible social consequences to that: losing my job, and losing all my dating prospects around because they would see me as a gay or too effeminate (except some unicorn out there, but you know, we are not all lottery-winners), even losing respect from many people, even if attributing respect and person-worth to that is wrong, but it would surely happen.

- so yeah, I wouldn't dare to wear a skirt even if that helps to challenge gender roles....if it really does have any effect.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 22 Jul 2015, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 3:37 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

As I told you before, HETEROSEXUALS are less liberal and more homogenous in average.

Also I don't really believe that you being a female has no contribution at all to your many successes on okcupid ie. getting laid, having sex partners, bfs/gfs....etc.

And I don't get what "treated like a female" means - but if you ever slept with heterosexual guys, then I doubt they would treat you the same 100% exact way if you were male - for instance, they wouldn't have slept with you if you are male.

There's a realistic margin of freedom you can do within your society's expectations of your gender - and it depends greatly where you live, and what you work....

For example, surely I can choose to wear a skirt - there's nothing biological that prevents me to wear one - but surely there will be social consequences to that, like for example losing my job, or losing all my dating prospects around (except some unicorn out there, but you know, we are not all lottery-winners) - so yeah, I wouldn't dare to wear a skirt even if that helps to challenge gender roles....if it really does any effect.

Yeah, I've made a community for myself I suppose. That's sort of the point. If you don't like things the way they are, find others who like things the way you do.

If heterosexuals are less liberal and more homogenous, that should mean they are happier that way, yes? If you are that way, and want to be that way, be that way and don't complain. If you are not that way, seek others who also aren't.

Well I've never been a female who gets lots of messages on dating sites. I once made a fake profile that was basically everything I didn't want to be (including a photo of me from when I had long, blonde hair), and got inundated with messages. So it's me being the real me that makes me receive fewer messages. I send probably around as many messages as how many genuine ones I receive.

By "treated as a female", I mean treated in the stereotypical ways that men treat women (opening doors, paying for meals, being dominant, making the first move always, etc etc). Those are ways "men" behave towards "women", not "people" towards other "people".

Sure, do the things you are comfortable enough with. It took me a while this time around to shave my head, as I was worried about the consequences with work, dating, a number of things. But it was a lot less dramatic as I'd imagined. Some other things, sure, there will be dramatic effects, and you have to decide whether it is worse to be yourself and suffer some negative consequences, or be normal and suffer through being normal.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 3:45 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

For example, surely I can choose to wear a skirt - there's nothing biological that prevents me to wear one - but surely there will be social consequences to that, like for example losing my job, or losing all my dating prospects around (except some unicorn out there, but you know, we are not all lottery-winners) - so yeah, I wouldn't dare to wear a skirt even if that helps to challenge gender roles....if it really does any effect.

Yeah, I've made a community for myself I suppose. That's sort of the point. If you don't like things the way they are, find others who like things the way you do.

If heterosexuals are less liberal and more homogenous, that should mean they are happier that way, yes? If you are that way, and want to be that way, be that way and don't complain. If you are not that way, seek others who also aren't.

Well I've never been a female who gets lots of messages on dating sites. I once made a fake profile that was basically everything I didn't want to be (including a photo of me from when I had long, blonde hair), and got inundated with messages. So it's me being the real me that makes me receive fewer messages. I send probably around as many messages as how many genuine ones I receive.

By "treated as a female", I mean treated in the stereotypical ways that men treat women (opening doors, paying for meals, being dominant, making the first move always, etc etc). Those are ways "men" behave towards "women", not "people" towards other "people".

Sure, do the things you are comfortable enough with. It took me a while this time around to shave my head, as I was worried about the consequences with work, dating, a number of things. But it was a lot less dramatic as I'd imagined. Some other things, sure, there will be dramatic effects, and you have to decide whether it is worse to be yourself and suffer some negative consequences, or be normal and suffer through being normal.

Shaving hair for a girl is not to be compared to a guy wearing a skirt lol - the former, while not very accepted, wouldn't make you lose your job for instance, if appearance isn't too important for the industry you work in. Walking naked is more comparable :lol:.

You can never be 100% yourself, and do 100% what you really want without considering society's reactions at all, that's Utopiatik talk that I don't buy.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:05 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
How does making contact differ? In my world it does not differ at all.

Well, it does differ even if it isn't the way for me that it is for NTs. I still think I'm the one that primarily first signals interest (with eye contact), but then it differs from NTs in that girls needs to reciprocate and also take initiatives if something more is going to happen. So, it is definitely less of "guys do everything", but I still think there are gender roles in this game. They are just different. There is also a gender-biased issue (higher in females) about learning the routines of people you like, and I think this is part of the courtship game too.

yellowtamarin wrote:
Again, I see that as the same thing. A society is built by the majority. NTs are the majority, so a society is mostly an NT-built product. I don't "blame" anyone really, it works for NTs so that's fine. I just don't accept it as suitable for me, and so I do things my own way and perhaps I'm just fortunate (or just female! huh!) but this works well for me. I'm not sure if I'm playing games, I'm just doing what I want...what seems rational and logical and fair...perhaps that looks like some niche kind of game to others?

I agree. I'm like that too. However, NTs are not aware of the games they play in courtship, and neither was I before I started to analyze it with logic.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Shaving hair for a girl is not to be compared to a guy wearing a skirt lol - the former, while not very accepted, wouldn't make you lose your job for instance, if appearance isn't too important for the industry you work in. Walking naked is more comparable :lol:.

You can never be 100% yourself, and do 100% what you really want without considering society's reactions at all, that's Utopiatik talk that I don't buy.

Yeah different risks in different societies. In Australia we have anti-discrimination laws, so in most cases you could not be fired for wearing a skirt. I have seen men wearing skirts at work. Walking around naked isn't comparable because that's about indecent exposure regardless of sex, while shaved heads and skirts are about gender expectations.