Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:29 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
SteveK wrote:
I kept a set of VAX manuals because I might have used a VAX again(That is all but defunct now). I STILL have a CPM manual for some time in the future. HECK, I got a UNIX manual in the 80s, and I STILL use it!

LOL! I used to keep a set of AT&T Unix manuals for years. I don't have a CP/M manual any longer. I'm pretty sure I had Microsoft CP/M and Multiplan for the Apple IIe. :lol:

WOW, that IS funny! YEAH, I forgot to mention my unix manual WAS an AT&T manual ALSO! And it is good because I can use it to support my cases for and against compatibility. If it is in there, I KNOW it is compatible. If it isn't there, it probably isn't.

BTW Microsoft WAS the biggest provider of CP/M for the Apple. I actually sold the Appl-i-card which was a better CP/M processor(Twice as fast with LOCAL memory and expansion capability) for the Apple. The Microsoft basically gave the apple a lobotomy, and used a z80 to replace it with a slow interface to the memory. The Appl-i-card was a full blown self supporting z80B computer that simply communicated via the slow bus, while the apple handled all the non memory I/O.

For those that don't know, AT&T originally created UNIX, and BSD licensed it, and every other company uses either the AT&T variant, or the BSD one. BOTH support the AT&T subset though, which the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers(AKA I.E.E.E or "I triple E") laid out in their Portable Operating Systems Interface eXtensions(AKA P.O.S.I.X) that everyone tries to support. Even LINUX now supports the POSIX standard, and tries to look like BSD. There are slight differences between the appearance of AT&T and BSD, and Linux uses some Berkeley utilities/code, so you can tell. That AT&T book STILL works with it though! 8-)

BTW About 80% of my income comes through UNIX now! about 15% through windows, and 5% other! UNIX includes teradata, SUN, HP, IBM, SCO, Linux, netezza.

Steve

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:38 pm

Am I a hoarder? Yes and no. On one hand, I am moving soon and am giving away an amazing amount ot stuff to local charity shops so that I'll have less stuff to move with - stuff I really don't need. On the other hand, I have collected it in the first place.