Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:04 am

I knew before I was 18 that Social Security (USA) would never provide for a "retirement." So, if I wasn't in a capacity to get a job that provided a good pension and/or income to have enough private savings, I'd likely work until I die.

It's amazing how many of MY generation didn't grasp that, but now it's common knowledge.

I've also learned another thing....

You have no assurance you will live long enough to "retire" at the normal age to retire.

You have no assurance you will have the finances to do all the things you put off doing until you "retire."

You have no assurance you will have the health needed to do all the things you put off doing until you "retire."

Hence, I encourage people to pursue the things they want to do NOW, as best as they can on what finances they can manage while they have their health. A trip cross-country sleeping in campsites is easier on a younger body than it may be on an older one.

When you get to 40, all bets are off.

I also believe society benefits the young(er). Once you hit 40, opportunity is based more on what you've accomplished and can put on a resume. Otherwise, most times a younger, less-experienced person can be picked for the job...and it only gets worse as you get older.

Frolicking about without a "life plan" is no longer viable. You have a limited number of years to show you can be counted upon to get a job done before your age is seen as a liability with not countermeasure.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:41 pm

I'm 75 and who knows how much longer I have. I have today and that is wonderful. There are many thing I can't do now. I can't travel much, as I get hooked onto a dialysis machine every night and long time flying would be out of the question anyway. What I can do is important and taking pleasure and having joy in what I do is my decision.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 8:34 pm

When you're pushing into your late twenties, thirty looks dire but the door to engine failure seems premonstrative.

The pathways into another existence look to be a foretelling chapter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Frolicking about without a "life plan" is no longer viable. You have a limited number of years to show you can be counted upon to get a job done before your age is seen as a liability with not countermeasure.

you know what happens when you make plans? god laughs.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 4:45 am

Here I'm, just went to 20, never had a thought that my time is running out and end rushing to things... I'm very aware that one day I no longer have my parents on my back and fend for myself. I'm very aware too, that if I hit 50s or 60s, I might not do or have things that I could do at this present.
Nope, I'm more like waiting for my time to run out not because I'm suicidal or feeling useless 'so waste away', more like I want to do it fast no matter how miserable it might be. No, I'm not excited nor thought that "I'm too young for this yet", I'm more like curious what's going to happen.

I'm more curious to things on what's going on before my eyes than what's going to happen to me. I want to watch the world change with me as an audience. Plans? I have a few in long terms, yet I'm sure it doesn't involved marriage. :twisted:
Hell, I'm even curious when my own death will come. Like I said, not because I'm suicidal or suffering at anything.
I wonder when things end, or run out and I may or may not have a choice to delay or speed it up.

No, I'm not a hedonist or some optimist thinking I have some future waiting for me to take granted with, dealing with my choices is more of a bonus and a nuisance than a need. If not, it's the thing that would make me busy while waiting for my time to run out than the said running out of time as a deadline.

And I refuse to live in a race, in a competition, in fear, worry, or otherwise. :lol: Compliance with the NT realm is more than enough.

Sounded like I live in a lax life or a game, except not really. I'm more like living in a lifetime study of the world than pleasing something or someone else's nature or social drives of a demand.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

True. :lol:

Still, I find that teens who make an effort to go out and do something (get a job where they show they are reliable and can get the job done) often have little problem getting better opportunities once they find something they really want to do. At the very least, they have that positive job reference showing they are good workers.

People who don't do this and never find something to put their efforts toward find themselves in a bad place once they finally do find something they want to work toward.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 5:22 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

True. :lol: Still, I find that teens who make an effort to go out and do something (get a job where they show they are reliable and can get the job done) often have little problem getting better opportunities once they find something they really want to do. At the very least, they have that positive job reference showing they are good workers.
People who don't do this and never find something to put their efforts toward find themselves in a bad place once they finally do find something they want to work toward.

I was never able to do that, I just stumbled from one thing to the other until I got to where I'm at now. :nerdy: