Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

So recently there was a thread that talked about us having higher pain resistance and shorter overall healing time. What seemed to happen in the thread is that people said that large wounds didn't hurt as much as they felt it should. I was wondering how you all react to small things like when you're cooking meat and the fat/grease bubbles and splashes on you? In my case I freeze up and I start having something like tourettes and my arm starts to shake.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 7:03 pm

I use to cook a lot for my family, small little burns on my hands don't bother me much.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

Doesn't bother me, either. A brief sting. I love my bacon, so that's a good thing.

MikeHart25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2015, 2:07 am

ITS worse when you grill naked..trust me ;)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:28 am

A little sting here and there. The splashes on the clothes are worse.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:48 am

Jensen wrote:
A little sting here and there. The splashes on the clothes are worse.

Yes, oil stains can be tricky to remove, the splashes onto the surrounding surfaces irritate me. I use a splatter lid/guard. (Photo).

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 9:00 am

I hate that sting and may use running water to ease it. Couldn't burns lead to cancer? Probably I'm being paranoid. I think the fear is making the sting feel worse than it actually is.

I have completely stopped cooking that involves heating oil on the stove mainly because the splashes and evaporation make a mess around the stove and in the whole kitchen over a long period of time.

Amity wrote:
Yes, oil stains can be tricky to remove, the splashes onto the surrounding surfaces irritate me. I use a splatter lid/guard. (Photo).

Sounds like a good idea.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

Amity wrote:
I use a splatter lid/guard. (Photo).

I should definetly get one of these. I hate touching the covers on pots and pans because the handles are always constructed with metal so the heat transfers during cooking and I have to always use a towel to take of a lid.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 1:55 pm

Soomander wrote:
Amity wrote:
I use a splatter lid/guard. (Photo).

I should definetly get one of these. I hate touching the covers on pots and pans because the handles are always constructed with metal so the heat transfers during cooking and I have to always use a towel to take of a lid.

I use these when handling anything hot, I highly recommend them:
The outer cover is made from Lenzing FR which protects against heat stress up to 350C, the inside is cotton and they are machine washable. Since purchasing a pair I have dramatically reduced the amount of burns I get while cooking (usually with the oven).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 10:47 pm

I hate hot grease splattering on my skin or clothes but I never cook meat, and these days if I fry anything I avoid making the oil very hot - that gets me out of the risk of splashes, as well as preserving the kitchen walls from getting covered in grease from the condensation (no extractor fan or hood), and it might help to reduce the formation of acrylamide which is supposed to be quite toxic. I miss out on the joys of crispy fried food, which is a shame because I used to like that, but you can't have everything.

I don't like pain generally. I probably hate getting minor wounds more than the average person. The pain distracts me from more pleasant things, and I probably worry too much about minor physical harm. But I don't shake or get anything like tourettes, it just bugs me. With more intense pain and injury, I think I feel that just as much as the average person, though if I hyperfocus on something else I can sometimes screen out the bad sensations for a while.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 11:27 pm

I'm really sensitive to pain, so things tend to hurt a lot more than I think they should. Burns are just nasty... I'm constantly burning myself while cooking because I'm so clumsy :( But since pain is a constant thing with me, I've learned how to not react outwardly so much so while I might be screaming inside, I seem calm on the outside. Not always the best thing when dealing with medical people, I've found!