Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2015, 10:30 pm

it seems when people list the bands they listen to the most, its always some Rock bands. I feel like an outsider because most of it is the opposite of what I truly enjoy. It seems like its so common for people to listen to Rock and/or Rap music. People like myself who mainly enjoy Folk/Country music (especially Alt Country), feel like there aren't many people who share our tastes.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 1:10 am

Probably because you're in the minority. Not as many people listen to country music as people who listen to other genres.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 2:08 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
it seems when people list the bands they listen to the most, its always some Rock bands. I feel like an outsider because most of it is the opposite of what I truly enjoy. It seems like its so common for people to listen to Rock and/or Rap music. People like myself who mainly enjoy Folk/Country music (especially Alt Country), feel like there aren't many people who share our tastes.

I like a lot of rock, but I've heard some I don't like though it is a very wide category with lots of variation so its to be expected...I am more specifically into Metal and psychedelic rock. Not really into rap though especially the mainstream stuff that is really just obnoxious, also not much into most country...most of it sounds to popish for me.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
Probably because you're in the minority. Not as many people listen to country music as people who listen to other genres.

But why is that? I don't mind Rock music, but it doesn't sound as interesting as Country Music or Folk style music. I don't understand why its so popular and why more people listen to it. Listening to Rock music to me means going into "alternative" less familiar territory.

I really love Celtic music also. Is it because most people only like music for the beat and not the actual lyrics?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:21 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

The American mainstream has always been dominated by rock and pop. That's pretty much the cultural standard, as it has been since the 1950s.

Unless you're the sort of person who only listens to the biggest Top 40 hits, everyone feels their taste in music is often at odds with the general public. Heck, I listen primarily to ska, punk and progressive rock, the latter of which are within the "rock" music spectrum but still far removed from the type of "rock" which is popular in the mainstream. I know friends who are into metal and experimental rock and industrial rock and alternative rock and indie rock..."rock" is a very, very broad spectrum of sounds and styles and it would be unfair to group that all together as people who listen to the "same" kind of music.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

Just take pleasure in what you enjoy listening to. Everybody has different tastes, so I don't see how the musical preferences of the mainstream world is keeping you from what you enjoy.

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2015, 11:30 pm

Where I live its either rap or country. I love seeing white boy hillbillies in their beat up pick up trucks "bump'n".....I dunno...whatever rap "artist" is popular these days.

devilschild
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2015, 9:30 am

Rock is my favorite genre mostly because of how diverse it can be. It contains bands like the Stones to black metal bands like Watain. Though, rock isn't all I listen to. I like rap, blues, and classical.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 9:54 am

One country song is pretty much like any other. It's usually got sumpin to do with fallin in love, gittin married, havin kids, cheatin, losin love, gittin yer heart broke, drinkin, honky-tonkin, religion, politics, trains, trucks, guns, and love of country.

Then they's all 'at durned third-rate English ... :lol:

kagayaki
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2015, 10:51 am

Bah! You feel like an outsider because not many people list country music? I live in America, and I mostly only listen to Japanese or Korean music. ;)

I'm not holding my breath and expecting for anyone on my FB feed who has spent all of their life in Georgia to exclaim that Nogizaka46 is their favorite group. Of course, I guess that means I would have to get on Facebook first..

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jul 2015, 11:00 am

Rock is a pretty diverse range of music, I would include a lot of country especially the older stuff as rock like Elvis and Johnny Cash. A lot of the newer popular country music seems more like pop music, not my cup of tea but I'm not the target audience. People seem to project their prejudices on music sometimes, anyone that says they hate an entire genre of music unequivocally probably hates it for more than just taste in music.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

I don't think country is that unpopular, especially in recent years with country pop acts like Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia line. I also think rock is harder to define than country. I would say country is more popular than rock right now. todays country is more financially successful than the rock I listen to.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:07 pm

I admit I listen to Rock almost exclusively. Personally, I tend to enjoy so called Alternative Rock bands, such as Devo, Bare Naked Ladies, They Might Be Giants, R.E.M., The Black Keys, and The Flaming Lips. Avoiding all pretentiousness, the aforementioned bands aren't afraid to "not" take themselves too seriously, often singing quirky if not out-and-out funny stuff.
Almost ashamed as I am to admit it, though, I do listen to Lady Ga Ga :oops:, even though she's far too commercially successful for my taste. I tend to identify with her politics, and I very much like her uninhibited weirdness.

Jarring
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm

that's funny, because where i live.. most people listen to both country and rap.

i personally mostly listen to trip hop, EDM, and IDM.
my favorite band, plaid, is IDM.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

Jarring wrote:
that's funny, because where i live.. most people listen to both country and rap.

You know, I've actually heard many times that way in the deep south a lot of people actually do listen to rap, yet a lot of them are racist white guys. It sounds completely perplexing, but I've heard multiple eyewitness accounts.

Jarring

25 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Jarring wrote:

You know, I've actually heard many times that way in the deep south a lot of people actually do listen to rap, yet a lot of them are racist white guys. It sounds completely perplexing, but I've heard multiple eyewitness accounts.

I am from the deep south (Mobile, AL) ;)

And yes, they listen to ALOT of rap..
rap and country are the most common favorite genres down here. and yes, it is weird. lol