Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jarring
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Jarring wrote:
that's funny, because where i live.. most people listen to both country and rap.

You know, I've actually heard many times that way in the deep south a lot of people actually do listen to rap, yet a lot of them are racist white guys. It sounds completely perplexing, but I've heard multiple eyewitness accounts.

I am from the deep south (Mobile, AL) ;)

And yes, they listen to ALOT of rap..
rap and country are the most common favorite genres down here. and yes, it is weird. lol

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:22 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Jarring wrote:
that's funny, because where i live.. most people listen to both country and rap.

You know, I've actually heard many times that way in the deep south a lot of people actually do listen to rap, yet a lot of them are racist white guys. It sounds completely perplexing, but I've heard multiple eyewitness accounts.

I had a (former) friend who knew a guy from Louisiana who'd refer to Rock as n*gger music; but when he heard Rap, he said he liked it. This (former) friend told him just who it was playing the Rap.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:45 am

I find rap and country to be sort of diametrically opposed, with country often having melody but no beat, and rap beat without melody. I listen to a lot more rock and rap than I do country, which I attribute both to where I was raised, where country music was rare, and to my aspieness gimping my sense of rhythm, making me drawn to more beat heavy music. Personally, it's easier for me to lay out what I don't listen to, which is smooth jazz, soft rock, religious music, and opera, as that's a much shorter list than what I do. I like twangy, boot-scootin' country, not so much the contemporary stuff or the ballads, and love rockabilly.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:37 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
Probably because you're in the minority. Not as many people listen to country music as people who listen to other genres.

But why is that? I don't mind Rock music, but it doesn't sound as interesting as Country Music or Folk style music. I don't understand why its so popular and why more people listen to it. Listening to Rock music to me means going into "alternative" less familiar territory.

I really love Celtic music also. Is it because most people only like music for the beat and not the actual lyrics?

I like music for the music as a whole, though a lot of stuff I listen to I don't understand the lyrics because its in other languages..but I will like the way the vocals are done. Also though what is to say rock and folk type music are totally separate there is Folk Metal:

And this one is a little heavier/more extreme but still very much folk metal.

May not be your cup of tea either.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:
Probably because you're in the minority. Not as many people listen to country music as people who listen to other genres.

But why is that? I don't mind Rock music, but it doesn't sound as interesting as Country Music or Folk style music. I don't understand why its so popular and why more people listen to it. Listening to Rock music to me means going into "alternative" less familiar territory.

I really love Celtic music also. Is it because most people only like music for the beat and not the actual lyrics?

I like music for the music as a whole, though a lot of stuff I listen to I don't understand the lyrics because its in other languages..but I will like the way the vocals are done. Also though what is to say rock and folk type music are totally separate there is Folk Metal:

And this one is a little heavier/more extreme but still very much folk metal.

May not be your cup of tea either.

That's actually cool! :thumleft:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 1:44 am

Finntroll is an amazing black folk metal band.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 2:22 pm

I like classic and modern country as well as rock, 50's-80's rock for the most part.

I think it might be a stretch saying that everyone likes rock. In my part of the US, I get the sense that Pop, Modern Country, Rap, and Hip Hop are what the majority enjoy. Not many people are willing to enjoy Buddy Holley, Traveling Wilbury's, Tanya Tucker, or Peter Frampton with me. I guess it is regional as to what are the popular genres; based on age, income, etc.

I think in one way or another, we are all in a minority in something. Examples with me being that I enjoy film scores and enjoy silent movies.

Katira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2015, 8:57 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
it seems when people list the bands they listen to the most, its always some Rock bands. I feel like an outsider because most of it is the opposite of what I truly enjoy. It seems like its so common for people to listen to Rock and/or Rap music. People like myself who mainly enjoy Folk/Country music (especially Alt Country), feel like there aren't many people who share our tastes.
People today hear certain kinds of music everywhere, I think they/we are brainwashed since childhood. Also, for many people it´s not only about the music as such, but also the image that goes with it.

When younger I listened to rock too, and Led Zep, Black Crowes and some others still are kind of "holy" to me.
But somewhere down the road I seem to have gotten a new pair of ears, and discovered a whole new world of music. Via blues to jazz, soul, reggea and ska to Africa, via North Africa to Middle East and ancient religious chants.

Some of my favourites at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRLf-Q3WtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-J1hVGzWro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K61xMHfzaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5Rro5I7hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB1scKselg4

Still feel like an outsider, in comparison? :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:45 am

thewrll wrote:
Finntroll is an amazing black folk metal band.

Fintroll is one of my favorites.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 5:38 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
it seems when people list the bands they listen to the most, its always some Rock bands. I feel like an outsider because most of it is the opposite of what I truly enjoy. It seems like its so common for people to listen to Rock and/or Rap music. People like myself who mainly enjoy Folk/Country music (especially Alt Country), feel like there aren't many people who share our tastes.

There's nothing wrong with having a different taste. I primarily like Rock music which can be broken down into several sub-genres but I also have a lot of respect for other genres as well, hence I listen to Rap, Reggae, Folk, Blues, Funk Punk, Metal, Electronic and Dance as a few examples.
Just because you listen to music that isn't common, it shouldn't make you feel like an outsider. Be happy that you can experience music differently.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 10:10 am

^^^
I really liked Hysteria.

jackinblack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2015, 7:57 am

It's not only rock music, but I must say I would very surprised when I joined this forum. I have never before met or interacted with others like me and it was a surprise to see that most music you folks are into, is my music. And this is not just about one genre but a match in many different genres like core and psychotrance.

It is curious how people with similar minds share their taste for music.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 8:16 am

I think it's a cultural thing. Growing up, people in Western countries tend to be exposed to a lot of rock music. The same can largely be said for genres like pop, rap, or even electronic music. Interestingly, I think I developed my taste for industrial music from spending time watching my dad play computer games at a young age, and I think video game music is also partially what fostered my interest in electronic and symphonic music. My liking for punk and heavy metal simply came from having a liking for fast tempos and heavy guitars.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

I like any piece of music that I mind mentally stimulating.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm

This is one of the best death metal albums I've heard in a long time. \m/ \m/ I found it by searching for "grindcore" on YouTube, and I was expecting something completely lame and amelodic. Turns out I was wrong. 8)

Bratz
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2018, 6:58 pm

I can't stand rock or metal etc at all but I don't live in the USA...

I listen to Hard-Trance, Gabber, Speedcore, Happy Hardcore, Terrorcore, Hard House, Jumpstyle, Hardstyle etc... from the 90's and 00's...
Americans online when I play my music they often can't handle it... I guess its a different culture thing...
I'm okay with Rap/Hip Hop but I really can't stand anything rock...
so not everyone like rock music... I'm part of the few kinda hate rock and find it overrated...
I'm not so used to country music because its not popular where I live... I can't say so much about country music.