Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:36 am

Quote:
A man opened fire inside a movie theater in a Lafayette, Louisiana, multiplex, Thursday night, killing two people and wounding seven others -- before taking his own life.

"There's nothing to believe that there was any kind of motive," said Col. Michael Edmonson of the Louisiana State Police.

The shooter was a 58-year-old white man who was a theater patron, police said. Authorities have his name but are withholding it as the investigation continues.

The shooting took place shortly before 8:30 p.m ET at the Grand Theatre 16 in Lafayette, a city of about 120,000 people, 60 miles west of Baton Rouge.

About 100 people were inside the theater for a screening of the comedy, "Trainwreck," when the shooter began firing using a handgun, police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/23/us/louisiana-theater-shooting/

Apparently, he shot two dead; then, another one died, later.

I think it's interesting that this guy's not in his 20s, which seems to be the usual profile.

I hope he left a note, or something, so that we might have insight, as to why.....

So sad.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Horrible. It's sad that these tragedies have become so routine that nobody is really shocked by them, anymore.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

Another one? This is starting to make me not want to go to the movies...though I realize that is a different state and town but f***, I guess schools were so 90's. That said I usually sit in the back of the movie theater or wherever I have the best vision of all the ways in/out so if I see anything weird I can leave.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm

How is it that we shouldn't blame all Muslims for the Chattanooga shootings, but we see others blaming all conservatives for the Louisiana shootings?

Something to consider: Mass shootings have stayed level since the early 1990s. They aren't increasing in frequency or number of injuries and deaths.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
How is it that we shouldn't blame all Muslims for the Chattanooga shootings, but we see others blaming all conservatives for the Louisiana shootings?

Something to consider: Mass shootings have stayed level since the early 1990s. They aren't increasing in frequency or number of injuries and deaths.

Who said we should blame all conservatives for the Louisiana shootings? You're the first one who has brought that up, worried there may be dirty liberals lurking in this thread waiting to derail it with screams of "Its the all the conservatives fault these shootings happen!"?

Not sure where this comes from since this shooting likely has nothing to do with the other one you're referring to, where it seems some extremist right wing views did play a role...its unclear what the deal is here.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Jul 2015, 1:08 pm

Seems like another one where all the warning signs were there unfortunately, described as a "drifter" whose family became estranged to the point of fearing him. Was treated for some sort of mental illness back in 2008/2009. Was previously declined a CCW because he was arrested for arson. Lots of money troubles, evicted.

Its unfortunate that all we talk about are guns or what political beliefs these killers have and don't pay any attention to how they fell thru the cracks in the first place. I have to imagine some of this could be avoided.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

Another frustrated, angry, disgruntled person with a gun. Why not just take a chill pill instead?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:50 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Seems like another one where all the warning signs were there unfortunately, described as a "drifter" whose family became estranged to the point of fearing him. Was treated for some sort of mental illness back in 2008/2009. Was previously declined a CCW because he was arrested for arson. Lots of money troubles, evicted.

Its unfortunate that all we talk about are guns or what political beliefs these killers have and don't pay any attention to how they fell thru the cracks in the first place. I have to imagine some of this could be avoided.

I can tell you how he most likely fell through the cracks -

White
Male
Elderly.

So no one thinks he's a threat.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

Why do they immediately jump on mental illness as an excuse? Why can't a racist bigoted white man be an evil f**k withot trying to make mental illness an excuse? Just because he has no other excuse for how he f****d up his life? It makes me sick how the media perpetuates.this crap

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Another one? This is starting to make me not want to go to the movies...though I realize that is a different state and town but f***, I guess schools were so 90's. That said I usually sit in the back of the movie theater or wherever I have the best vision of all the ways in/out so if I see anything weird I can leave.

"Witnesses said Mr. Houser stood at the back of the auditorium, which had steeply pitched, stadium-style seating, and fired down at others".
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/us/la ... .html?_r=0

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 3:16 am

I find it truly amazing that only 3 people were killed. I imagine if I set my mind to it, I could kill more than three people at once if I really wanted to.

Makes me think this person acted out of impulse and didn't plan his actions out very well. Perhaps a nihilistic act of self-destruction.

I think that very few people will act out violent this way. On the other hand, I think that if communities were more tightly knit, then these violent acts would occur less often.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2015, 10:27 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I find it truly amazing that only 3 people were killed. I imagine if I set my mind to it, I could kill more than three people at once if I really wanted to.

Makes me think this person acted out of impulse and didn't plan his actions out very well. Perhaps a nihilistic act of self-destruction.

I think that very few people will act out violent this way. On the other hand, I think that if communities were more tightly knit, then these violent acts would occur less often.

He planed well enough to arrange his getaway car. Not exactly someone with poor executive function, or even some paranoid mentality.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:

These people are rarely if ever shooters and cannot hit the side of a barn.
Example: Dylann Roof had to reload 5 times to knock off 9 people and wound one even though the Glock 41 he used holds 13 rounds per magazine. That means it took him 65 (+/- a few) rounds to shoot 10 people at close range.

The article on the Lafayette theater shooting doesn't go into details other than he did use some kinda handgun and fired multiple rounds. He probably sprayed instead of aiming.

It's typical for these people to un-ass a disproportionate amount of rounds for the number of people actually shot but then again its the same for the average cop.....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

Raptor wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

These people are rarely if ever shooters and cannot hit the side of a barn.
Example: Dylann Roof had to reload 5 times to knock off 9 people and wound one even though the Glock 41 he used holds 13 rounds per magazine. That means it took him 65 (+/- a few) rounds to shoot 10 people at close range.

The article on the Lafayette theater shooting doesn't go into details other than he did use some kinda handgun and fired multiple rounds. He probably sprayed instead of aiming.

It's typical for these people to un-ass a disproportionate amount of rounds for the number of people actually shot but then again its the same for the average cop.....

And yet guns are the answer to keeping everyone safe... :?:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:32 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

With 2.5 million DGUs every year in the United States, I would say that private firearms keeps most individuals safe.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:35 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

With 2.5 million DGUs every year in the United States, I would say that private firearms keeps most individuals safe.

But...it sounds like for ever bullet that hits....twenty more miss. At least I know when they often missed while firing the lasers in Star Wars movies it wasn't merely because of Hollywood inaccuracies and lousy aim.