Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:35 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And yet guns are the answer to keeping everyone safe... :?:

With 2.5 million DGUs every year in the United States, I would say that private firearms keeps most individuals safe.

But...it sounds like for ever bullet that hits....twenty more miss. At least I know when they often missed while firing the lasers in Star Wars movies it wasn't merely because of Hollywood inaccuracies and lousy aim.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 2:39 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
I find it truly amazing that only 3 people were killed. I imagine if I set my mind to it, I could kill more than three people at once if I really wanted to.

These people are rarely if ever shooters and cannot hit the side of a barn.
Example: Dylann Roof had to reload 5 times to knock off 9 people and wound one even though the Glock 41 he used holds 13 rounds per magazine. That means it took him 65 (+/- a few) rounds to shoot 10 people at close range.

The article on the Lafayette theater shooting doesn't go into details other than he did use some kinda handgun and fired multiple rounds. He probably sprayed instead of aiming.

It's typical for these people to un-ass a disproportionate amount of rounds for the number of people actually shot but then again its the same for the average cop.....

More evidence that you are an anti because that is a signature attitude of a truly anti-gun protectionist.
Thanks!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

With 2.5 million DGUs every year in the United States, I would say that private firearms keeps most individuals safe.

But...it sounds like for ever bullet that hits....twenty more miss. At least I know when they often missed while firing the lasers in Star Wars movies it wasn't merely because of Hollywood inaccuracies and lousy aim.

Not quite 20 shots fired for every bullet that reaches its target. But, among U.S. law-enforcement officers, a 20-percent accuracy is true according to U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics and FBI data (they actually have required paperwork for every shot fired by LEOs). Among concealed-firearm permit holders, the results are almost inverted where their accuracy is about 80 percent. I don't have a citation; this is what was described to my concealed-permit class by its instructor. Finally, the 2.5 million DGUs statistics also show that no shots are fired 92 percent of the time. Merely informing the perpetrator that the victim is armed (verbally and/or visually) is enough to end the crime immediately.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

Raptor wrote:
More evidence that you are an anti because that is a signature attitude of a truly anti-gun protectionist.
Thanks!

What bull! Did you know I have never even discussed it with anyone governmental? How can you deduct I am anti this or that simply from these posts? I like to explore and point out fallacies and errors in judgment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 7:10 pm

Expect metal detectors and armed guards coming to a theater near you!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 7:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Only if liability insurers choose to require exhibitors to adopt such measures. Having worked in cinemas and theatres most of my life, the exhibitors earn very little as it is (ever since Star Wars, ticket prices are defined by the distributers who usually receive near 100 percent of the admission revenue for the first few weeks or months; exhibitors receive 30-50 percent of concession sales; advertising costs are sometimes shared with distributers, but end up costing exhibitors a lot of money; finally, wages, salaries, and maintenance and operation costs take what remains).

Ponying up for security and metal detectors are simply prohibitive to exhibitors. But, then, backrupting exhibitors might be someone's idea of fun.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 9:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Thanks!

What bull! Did you know I have never even discussed it with anyone governmental? How can you deduct I am anti this or that simply from these posts? I like to explore and point out fallacies and errors in judgment.

Given your many other anti-gun leaning posts I'd say I'm spot on. You basically said that "guns are not the answer" or "more violence is not the answer". Given the brevity of your post, it doesn't leave the reader with many other conclusions to arrive at.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Only if liability insurers choose to require exhibitors to adopt such measures. Having worked in cinemas and theatres most of my life, the exhibitors earn very little as it is (ever since Star Wars, ticket prices are defined by the distributers who usually receive near 100 percent of the admission revenue for the first few weeks or months; exhibitors receive 30-50 percent of concession sales; advertising costs are sometimes shared with distributers, but end up costing exhibitors a lot of money; finally, wages, salaries, and maintenance and operation costs take what remains).

Ponying up for security and metal detectors are simply prohibitive to exhibitors. But, then, backrupting exhibitors might be someone's idea of fun.

Added expense aside, too many of the patrons won't tolerate it. The sheeple will love it because it gives them the warm fuzzy albeit false sense of security they so crave, but for the rest of us who actually have a clue it'll be taken as an intrusion.

Metal detectors don't always work. I went through one with a SIG P-228 and a spare mag on my person without setting it off.

Security guards can't be everywhere and the ones that are actually good at what they do don't come cheap.

We had a few threads on this subject after that theater shooting in Colorado back in ’12. We had some real anti-gun liberal fruitloops to contend with back then.